Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #136
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The Book Designer program is a pain when it comes to saving files. I occasionally lost whole novels at the beginning. This is how I do it now:

1. Put my book into BD.
2. Check that it's looking vaguely correct.
3. IMMEDIATELY click on "make book" and make a Book Designer book.
4. Carry on editing, periodically either clicking on "save" or making a book designer book (which comes to the same thing).

If, by any mischance, the computer crashes, the file is stored in
my computer/c drive/program files/Book Designer/BD.

In my opinion it is always a good idea to make a Book Designer book as well as any other version. Then it is easily retrievable if you ever want to make corrections, or have a need to make a book in another format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #137
craft2113
craft2113 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Hi,

I have followed all the instructions on how to install BD 4.0 and install the update 2007-07-30. I also installed it outside program files.And I have office 2000 on my XP.and I have the free edition of AVG as my anti-virus.

When I was trying to make sony reader file.It says "failed to make sony reader file".

Please help?
craft2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by craft2113 View Post
Hi,

I have followed all the instructions on how to install BD 4.0 and install the update 2007-07-30. I also installed it outside program files.And I have office 2000 on my XP.and I have the free edition of AVG as my anti-virus.

When I was trying to make sony reader file.It says "failed to make sony reader file".

Please help?
In your Book Cleaner directory, do you have a directory called temp?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #139
craft2113

Hi JSWolf,Thank you for the reply.

Here's the content of my book cleaner folder:
MiddleDashes_after.bcf
MiddleDashes_before.bcf
RemoveRepeatedEmptyLines.bcf

i also added 1.bcf and 2.bcf and opened it at BD book cleaner.but still doesn't work...

and my OS is XP sp3.

Last edited by craft2113; 11-17-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #140
craft2113

PLease help?
Advert
Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #141
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
PLease help?
When you start up BD, go to Tools/Book cleaner.
In the new Book cleaner window you have to do the following:
bellow input file: before formatting in a drop down menu choose 1.bcf
then bellow input file: after formatting in a drop down menu choose 2.bcf. Close the Book cleaner window and load your book. It should work.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #142
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Or just drag and drop the files into the book cleaner directory.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #143
craft2113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Or just drag and drop the files into the book cleaner directory.
Thank you for the reply!

I still couldn't make lrf. It says "failed to make sony reader file".
Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #144
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the reply!

I still couldn't make lrf. It says "failed to make sony reader file".
Dunno what to say.

How did you install the update? By unzipping archive into folder where BD has been installed?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #145
astra
The Introvert

Test it by creating a doc or txt file where you type Hello World.
Upload it to BD and try to create a Sony Reader file (go to Make eBooks/Sony Reader(lrf))
Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi JSWolf,Thank you for the reply.

Here's the content of my book cleaner folder:
MiddleDashes_after.bcf
MiddleDashes_before.bcf
RemoveRepeatedEmptyLines.bcf

i also added 1.bcf and 2.bcf and opened it at BD book cleaner.but still doesn't work...

and my OS is XP sp3.
Sorry for the mistake.. In your Book Designer directory do you have a directory called temp?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #147
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
The Book Designer program is a pain when it comes to saving files. I occasionally lost whole novels at the beginning. This is how I do it now:

1. Put my book into BD.
2. Check that it's looking vaguely correct.
3. IMMEDIATELY click on "make book" and make a Book Designer book.
4. Carry on editing, periodically either clicking on "save" or making a book designer book (which comes to the same thing).

If, by any mischance, the computer crashes, the file is stored in
my computer/c drive/program files/Book Designer/BD.

In my opinion it is always a good idea to make a Book Designer book as well as any other version. Then it is easily retrievable if you ever want to make corrections, or have a need to make a book in another format.
And I might add this advice:

Definitely, definitely, definitely, MOVE the "Open Empty File" icon (which will DELETE what you're working on!) AWAY from the "Save Current File" icon.)

I lost 2 files about 1 year ago, before I got smart....Argghghghggh

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:16 AM   #148
craft2113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry for the mistake.. In your Book Designer directory do you have a directory called temp?
Thank you!

I dont have temp folder.Do i have to create it?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #149
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Thank you!

I dont have temp folder.Do i have to create it?
Yes and No. It is what its name implies A temp folder that BD creates when you edit a book. It exists in C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0 directory as long as BD is in use and it disappears when you close down BD.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 AM   #150
craft2113

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Yes and No. It is what its name implies A temp folder that BD creates when you edit a book. It exists in C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0 directory as long as BD is in use and it disappears when you close down BD.
I created a temp folder in my book designer folder.But I still couldn't make a sony reader file."Failed to make sony reader file".and everytime i open my book designer.Its always like fresh installing everytime i open book designer.

help...

Tags
bookdesigner