Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
jessc
Enthusiast
jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jessc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle Paperwhite
Sharper Image Literati for $40 or even $12+tax

Bed, Bath, and Beyond just reduced this to $39.99: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=17494791

Through today, there is a $20 mail-in rebate: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/AllRebatesForm.pdf

And if you go into the store and use a 20% off coupon (as I did), the total cost ends up being $12 + tax. If you don't already have a coupon lying around, you can sign up for their mailing list and they'll email you a coupon: http://app.bedbathandbeyond.com/prefs/pref.cfm

I know this thing hasn't gotten the greatest reviews, but I figured $15 for a spare ereader...well, how could I not?!
jessc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
I want to thank you for posting this.

Not that I'm going to buy it though it is excruciatingly tempting. It's that I already own one. You're right, always nifty to have an extra ereader. Do you own one already? I'm having trouble getting past the six-hour battery life.
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
ROFL ok ..

I MIGHT get one of these for my wife ... she reads some but not a lot.

BUT, I cant find much info on this at all.

What formats does it read / store books as?
Can you add books to it manually? ( from my pc to it etc )

just a couple that popped into my mind right off the bat.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
aw man, store closes in 3 minutes. I'd do it if I didn't miss that rebate.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
ROFL ok ..

I MIGHT get one of these for my wife ... she reads some but not a lot.

BUT, I cant find much info on this at all.

What formats does it read / store books as?
Can you add books to it manually? ( from my pc to it etc )

just a couple that popped into my mind right off the bat.
Would love to have one laying around for my husband to use.

Per the mobileread wiki, it's connected with the Kobo store. I know nothing about the Kobo store...
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Per the user guide, file formats are: ePub, PDF and ADE.

Per a user review, the Literati came loaded with firmware v 1.6, and you need 1.9 to be able to load books via USB. Literati support told him he had to update the firmware using Wifi, so could be an issue if you don't have Wifi.

Last edited by queentess; 02-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessc View Post
the total cost ends up being $12 + tax.

Not worth it.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
I've got a Literati as well as my Kobo... the Literati is kind of... meh.
Battery life is really short (and it doesn't seem to default to "wireless off", so you need to watch that or it'll be all the shorter), and the backlight is kind of hard on the eyes after any length of time.
I do, however, use the night mode at bedtime- the bf likes to go right to sleep, i like to read a while. This makes the Literati my bedside book, as I can read for a bit and then not disturb him.
For under $40, you just can't go wrong... but not my first choice for an ereader any day,
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
cjrenick
cjrenick has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Literati
I thought the Literati was a great little ereader. The only reason I got rid of it was because of the deal I got on my Pandigital. The Literati had more of a crisp and clear text than the Pandigital. But, I can do so much more with the PDN. For $20 you can not go wrong with this ereader. Even for $40 it is worth it.
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
problem using as a comic book reader

I went and grabbed one because this price is irresistible. I thought I could load comics onto it, but I'm having trouble--it zooms images to fit the height of the screen, and then because of the weird aspect ratio, it chops off the right and left margins. I've been looking for a setting in Calibre to adjust this, but nothing I've tried has worked ("disable trimming" gives me a good epub, but it's the Literati itself that's doing the trimming).

Does anybody have any experience/advice? Maybe something in the "Extra CSS" setting in Calibre? I really don't want to have to unpack all the .cbr's, artificially add a top or bottom margin to effectively "zoom out," re-pack and then convert. What a nightmare.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 AM   #11
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
I was kicking myself for having the self-control not to buy two, at this price. I mean, my Literati is sort of sucky but neato at the same time.

Alas, this evening it would not wake up from its deep slumber, even though it had been charging for 8 hours. So ... I guess I'm glad I didn't buy them!
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote