Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Kindle Fire: First Impressions.

Okay, so I am at work and can't truly put all of the Fire's elements through their paces, but I'm certainly impressed so far.

I read most of the editorial reviews that came out yesterday and, happily, am finding the user interface quite a bit snappier than I'd been led to expect from what the professional reviewers had to say. (Each item/area I've selected to open so far has opened pretty darn immediately.)

Now, I did already upgrade the software to 6.1, so maybe Amazon already made a bunch of improvements on that front.

The screen is, indeed gorgeous. A little glare under the flourescent lights here at work, but I haven't had a chance to install my screen protector yet.

Currently, I'm listening to the music player (through headphones) as I work and it sounds great to me.

I'm looking forward to installing the Netflix app and to trying some of the free Prime vids.

Also looking forward to hearing what others think so far.

Share, please!

xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You think there would be a need for a screen protector, it's supposed to be gorilla glass, and I've never found a GG screen that neded protection, the screen on my Zune HD that used GG looks great and I've never used a Protector.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
You think there would be a need for a screen protector, it's supposed to be gorilla glass, and I've never found a GG screen that neded protection, the screen on my Zune HD that used GG looks great and I've never used a Protector.
I'm using it more to cut down on glare and cleaning off fingerprints. I have a Zune HD too and use one on it for the same reason.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
I'm using it more to cut down on glare and cleaning off fingerprints. I have a Zune HD too and use one on it for the same reason.
Please share which one you purchased. I want an anti-glare one, but sometimes you sacrifice clarity. The screen no longer "pops" or the protector is sandy/grainy looking.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Please share which one you purchased. I want an anti-glare one, but sometimes you sacrifice clarity. The screen no longer "pops" or the protector is sandy/grainy looking.
I bought these:

Generiks TM Amazon Kindle Fire *2 CLEAR & 2 ANTI-GLARE* Screen Protectors (Combo Pack!!!)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005R5LUOS/

No reviews yet for use on the Fire of course, but I looked up the reviews for Generiks on other devices and they trended towards good to quite good.

I'll be putting one on tonight when I get home from work.
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Yeah, I think that 6.1 upgrade might be a difference maker. I'm not having any problems at all, which has me pleasantly surprised.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
Yeah, I think that 6.1 upgrade might be a difference maker. I'm not having any problems at all, which has me pleasantly surprised.
Yeah, it's starting to seem like the reviewers must've had 6.0 on the devices they were given.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
So your review is the first with 6.1 congrats and thanks.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
So your review is the first with 6.1 congrats and thanks.
No problem.

(If only I were on staff somewhere... )
Old 11-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I concur with the gorgeous screen. Wow! The only protector I would consider is the Ultra Crystal by Steinheil (when they are available) - have them on both my Xoom and Droid X and they do not affect the clarity of the display one bit - they are nearly invisible.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
mine is still in the box under my work bench....

everytime i start to open it something happens...maybe this evening when things get a bit quieter.

Last edited by krighton; 11-15-2011 at 03:44 PM.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I concur with the gorgeous screen. Wow! The only protector I would consider is the Ultra Crystal by Steinheil (when they are available) - have them on both my Xoom and Droid X and they do not affect the clarity of the display one bit - they are nearly invisible.
Hmmm. I'd never heard of those. I'll have to look into them, if the Generiks don't work out. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I totally agree. I use one on my Xoom and one on my Evo. They're an excellent product, the best screen protector I've ever used.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I totally agree. I use one on my Xoom and one on my Evo. They're an excellent product, the best screen protector I've ever used.
Got my attention.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
DuckFOO
Enthusiast
DuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: None
Okay, I'll be the one to say it: this thread is useless without pictures.
DuckFOO is offline   Reply With Quote