Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2011 MobileRead Book Club Vote (Classics)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 4 5.06%
The Iliad by Homer 7 8.86%
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 13 16.46%
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 9 11.39%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 2 2.53%
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 2 2.53%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 12 15.19%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 10 12.66%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 11 13.92%
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #61
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With a hidden vote, you are not supposed to say why you didn't vote for what. Nor are you to say what you did vote for. That breaks the reason for having a hidden vote.
Well ...
It is the trend, the result that it is building that matters: I any case, I obliged.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Well ...
It is the trend, the result that it is building that matters: I any case, I obliged.
I appreciated your comments, and it made me consider adding some of the entries to my TBR list.

Quote:
With a hidden vote, you are not supposed to say why you didn't vote for what. Nor are you to say what you did vote for. That breaks the reason for having a hidden vote.
Please realize that is just JSWolf's opinion. I don't believe there is any rule against discussing how we vote, promoting a particular book, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #63
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I appreciated your comments, and it made me consider adding some of the entries to my TBR list.

Please realize that is just JSWolf's opinion. I don't believe there is any rule against discussing how we vote, promoting a particular book, ...
Thank you. I am very well aware of what you just wrote.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #64
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
beppe, there are no rules about what is to be discussed during a hidden poll. I read your post before you changed it and it was a good post.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #65
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I wish I hadn't missed beppe's post. I hope he will reconsider and repost.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #66
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Well my face is scarlet that I voted before I had a chance to view Sun surfer's and Beppe's posts on their selection.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #67
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A lighthouse illuminates the darkness, but can you read a letter by it?

I confess, I need more direction.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Here's my take on it: A hidden vote in the Book Club polls is like the secret ballot in a political election. The choice you make is no one's business but yours, but if you want to say what you voted for, and actively campaign for the outcome you feel would be best, that's your right also. And folks who fear that those who campaign the hardest could sway the election just have to keep in mind that those who are the most vocal don't always have the votes to put their candidate into office.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #69
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Well said, Tom!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #70
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Actually there were a few on the list that interested me. I picked a short one though as I've got quite a few things I'm trying to read before Christmas.

Has anyone else read Heart of Darkness before? Last time I tried, I wanted to run screaming from the room after a few pages, but maybe I was just being silly.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #71
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wish I hadn't missed beppe's post. I hope he will reconsider and repost.
Sorry. I did not keep record, in any case, Jon made me an offer I could not refuse

I can divulge why I did not vote for Nobokov, in spite of him being one of the most elegant, intelligent and talented. Somehow what Stravinski is for music. The chamber one, I mean.

As many here, I am coming of age. As some, my main interest is that one. Well, I am afraid that rereading Lolita would put me on thin ice, and take away some vital enthusiasm.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #72
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Oh please, give it a rest!! You've got what you wanted, hidden poll. If some us wants to share how we voted that has to be up to us, just as it is in political elections.

Half the fun for me is hearing people's reason for choosing one book before another and I have made several additions to my TBR based on that.

This is getting (even more) ridiculous if we also need to have a poll on whether or not we are allowed to discuss our choices!

(And how many months' book discussions are going to be oveshadowed by this (in my opinion silly) non-book.discussion?)

Last edited by Asawi; 11-24-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #73
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Here's my take on it: A hidden vote in the Book Club polls is like the secret ballot in a political election. The choice you make is no one's business but yours, but if you want to say what you voted for, and actively campaign for the outcome you feel would be best, that's your right also. And folks who fear that those who campaign the hardest could sway the election just have to keep in mind that those who are the most vocal don't always have the votes to put their candidate into office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Oh please, give it a rest!! You've got what you wanted, hidden poll. If some us wants to share how we voted that has to be up to us, just as it is in political elections.

Half the fun for me is hearing people's reason for choosing one book before another and I have made several additions to my TBR based on that.

This is getting (even more) ridiculous if we also need to have a poll on whether or not we are allowed to discuss our choices!
(And how many months' book discussions are going to be oveshadowed by this (in my opinion silly) non-book.discussion?)
I honestly think we can put this particular discussion to rest.

Tom, who is now running the club, has stated that discussion is up to the individual participant. See his post, quoted above.
Many people expressed their displeasure at not being allowed to discuss their choices. So I think it's safe to say that discussions are a wanted and accepted part of the voting process.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #74
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I would be delighted if The Iliad won, although I'll be voting for something I think has more of a shot. If there's interest, perhaps we could have a group discussion sometime after the holidays? That's assuming I'm not proved wrong, of course, and that enough people don't think there's nothing like Homer for the holidays.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #75
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I would be delighted if The Iliad won, although I'll be voting for something I think has more of a shot. If there's interest, perhaps we could have a group discussion sometime after the holidays?
I've long wanted to read The Iliad but have found it intimidating. I'd happily participate in a group effort. (Like you, I voted for a different book in the current poll. The Iliad seemed a bit too much for December.)
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, december 2011, mobileread book club, poll, vote