Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Walt Mossberg reviews the Sony Daily Edition

His review is worth reading. I don't agree with all his points, but the issues he raises are valid ones.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100113...y/?mod=ATD_rss
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
It took Walt days to discover how to bookmark a page?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It took Walt days to discover how to bookmark a page?
I didn't know you had to double tap it. I thought it would be a single tap.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
But hopefully it wouldn't take you days to figure it out.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
But hopefully it wouldn't take you days to figure it out.
I assumed the ability wasn't there, so I might never have found it. But before I reported it as not being there I would have checked the manual.

This is a valid usability complaint. I'm tired, so I'm having trouble explaining it.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Assuming it's the same as the PRS-600, there's also a menu item for it. Press the "Options" button, switch on the "Notes" toolbar, and there's a bookmark button on the toolbar.

The single tap is used for the much more common operation of turning the page.

Really, though, people should read the user guide to find out the capabilities of a device. I'm sure that you would do so.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-14-2010 at 03:36 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
How is the contrast on the Daily Edition? I prefer Sony's hardware and software UI over the competition's, but I can't settle for a step down in readability from my 505.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
He forgot to mention one of the biggest selling points of the Sony content wise: you can buy DRM content at other places beside the Sony Reader store. Also that if your local library have ebooks, then the Sony will read DRM ePub and PDF.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Assuming it's the same as the PRS-600, there's also a menu item for it. Press the "Options" button, switch on the "Notes" toolbar, and there's a bookmark button on the toolbar.

The single tap is used for the much more common operation of turning the page.

Really, though, people should read the user guide to find out the capabilities of a device. I'm sure that you would do so.
I knew that menu option was there, yes. But I seriously doubt that anyone will read the manual; it's 200 pages long.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I knew that menu option was there, yes. But I seriously doubt that anyone will read the manual; it's 200 pages long.
Wow!

What does it all do? The laundry and garbage too?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Much of the manual (assuming it's similar to the 600's manual) explains about the annotation capabilities. There are so many different things you can do with it, that it takes a lot of explaining.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Teddman - If you want touch you have to give up some clarity/contrast. IMO, it's not bad but certainly not as good as a reader without touch e.g. your 505 or a Kindle or the small Sony.

Lilly - Good point on the alternate book stores. BTW, he did mention using library books.

Yes people should read the manual but really how many people do? I know I just try to use a new device first and then only later might go through the manaul. I assume that's pretty typical. Of course if I were a reviewer I would think it part of the job to go through the manual.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote