Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Hard to make a decent picture but here goes
Thanks! That's a great comparison. The paper copy is obviously sharper (even the tiny furigana is clear and legible) but as far as 6" screens go, the iRiver Story HD is pretty decent. Hmm, what manga is that?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
エンジェル伝説 / Angel Densetsu.

The device itself is fine for manga, however there's the same issue you have with PDF - the input material just isn't made for ereaders. Scans usually are not in the right dimensions, not cropped properly, color is not a perfect white / black where it should be, etc.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Scans usually are not in the right dimensions, not cropped properly, color is not a perfect white / black where it should be, etc.
Yes, well, since those tend to follow the dimensions of the paper, can't really do much about fitting it to a reader. As for cropping, white/black levels, etc that really depends on the skill of the cleaner and/or editor and quality of the original scans. Does the iRiver Story HD support ZIP/RAR/CBZ/CBR files?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yes, well, since those tend to follow the dimensions of the paper, can't really do much about fitting it to a reader. As for cropping, white/black levels, etc that really depends on the skill of the cleaner and/or editor and quality of the original scans. Does the iRiver Story HD support ZIP/RAR/CBZ/CBR files?
ZIP is officially supported and I think CBZ unofficially works as well.

You should browse the mobileread iriver story subforum, if you haven't already.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #20
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashi View Post
...are there any manga reader here, who read on a 6" and think its totally fine?...
-yashi
Short answer: 7 inches is too small. And e-ink is a poor choice for manga (or comics for that matter).

Long Answer: I have a nook color and tried to read manga on it before with the Perfect Viewer app. While it works, it is never perfect. If I want to see the entire page at once, then it's zoomed out enough that the picture becomes too small to enjoy properly in my opinion. Or I can read with 100% zoom, in which case constantly panning to see the entire page also quickly becomes annoying.

Now, if you're just reading a weekly chapter or two, it's perfectly adequate. But if you want to read entire volumes or a complete series, you'll be much better off with a 10 inch tablet.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #21
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
Short answer: 7 inches is too small. And e-ink is a poor choice for manga (or comics for that matter).

Long Answer: I have a nook color and tried to read manga on it before with the Perfect Viewer app. While it works, it is never perfect. If I want to see the entire page at once, then it's zoomed out enough that the picture becomes too small to enjoy properly in my opinion. Or I can read with 100% zoom, in which case constantly panning to see the entire page also quickly becomes annoying.

Now, if you're just reading a weekly chapter or two, it's perfectly adequate. But if you want to read entire volumes or a complete series, you'll be much better off with a 10 inch tablet.

what about a 10inch eink reader?
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
doesn't exist,
however, Ectaco Jetbook Color will be the ace reader for pdf and comic books, next to the kindle DX (which might be the largest reader in size).

The issue lies not with screen size, the issue lies with resolution.
At a resolution of 800x600 pixels, on a 6 or 7" reader device, you can barely read most PDF's and comic books in landscape mode ( on the PRS505 that means you can only see half a page per page flip).

At portrait mode (full screen) you can see the images pretty ok, but reading the text is difficult, if not, impossible.

There are comic books optimized for small screens, but they require you to pageflip almost constantly. By the time you finished the pageflip, you have to press again, because it takes time to load the next page, and generally there's not much info on it.
Most comic books I find online, are optimized for a minimum resolution of 1024x768; 1280x800 is even better!

Judging from that, I'd say that the smallest e-reader to comfortably read most CBR/CBZ/PDF files on, will be the Jetbook Color (sold for $499 starting January 2012), or the Kindle DX (you can still find them for $300).

The problem with the kindle DX is file formats. It does not read CBR/CBZ, but does support Kindle (AZW) and PDF format.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-10-2011 at 07:25 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #23
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
More options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
doesn't exist,

Judging from that, I'd say that the smallest e-reader to comfortably read most CBR/CBZ/PDF files on, will be the Jetbook Color (sold for $499 starting January 2012), or the Kindle DX (you can still find them for $300).

The problem with the kindle DX is file formats. It does not read CBR/CBZ, but does support Kindle (AZW) and PDF format.

What about Onyx M90,M91,M92 or Pocketbook PB 902,PB903,PB912?
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
fsvum
Enthusiast
fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!fsvum , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
doesn't exist,
however, Ectaco Jetbook Color will be the ace reader for pdf and comic books, next to the kindle DX (which might be the largest reader in size).

At a resolution of 800x600 pixels, on a 6 or 7" reader device, you can barely read most PDF's and comic books in landscape mode ( on the PRS505 that means you can only see half a page per page flip).

At portrait mode (full screen) you can see the images pretty ok, but reading the text is difficult, if not, impossible.

There are comic books optimized for small screens, but they require you to pageflip almost constantly. By the time you finished the pageflip, you have to press again, because it takes time to load the next page, and generally there's not much info on it.
Most comic books I find online, are optimized for a minimum resolution of 1024x768; 1280x800 is even better!

jetbook color is 800*600.
fsvum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
doesn't exist,

Kindle DXG can read .zip and .cbz files. All you have to is to rename a .cbz file to .zip and throw it in the documents folder. As most of you already know cbr cbz files are just rar or zip compressed picture files. Kindle can read .zip files natively so no extra step is needed for them. For .cbr or .rar files you can extract the pictures and throw them into documents in a folder or zip them.

I personally use a image processor program called "canti" as it dithers images better than kindle and resizes pictures for the kindle resolution (1280 825) to max what is viewed in full screen.

Last edited by reprep; 12-10-2011 at 12:48 PM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #26
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I would recommend you getting a Kindle DXG. I own one and have read manga on it. I found it really pleasant. The images look sharp and the text readable, zoom isn't needed. I can read for hours without tiring out my eyes. I use a program called "E-nki" to optimize the manga.

I know money is a problem. But you should look here in the Flea Market. Usually there are used Kindle DXG for lest than $200. And they are refurbished ones available for $245 at http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

Hurry up! I tell you: you are not going to get better reading experience. It's a total pleasure reading Manga on a 9.7 e-ink device. It's the heaven!.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #27
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvum View Post
jetbook color is 800*600.
Where did you read this?
I would suspect they would have upped the resolution from the standard 5/6/7" e-ink screens!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #28
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
What about Onyx M90,M91,M92 or Pocketbook PB 902,PB903,PB912?
All are 9.x", but I get what you mean...
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:

Totally agree. By the way, the 6" iRiver Story HD has a resolution of 1024x768. I might pick up one of those. Still waiting for a lightweight 7" Android tablet with 1280x800 resolution and long battery life.

Kindle DX resolution is 1200x824 which makes it quite ideal (if you can stand the large size).
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac

-deleted comment-