Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Transfering book details (publisher etc.) to Kobo Glo

I have a Kobo Glo with firmware 2.1.5 (r43939), but not sure if this is a device-specific problem. I'm new to Calibre and ebooks in general.

For books downloaded from Kobo shop a synopsis and details of publisher, publication date, ISBN, language, file size and format are available in the reader by selecting "View Details" from the book's menu.

But for books loaded from Calibre 0.9.7 the publisher and ISBN are missing even though I have added these details in Calibre's "Edit metadata" form. Synopsis, publication date and other details show correctly.

I upgraded to Calibre 0.98 but now it seems the publication date is also missing.

Is there a setting in Calibre I need to change to get this information to transfer?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, this is at least partly a problem on the Kobo side. When the device sees a sideloaded book, it process the book, extracts metadata and puts it into an internal database. That is used for the library list and details when using the device. From what I have seen, it doesn't read the ISBN or publisher from the sideloaded books. But, it does read the published date.

For the published date, the device seems to read exactly what is in the metadata of the file and store that as string in the database. If this is something it can recognise as a date or timestamp, it will display the date part. The timestamp that calibre writes in the date is something that the device was OK with. If it isn't being displayed, something is different in the firmware. What version are you running?

As to the publisher and ISBN, there isn't much you can do. The device doesn't read them, so they don't get into the database. Unless calibre is doing something wrong when it writes the metadata. And I doubt that that is the case.

Right now, there is nothing you can do. Unless you want to update the database on the device yourself. But this might change soon.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for that explaination, I have firmware 2.1.5 (r43939) and that hasn't changed since I bought the device. Its a minor issue, so no problem to wait for it to be sorted out in a future firmware or calibre version.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote