Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
What e-reader to buy secondhand?

Hi, all. I've spent ages looking through the "What to buy" section, and come to the conclusion that I initially need to buy a secondhand e-reader in order to work out what I like and what I don't. So, the question is - what is good value secondhand?

My basic needs are an e-reader purely to read books: I'm not interested in reading newspapers, looking at pictures, listening to music. I would like to be able to annotate easily, and use removable media (preferably SD cards, but I'm flexible on the format). Touch-screen and e-ink would be nice, as would the ability to try using other reader programs and/or rooting it.

Other possibly relevant information is that I'm in the UK.

I like the look of the IRex Iliad, but it hasn't been supported for quite a while, and I can't find much in the way of spare parts availability. Alternatively, the JetBooks look good, but they are so relatively cheap is it worth buying one secondhand?

So, over to you for your thoughts!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Jetbook is a very good device. Last time I checked, someone is selling one here in the Flea Market section of the forum. I have one just like it and its a great ereader. Takes just about any format, and has expandable memory.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
have a look on the waterstones website they have eink readers new for £70
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Thanks, folks. I'm still in two minds whether to go new or secondhand initially. The Jetbooks still look good to me.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
As one who has traveled internationally quite a bit, I just want to use this occasion to express my appreciation for American customer support. In the USA, we sometimes take it for granted that we can buy something and try it out, and if it doesn't work they way we thought it would, get our money back. In most countries, "The customer is always right" is just wrong--it's more like "All sales are final." I don't know what the customer service culture is like in the UK, but if you were in the States I'd say, "Buy what you think you'd like, and if it doesn't work out you can always return it."
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Thanks, cHex

In principle we do have that right here, but it is rarely used and some outlets are not happy to go along with it anyway. Certainly trying to get money back if you return goods because they don't suit can be a long, hard slog - vouchers or exchange would be easier to get, but if the merchant doesn't stock something else you want to try then neither of those are good options. Even then, if you exchange it for something else, and then went back a second time to say "Nope - can I try something else?" you would really be struggling, unless the merchant was exceptional.

It really does make things difficult when buying something like personal tech, which is often a significant outlay but which needs to suit the individual - mobile phones are another example - which is why I initially like to buy something that has good reviews second-hand, so I can get the "feel" of the thing without risking too much money.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Sony is selling the PRS-350 (refurbished) for $85 in their clearance store.

http://tx.sel-email.sel.sony.com/tra...:102253:READER
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
Sony is selling the PRS-350 (refurbished) for $85 in their clearance store.

http://tx.sel-email.sel.sony.com/tra...:102253:READER
That is a fantastic buy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHex View Post
As one who has traveled internationally quite a bit, I just want to use this occasion to express my appreciation for American customer support. In the USA, we sometimes take it for granted that we can buy something and try it out, and if it doesn't work they way we thought it would, get our money back. In most countries, "The customer is always right" is just wrong--it's more like "All sales are final." I don't know what the customer service culture is like in the UK, but if you were in the States I'd say, "Buy what you think you'd like, and if it doesn't work out you can always return it."
Friendly service with a smile [even if forced], and an attempt to actually accommodate me is always what I miss the most when I leave the US, especially when trying to find vegetarian food :-) ... It's always jarring to return after a few weeks away and see the difference.

(there may be other countries that are similar in this regard, but I've most definitely noticed a difference)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
See, now this is a reason to miss college. That's where you could easily ask people in your class what they have and arrange to see things in person and touch them.

But I am the person who has to touch everything. I knew inside of five minutes that me and the Nook (the first one) would absolutely never get along. I tried really hard though because my friend really loves hers, but I just couldn't manage it.

Is there an option to do that where you live? Ask friends and touch theirs? Which sounds really bad I admit, but I haven't slept in two days and am battling a migraine and didn't know how else to phrase it.

Good luck!
sigyn
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Talking Thanks, everyone!

Thanks, everyone

Polyphemus - unfortunately, I missed that deal. The price is now $153 ...

Twowheels - As yet, I haven't been to the USA, so I can't comment on the service over there. However, there is a huge amount of difference depending on where you go in Europe. Customer service in some places (I'm not going to say which) seems to work on the basis that the staff are doing the customer a favour by serving them! However, I try not to judge a place by regular tourist destinations (which is where a lot of people go when visiting a new country) - language barriers aside, customer service tends to be better once outside the hot-spots.

Sigyn - To the best of my knowledge, I will be the first person I know that has an e-reader! I'm a bit older than college age(), and this is why I've posted the question - I'm ground-breaking amongst my peers!

Hope the migraine is feeling better - awful things, they are (I know from personal experience ...)
Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Refurbed Nook Touches are selling for $79 right now. If you know someone in the US they might be able to get you one.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Apologies, all - been in hospital for a while, and now busily catching up. Just to round off this thread, I bought a second-hand JetBook from one of the posters on the forum. I've had it in my hands since last Saturday, and so far it seems fine, though all I've done to this point is charge it up and load some e-books onto it (several H.G.Wells, E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series, a recent sci-fi novel called "One Survivor", "Jane Eyre", and "Treasure Island", if anyone is interested). I'll start investigating it further this week.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
lisamaree82
lisamaree82 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHex View Post
In Australia we cannot do this. Shops will refund or provide credit for faulty items. They will not refund for change of mind, but will provide store credit provided the item is in resalable condition, ie tags still on and never used. The fact that you in the US can buy something, try it out and if you don't like it return it, is the stuff of late night infomercials here in Australia.
lisamaree82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #15
FGFuzax
FGFuzax began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad Book Edition
Following up on the off-topic - here in Germany everything bought online in an online shop can be sent back within 14 days without any clarification (so called Widerrufsrecht). C2C transactions are not affected by this (e.g. selling/bying used products on ebay).

Greets FG
FGFuzax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, newbie, secondhand