Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Kobo mobile apps and syncing with non Kepubs

I tried the Kobo reader for Blackberry a while back and was very disappointed to see that it wouldn't sync my reading position with my sideloaded epubs. I copied exactly the same files to both my Touch and my BB, and the BB reader doesn't even see the sideloads, let alone sync reading position.

This was a major fail to me.

Does anyone know if this limitation has been removed, or if there are plans to do so? Without such a feature being functional, I fail to even see the reason for the mobile apps to exist, since I bet there are *many* people who get their books from either public libraries or other sources beyond Kobo themselves...

Developers - feel free to chime in here with some encouraging news please.

Thanks
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
As far as I know, the Sony Reader Android app (tablet version) and the iBooks app are the only ones that sync sideloaded content. The other "store" apps only sync their stuff.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
I tried the Kobo reader for Blackberry a while back and was very disappointed to see that it wouldn't sync my reading position with my sideloaded epubs. I copied exactly the same files to both my Touch and my BB, and the BB reader doesn't even see the sideloads, let alone sync reading position.
I don't think Kobo ever said any of their reader applications would handle ePub's; they all support Kobo format material.

Also, I'm not sure if I have ever understood the need for syncing locations; personally I have never found it a problem to page through a book to find where I was.

It's the same in real books. Sure I can turn the corner of a page on a softback edition to mark where I am, but I don't expect my hardback edition to automatically bend over the corner of a page to reflect where I was on the softback edition.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Also, I'm not sure if I have ever understood the need for syncing locations; personally I have never found it a problem to page through a book to find where I was...
It can be time consuming if you have several books you're currently reading. Even more so if you've been away from a particular book for several days and try to recall where exactly you left off on another device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I couldn't even get syncing to work properly with kepubs.
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It has been working well with the Android App for a long time. I understand that there has been a problem with the iOS Apps for several months.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote