Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
dream88
Banned
dream88 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cool All-round device,or specialized E-book?

Some people like the device contains all the functions they need,like ipod,make phone calls,messages,games,music and E-reader,but others just like the only function of a device,like a E-book.

So,which one do you like?

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 05-24-2010 at 08:36 AM.
dream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If I wanted an jack of all trades, I would have purchased a netbook. I must admit that my PDA and my smartphone can be used to read books and I frequently take advantage of that.

However I purchased a Sony ereader just to use to read. Wish I had done it earlier!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I guess ebook-dedicated machines have been around just long enough for some of us to be called 'old-fashioned' ebook lovers.

I like a single-function device, something that I can read novels on, plain and simple and without the distraction of bells and whistles.

Mind you, I can understand the appeal of the fancier machines for those who are often on the move and don't want to have to carry an extra piece of hardware around with them to keep in touch with the world and to browse and download new books.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I have to admit that I HATE HATE HATE do-it-all-in-one-shot machines. I have a PRS-505 for reading, a camera for pictures, a phone for phoning and an iPod Classic for music. I am fully aware that I could have all of those includind in one miracle iPod package, but I would rather have 5 devices that each do their own job perfectly for my needs than one single device that I'm not fully satisfied with.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I used to read on a Pocket PC, which I suppose you could call an all round device. I wouldn't really want to go back to that. My reader plays mp3s as well, but I've never used it for that. That's what my phone is for.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I prefer a multi-use device that lets me easily read online news and books. I want my news, particularly stock market info, updated as quickly as possible.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I don't mind if my reader has 1.5 functions or 150 functions, as long as it is a good reader. I'm still waiting for that though.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
dream88, if nobody has made it clear yet, an ebook reader is the thing you read with, and an ebook is the thing you are reading. Also, please put spaces between your words. Just look and see how everyone else does it. Seriously, the way you write is hard to read.

Another vote for the specialty side. I have a netbook, but I don't use it as an ebook reader; I have my 505 for that. And my Sansa MP3 player for my music, my camera for still photos, my video camera for videos (it's a Flip, so I can be filming with it before I could even get my regular camera), my DS for games, my cell phone to make phone calls with, and so on. My netbook could display ebooks, my still camera could take video (and admittedly sometimes does), my ebook reader could play music, my cell phone could play games, there's a Web browser available for my DS, and so on. Like several people above, though, why should I settle for any one of them doing a half-baked job of another one's function? My ebook reader is not as good an MP3 player as my MP3 player, for example.

Multifunction chargers for the win!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I think a device designed to do one job, and do it well, will almost always do that job better than a "jack of all trades" device.

That being said, we all want, and expect different things from our tools.
So there is room enough for both. Personally I don't need or want to make phone calls from my e-reader. Nor do I need wireless networking, so for me the Jetbook is a good fit.

Your wants and needs may differ significantly from mine.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I use both. When I'm home (or out someplace where I know I'll have a lot of time to read) I use a dedicated reader. When I'm running errands and might have just a few minutes to read while waiting somewhere I use my iPod Touch. For most circumstances I prefer the single-use devices (ebook reader, mp3 player, camera, etc.) but there are times when it's nice to have them all available without carting around several pounds of electronic equipment. For those times I have the option of carrying just my phone and my Touch. The functionality may not be as extensive and the quality not quite as good, but sometimes I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of quality for a little extra convenience.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Single function.

I also prefer cell phones with physical buttons that just make phone calls.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I want an all around device for sure. But I'm also not an avid reader.

I like my Kindle 1, but it was an impulse purchase. And I doubt I'll keep it around when I finally buy a tablet device.

I'd get a lot more use out of a device that I can read a few novels a year on (1-2 a month) but also has a big, fast screen for my work-related reading (reading and marking up A4 pdfs of research articles, Word documents etc). And I can also check e-mail and surf the net, watch streaming video in bed etc. etc.

Just a matter of what an individual needs/wants in a portable tablet/slate/reader device based on their daily habits etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I would certainly prefer a versatile media consumption device. I am waiting for a netbook in a tablet/slate format. I do have a Cybook Gen3 and read on it often, but I would prefer something much more versatile.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Which do you prefer: A spork? Or separate knife, fork and spoon?

I for one am not blown away by the iPad for reading. The larger screen size is a benefit, but compared to most eInk devices it's heavy, battery life is shorter, text doesn't look particularly crisp, and the ability to play Plants vs Zombies is at any moment is highly distracting. Smartphones are just too small.

IMO the Kindle and its ilk, while not perfect, is still superior and my go-to device if all I want to do is read.

P.S. I love my spork. But only when I'm camping.

Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have both. I can read on my Sony, or on my Droid. If I'm out and need to kill some time, I'll read on the Droid. If I know I'm going to be reading, I use the Sony.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote