Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Cover Handling changed in 0.8.65?

I have a question regarding the handling of covers in Version 0.8.65.
Everytime I get a new book (DRM-Free ePub) I usually replace it's cover. I do that, because the covers some books come with are to small. I don't like it when the covers have white spaces around them, I want them to stretch over the complete page.

What I usually do is delete the existing cover in Metadata, add the cover I want and convert the book to epub again. In the "Epub Output"-Options I choose "No default cover". Up until 0.8.65 the file that came out after the convertion looked as I wanted it, with the cover streched out over the whole page. I know the covers look somewhat strechted like that but I still prefer that to smaller covers with white spaces around them. Now with 0.8.65 the new covers don't stretch anymore. They have white spaces around them.

Was that changed on purpose or is it a bug? I'm back at Version 0.8.63 right now and with that version the covers change like I want them to after I convert the epub.

Thanks!
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It has nothing to do with the covers. Like the button with the yellow scroll icon in it in the top right corner of the viewer and the covers will look like they did before. The viewer now defaults to "paged mode" in that mode, all pages including the cover have margins.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the quick response! That was stupid of me in retrospect. Could have found that out by myself.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
I have a question regarding the handling of covers in Version 0.8.65.
Everytime I get a new book (DRM-Free ePub) I usually replace it's cover. I do that, because the covers some books come with are to small. I don't like it when the covers have white spaces around them, I want them to stretch over the complete page.

What I usually do is delete the existing cover in Metadata, add the cover I want and convert the book to epub again. In the "Epub Output"-Options I choose "No default cover". Up until 0.8.65 the file that came out after the convertion looked as I wanted it, with the cover streched out over the whole page. I know the covers look somewhat strechted like that but I still prefer that to smaller covers with white spaces around them. Now with 0.8.65 the new covers don't stretch anymore. They have white spaces around them.

Was that changed on purpose or is it a bug? I'm back at Version 0.8.63 right now and with that version the covers change like I want them to after I convert the epub.

Thanks!
You are going about this all wrong. To change the cover, you do not want to convert the ePub > ePub. That has the potential for making a right mess. Don't do it that way.

Go into the metadata editor and drag the new cover on top of the old cover and click OK. The use the Modify ePub plugin to replace the existing cover with the new cover and you will have your new cover without going ePub > ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Cap.T
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are going about this all wrong. To change the cover, you do not want to convert the ePub > ePub. That has the potential for making a right mess. Don't do it that way.

Go into the metadata editor and drag the new cover on top of the old cover and click OK. The use the Modify ePub plugin to replace the existing cover with the new cover and you will have your new cover without going ePub > ePub.
Thanks for the tip!
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
Thanks for the tip!
Modify ePub does not change the ePub in any way that is messy when you are updating/changing/adding the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote