Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #31
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Thank you, Thank you for posting details of the Doomsday Book!!! I read it years ago and wanted to go back for a second look but couldn't for the life of me remember the title or the author!
Does anyone know where it's available as an ebook though? I've tried the most obvious sites but can't find any of Willis's books in any digital format....

I don't think they've been published as ebooks yet, darn it.

I haven't read it long enough ago to be ready to read it again - it was gut-wrenching at the end.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #32
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Found a few of her books on the darknet

Last edited by Gibbo; 12-24-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #33
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I realize this thread is derailing quickly, but it's all in good fun so...

I've just finished the first book of Carol Berg's Rai-kirah series and it was very enjoyable. I'll be starting the 2nd one today

Thanks again for the suggestion!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #34
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Found are a few of her books on the darknet

Hmm, not sure I should go there, but it's tempting!
[Translation: wouldn't have a clue how to anyway!!]

dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #35
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished Transformation (book 1) and am a ways into Revelation (book 2) of the Rai-kirah books. This isn't the best writing (technique, etc.), but I'm having fun

After these my fantasy hunger my be sated for a while and I'll flip back over to science fiction.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #36
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Finished Transformation (book 1) and am a ways into Revelation (book 2) of the Rai-kirah books. This isn't the best writing (technique, etc.), but I'm having fun

After these my fantasy hunger my be sated for a while and I'll flip back over to science fiction.
You know what I just realized? I had two of her series lumped together. I remember I enjoyed the Bridge D'Arnath series better.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
Shadowplay
Groupie

Been a busy few weeks for me here so reading time has shrunk, however I did finish the last of the Rai-kirah trilogy. It was a good read, but hasn't really stuck with me the way a great book or series can. Things also went a bit off into crazy land in that last book so it was hard to stay attached to anyone! Enjoyable overall so thanks for the recommendation.

Now... on to the next! I'll go back through this thread and see what strikes my fancy this time.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #38
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post
I think you'd love something like Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.
I'm not sure what you'll think of this, but you've inadvertently set me off down a new literary path. Now that I need another book or series to read I came back to this thread to see what sounded good for my next read. I checked into several things listed here and they all sound interesting, but weren't really "calling" to me. I worked my way through the posts to yours and dutifully clicked through to Amazon. Tigana sounded interesting, but after reading several reviews I don't think it's something I want to read right now. It did however lead me to Kay's Fionavar Tapestry series which sounds very intriguing! So now I'm committed (or maybe I should *be* committed hehe.) I'll post back in this little thread with my thoughts once I get into the first book:
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Tree-Fi...pr_product_top
Old 01-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #39
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
For something different, perhaps any of the works of Kurt Vonnegut? His writing is a bit out there at times and not strictly science fiction but he is one of the most brilliant authors I have ever read.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #40
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
I'm not sure what you'll think of this, but you've inadvertently set me off down a new literary path. Now that I need another book or series to read I came back to this thread to see what sounded good for my next read. I checked into several things listed here and they all sound interesting, but weren't really "calling" to me. I worked my way through the posts to yours and dutifully clicked through to Amazon. Tigana sounded interesting, but after reading several reviews I don't think it's something I want to read right now. It did however lead me to Kay's Fionavar Tapestry series which sounds very intriguing! So now I'm committed (or maybe I should *be* committed hehe.) I'll post back in this little thread with my thoughts once I get into the first book:
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Tree-Fi...pr_product_top
Well, I wish you the best of luck with it, but a lot of Guy Gavriel Kay fans really don't like the Fionavar Tapestry, so, what I'd say to you is that if you don't like it either, don't let it put you off trying Tigana or The Lions of Al-Rassan some day.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #41
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post
Well, I wish you the best of luck with it, but a lot of Guy Gavriel Kay fans really don't like the Fionavar Tapestry, so, what I'd say to you is that if you don't like it either, don't let it put you off trying Tigana or The Lions of Al-Rassan some day.
Interesting! I didn't know that, but even so I'm enjoying the first book of the Fionavar Tapestry so far. The writing style is... unique. That took a bit for me to adjust to. I suspect I'll read all 3 in this series and then maybe look at one of his other books - both Tigana and the Lions of Al-Rassan have been highly praised in other places.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #42
HeresKayter
HeresKayter began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
Smile

As a junior member who is very new and has yet to receive my Kindle from Amazon: I happened upon this thread and many of the books mentioned were waaay over my head. Although, I do have a suggestion for you for perhaps a future read! Maybe give "The Eye of the Dragon" by Stephen King a whirl. It is definately not his usual genre and it is one of his earlier works. I could not put it down; totally engrossing!!

Just a thought.....

(By the way, read the Twilight series and yes, I loved it, too!! Not my usualy style as teeny bopper is not usually me...but I was engrossed and enthralled and sad to reach the end of Breaking Dawn...)
HeresKayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #43
Shadowplay
Groupie

UPDATE

I just finished _The Summer Tree_ (book 1 of the Fionavar Tapestry series by Guy Gavriel Kay.)

His writing style took a bit to get into and sometimes it feels like there are huge, gaping holes in character backgrounds and descriptions, but once I just accepted that I realized it all comes together over time. The "holes" are intentional and are filled in piecemeal as needed throughout the story. It ends up working rather well. It's just different from standard fantasy fare - and that's a good thing!

I'll definitely be reading the rest of this series and then maybe take a look at some of his other suggested works like _Tigana_ and maybe _The Lions of Al-Rassan_ though the former's plot summary interests me more than the latter.

Regarding the Twilight books... there may come a time when I give them a go, but this is not that time. I'm fairly over vampires in whatever telling and really struggle with much of anything focused on or targeted to the high school crowd. That's not to say such fare is less than anything else at all. It just doesn't interest me right now at this stage in life. ...maybe that's because I'm what feels a long, long way from that era of my own life. hehehe
Old 02-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #44
kwnewton
kwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Hey there, gang! I haven't posted around here in what feels like ages, but yes I'm still around and yes I'm still enjoying the bejeebers outta my Sony 505. I've read several books recently that, while fun, weren't engaging enough for me. That got me thinking about what to read next and so I've spent some time going through some of the big recommendation threads here. Tons of great ideas, but it's almost overwhelming and leaves me unsure where to explore.

So... to the point: I need some more specific recommendations.

I think really what I need is some deeply engaging material, something that I can get involved with and grabs me emotionally. I realize that's terribly subjective though. I'm open to SciFi or Fantasy and would prefer to avoid the typical, cliche or over worked (Eddings, Brooks and Jordan are fun fantasy, but... well it's all been discussed enough times already. )

Some examples of what I've really enjoyed in recent times:
The Farseer books by Robin Hobb (first & third trilogies set in that world) really worked for me. Very emotional stuff and as people have said many times she writes some wonderful characters.

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge - I really enjoyed this one as it was great science fiction along with really enjoyable characters.

By that same token, I had a great time with the Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap books. Granted that last one went a little sideways on me, but I still enjoyed them as a series.

For an idea of what was fun, but *not* the feel I'm looking for right now:
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - fun, but mostly fluff.
Temeraire books by Naomi Novik - fun, interesting... really enjoy the character of Temeraire, but it's all a bit stilted for me right now.
A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge - while I loved the book that came before this I just couldn't get into this one. It's *interesting*, but not very *engaging* for me, for lack of a better description.

And lastly I'm just about done with the first book of Zelazny's Amber series. I'm sure I'll be burned at the stake for this, but so far it's not really doing it for me. Yes it's interesting and I really like the concepts presented, but it's never grabbed me and compelled me to finish it.

There are plenty of others I've read, like most of you here, but I know there are *far* more that I haven't read. I'm hoping someone can really spark my interest with a special recommendation for me!

Help me, MobileRead, you're my only hope...
Have you tried Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS?
kwnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #45
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnewton View Post
Have you tried Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS?
Oddly enough I've never read any of Gaiman's novels, though I enjoyed all the Sandman works, the Stardust graphic novel and a few other things he's been involved with. I keep meaning to try one of his actual books someday

Update on my reading progress with this thread:
I'm almost done with book2 of the Fionavar Tapestry and it's very enjoyable for me. I'll be starting the 3rd in a day or so depending on what reading time I can find.