Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #106
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Since it relies mostly on diags, and not main, should be good.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #107
J_VM
J_VM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try it, report back.
It will either work or do no harm.
Thank you, it looks like it worked! I got the book "you are jailbroken" !
J_VM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #108
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_VM View Post
Thank you, it looks like it worked! I got the book "you are jailbroken" !
Thanks for checking and for the report.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #109
nurusz
Enthusiast
nurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Ok, the K4 is jailbreaken. after the process was finished I got a new file that say " You are jailbroken "
The question is how can I inter to the root directory and read/write/change what ever ?
In the root directory i see only the Duokan files which I installed before the jailbreak.
I tried to use FTP but it failed to connect to K4

Last edited by nurusz; 07-06-2015 at 04:36 PM.
nurusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #110
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurusz View Post
Ok, the K4 is jailbreaken. after the process was finished I got a new file that say " You are jailbroken "
The question is how can I inter to the root directory and read/write/change what ever ?
In the root directory i see only the Duokan files which I installed before the jailbreak.
I tried to use FTP but it failed to connect to K4
Install our USBnetworking package.
Then use either TelNet or SSH over either the USB cable or WiFi.
(or sshfs, IIRC)
Advert
Old 12-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #111
aikau
aikau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver B00E
I am trying to jailbreak my K4NT. Opened https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking , downloaded/unpacked/copied "data.tar.gz & ENABLE_DIAGS files plus the diagnostic_logs folders to the Kindle's USB drive's root" and restarted the kindle Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Restart. And it rebooted into the normal firmware, not a diag mode. The battery indicator reports full. What else to check?
aikau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #112
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@aikau: make sure your OS isn't appending any 'helpful' extensions to the files, and that you are indeed extracting everything to the root of the device.

I'm not aware of any K4 ever refusing to boot into diags, so I'm assuming PEBCAK here.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #113
aikau
aikau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver B00E
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@aikau: make sure your OS isn't appending any 'helpful' extensions to the files, and that you are indeed extracting everything to the root of the device.

I'm not aware of any K4 ever refusing to boot into diags, so I'm assuming PEBCAK here.
OS is fedora 22.

[aik@aik K4_JailBreak]$ cd /run/media/aik/Kindle/
[aik@aik Kindle]$ rm -rf .active-content-data/
[aik@aik Kindle]$ rm -rf .dropbox.device
[aik@aik Kindle]$ rm -rf *
[aik@aik Kindle]$ cd ~/Downloads/kindle/jailbreak/K4_JailBreak/
[aik@aik K4_JailBreak]$ cp -r data.tar.gz ENABLE_DIAGS diagnostic_logs/ /run/media/aik/Kindle/
[aik@aik K4_JailBreak]$ ls -la /run/media/aik/Kindle/
total 80
drwxr-xr-x. 3 aik aik 8192 Dec 23 11:37 .
drwxr-x---+ 7 root root 140 Dec 23 11:36 ..
-rw-r--r--. 1 aik aik 59938 Dec 23 11:37 data.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x. 2 aik aik 8192 Dec 23 11:37 diagnostic_logs
-rw-r--r--. 1 aik aik 0 Dec 23 11:37 ENABLE_DIAGS

After safe removal ("eject" in caja and waited till kindle switches back to its books menu) + restart:

[aik@aik K4_JailBreak]$ ls -la /run/media/aik/Kindle/
total 72
drwxr-xr-x. 5 aik aik 8192 Jan 1 1970 .
drwxr-x---+ 7 root root 140 Dec 23 11:39 ..
drwxr-xr-x. 2 aik aik 8192 Jul 21 2012 .active-content-data
drwxr-xr-x. 2 aik aik 40960 May 30 2015 documents
-rw-r--r--. 1 aik aik 0 May 31 2015 DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR
-rw-r--r--. 1 aik aik 56 Feb 13 2013 .dropbox.device
drwxr-xr-x. 4 aik aik 8192 Jan 10 2015 system

_Everything_ is back as it was before "rm", including all books. Where exactly is PEBCAK here? Thanks.
aikau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #114
knc1
Going Viral

That one is easy to see, eMMC controller failure (its built into the eMMC device).
See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=3
Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #115
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As knc1 says, being unable to permanently delete files (reappearing books ) is a sure sign that write operations to the device's internal storage have totally failed.

The ENABLE_DIAGS flag was therefore never actually created...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:13 AM   #116
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup. Or the fuse proxy got its panties in a twist, but that usually means something's wonky on a lower level... (although I vaguely remember having it seen happen on perfectly sane devices).

On the off-chance: what happens if you try a factory reset? (Be warned: if there is indeed a HW failure, this might very well kill it dead).
Old 12-23-2015, 01:08 AM   #117
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yup. Or the fuse proxy got its panties in a twist, but that usually means something's wonky on a lower level... (although I vaguely remember having it seen happen on perfectly sane devices).

- - - -
Where is that .dropbox.device coming from?
Reads like an add-in that you haven't mentioned being installed.
Where is it writing? /mnt/us or /mnt/base-us?

What else is installed that might be writing to the proxy?

I see that you did not cut&paste the list command output in-between code tags -
So is what you did post only a partial approximation or is that exactly the output of ls?
(reason: I see some other unusual things in those listings)

Last edited by knc1; 12-23-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #118
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want to JB my K4NT and by reading the instructions, I see the previous thing is to copy to my Kindle root:

— data.tar.gz file
— ENABLE_DIAGS file
— diagnostic_logs folder

But inside the kindle-k4-jailbreak-1.8.N.zip file also there is a "keys" folder. Don't I have to copy also that folder to my Kindle root? If not, for what is that folder?

Finally, my FW version is 4.1.3, can I JB my Kindle with the current version of JB?

Many thanks in advance.
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #119
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@RbnJrg:

Most likely, yes, since we rely much more on diags than on main.

As for the keys folder, surprisingly, it contains... keys (OTA & KDK). Vaguely useful for adventurous developers. A relic of how the original version used to be packaged.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #120
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@RbnJrg:

Most likely, yes, since we rely much more on diags than on main.

As for the keys folder, surprisingly, it contains... keys (OTA & KDK). Vaguely useful for adventurous developers. A relic of how the original version used to be packaged.
Thank you very much for your quick answer! I tried the procedure and now I'm in a bit issue. After the step 4) "Q) To continue" (and I press "Left" on the 5-way keypad), I return to the previous step, that is, I see again the option Select "R) Reboot System". If I select this, then I'm going again to "Q) To continue" and so on. I'm in an endless loop. So, how can I escape of that?

Thank you very much in advance.
Rubén

Last edited by RbnJrg; 03-17-2016 at 06:59 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, k4nt