Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: What is the best screen size for an eReader?
5'' 24 15.79%
6'' 39 25.66%
7'' 28 18.42%
9''-10'' 42 27.63%
11'' and larger 19 12.50%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"
osama_jamal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
What is the ideal screen size for an eReader?

I personally think a 10' device is perfect. It is generally managable and allows the display of PDFs (at least in the landscape mode) in a easy and accessible way.
osama_jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
You like a 10', for me my 5' screen is the perfect size. Others will like their various sizes.... it depends on what you read.

As with most things in life, there is no "best" , only whats best for you.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I'm torn between a 5" and 6" because a 5 for me is perfect for epub files but a 6 is better for simple PDF files. I wouldn't find a bigger device comfortable to hold as my Sony Reader is a little on the heavy side at times.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What is the best screen size for an eReader that you use... where?

* 5'' and below is very portable
* 6-8'' is large enough for a resonable amount of text on the screen while still not being cumbersome tos it with
* 9-11'' is better for the kind of PDFs we can currently get, and I would prefer a large screen for most non-fiction in general
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Not all books are the same size. Therefore it only makes sense that not all reading devices should be either.

Personally I like my 6" Sony Reader for fiction, but would prefer a larger one for PDFs - but I wouldn't want to give up the Sony.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
All of the above...

It depends on my situation and content to read what screensize would be appropriate.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I'm torn between a 5" and 6" because a 5 for me is perfect for epub files but a 6 is better for simple PDF files. I wouldn't find a bigger device comfortable to hold as my Sony Reader is a little on the heavy side at times.
I agree, Sony reader is so easy to use when reading!
But it kills me with PDFs!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What is the best screen size for an eReader that you use... where?

* 5'' and below is very portable
* 6-8'' is large enough for a resonable amount of text on the screen while still not being cumbersome tos it with
* 9-11'' is better for the kind of PDFs we can currently get, and I would prefer a large screen for most non-fiction in general
So if one wants to be a happy eBook owner, one needs multiple devices!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
No, but it might make you happier More Shiny!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I'm a happy ebook owner of two devices! But I'd be more happy with more devices (no matter the size!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"

Quote:
No, but it might make you happier More Shiny!
I wonder if they could build a 12'' screen that could be folded into two 6'' devices. So it would act as a book, two sides, and one can use both to view all large pdfs with no problems.
Of course it needs to be touch and stylus enabled!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
I wonder if they could build a 12'' screen that could be folded into two 6'' devices. So it would act as a book, two sides, and one can use both to view all large pdfs with no problems.
Of course it needs to be touch and stylus enabled!
Plus full colour screen and at least one months' worth of battery charge.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
osama_jamal
"eBook Addict!"

Quote:
Plus full colour screen and at least one months' worth of battery charge.
Even better, but please now browser cause ill just stay online. Only books and notepad...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is clearly no such thing as THE ideal size. It depends where you are reading, and what you are reading.

Reading technical PDFs or magazines requires a large screen. Novels can confortably be read on a small screen. Small devices are great for portability; large-screen devices allow you to see more at a time.

It is, therefore, a meaningless question to ask what THE ideal size is. That implies that there is one size which is ideal for everything. That is clearly not the case. That's why one requires multiple reading devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #15
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is clearly no such thing as THE ideal size. It depends where you are reading, and what you are reading.

Reading technical PDFs or magazines requires a large screen. Novels can confortably be read on a small screen. Small devices are great for portability; large-screen devices allow you to see more at a time.

It is, therefore, a meaningless question to ask what THE ideal size is. That implies that there is one size which is ideal for everything. That is clearly not the case. That's why one requires multiple reading devices.

agreed HarryT. I for one like the 6 inch screen but would LOVE a 4 inch eink screen....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote