Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #31
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I have been schooled... Thanks.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What the hell is the point of "debunking" fiction?
Exactly
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #33
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Exactly
In this case "debunking the novel" may be a euphemism for "knocking some sense into the gullible."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
In this case "debunking the novel" may be a euphemism for "knocking some sense into the gullible."
I'm inclined to let the gullible live in their own happy little world
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #35
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Did Dan Brown make a lot of money out of this book?
Yes?
So does he give a flying f*** that we are panning it several years after it would normally be mouldering away at the back of a few bookshelves?
No, thought not
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #36
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Books on Board has finally changed the price to free and if any of you (like me) are among the few people left that prefer PDFs, they have that format available.

link

I'd get it quickly, though. Neither the PDF nor EPUB has the extra promotional chapter that other sellers currently have and I've noticed other books on my wishlist losing the PDF option when they're updated to new editions.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What the hell is the point of "debunking" fiction?

I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail long before TDVC was published, too. I found it quite interesting, but not in the least bit "thrilling."
I think the debunking was brought about because of the reaction at the time to the book. The hype attributed a serious amount of truth to the story and I think the debunking was introduced to as a natural counter-measure.

Of course, the debunking was likely to sell just as well as the original lie. That certainly wouldn't have hurt.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I think the debunking was brought about because of the reaction at the time to the book. The hype attributed a serious amount of truth to the story and I think the debunking was introduced to as a natural counter-measure.

Of course, the debunking was likely to sell jusit as well as the original lie. That certainly wouldn't have hurt.
I think you're probably right. Many people seem to be seeking to debunk things that were never claimed as fact (except maybe by the hype machine) in the first place.

For those that haven't read it, there's a single page at the beginning that lists the things it (the story/the author) actually claims as fact. It's very easy to find. It actually starts with the word "Fact:" and it's followed by a very short list of things. I find no inacurracies or falsehoods in that short list, myself. The rest?... there should be no expectation of accuracy in my opinion. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #39
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
I got an email from Copia that they've also now made it free.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #40
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Thank you!
OK, got it from Amazon Canada.
Thanks for the tip!
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #41
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I got an email from Copia that they've also now made it free.
Here's the link for the Copia one... http://www.thecopia.com/catalog/deta...ml?catId=20116
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #42
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It actually starts with the word "Fact:" and it's followed by a very short list of things. I find no inacurracies or falsehoods in that short list, myself. The rest?... there should be no expectation of accuracy in my opinion. *shrugs*
"FACT: The Priory of Sion--a European secret society founded in 1099--is a real organization."

This seems to be a myth created by Pierre Plantard in 1956. He may have gotten the name from the Abbey of Our Lady of Mount Zion in the 12th century.

"All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."

I'm not as knowledgeable about art and architecture, but from what I've read he made numerous mistakes there as well.

I don't normally fault fiction for historical inaccuracy. Dan Brown gave interviews where he made enormous claims about historical accuracy. That makes him fair game.

My main complaint is that this was the most boring thriller that I've ever read. Of course, I don't read a lot of thrillers.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I liked the movie better
Old 03-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #44
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I liked the movie better
Sorry to be shallow, but I couldn't get past Tom Hanks' haircut.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #45
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Still free on Amazon. yey! Thank you
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote