Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
What if MIDS/Tablet PCs could have WM6.5 installed?

Everyone I just had a wonderful thought. I know I've seen some MIDS with the 3G and GSM connections. Some that will allow the SIM slot and others the CDMA. But lets think for a second. What if it was possible to install say Windows Mobile 6.5(Also with talk of WM7 coming out this year or next year) on a MID with a 7" screen. WM6.5 supports 480x800+ Screen resolution. If possible, with the sim installed, you would be able to use your MID with your cell phone service(i.e. calling out, receiving calls, text messages, etc)! (Depending upon the freq. of the 3G and some GSM connections). Just the other day I saw a MID with both the 3G and GSM connection.

Problems:
1. For the USA and those who would use say T-mobile or ATT, T-mobile's 3G connection is 1700/2100(up/down) while ATT 3G network is on 850/1900(keep in mind both are GSM and not CDMA like Verizion and Sprint). The 3G device on the MID must be able use both connection in order to work.
2. Most other countries only use 2100 freq. for their 3G network. Meaning the MID would have to be purposly setup for the US 3G connection or have both. Now for the GSM part, Att and T-mobile use 850/900/1800/1900 freq. for the gsm/2G (also called Edge).

With all that said, do you think it would work? (As long as WM6.5 could be installed) Or even better, possibly dual booted? Or one more better option, software written similar to Virtual Machine that could be installed and then WM6.5 installed on that? For those of you who do not know what Virtual Machine is, it is exactly how it is implied. It's a software that creates an enviroment as if it was actually a second PC. This saves you from having to dual boot your PC. With VM you could run two OSs at the same time.(Also if WM6.5 was installed on such software, you could change the resolution if wanted to fit a smaller resolution and not have to change the resolution on main device.)

Benefits: 1. No need to carry around multiple devices. Most of the MID/PC tablets are coming with BT anyway so you could just get an ear piece.
2. One monthly price with your cell phone company! Not having to pay for two services.
3. For those of you who travel overseas, you still would be able to connect via WiFi and use Skype on your device. (or depending on your cell phone plan you may not even need to).
4. A device with a 7" screen both phone and Ebook reader
5. Simply it just seems like a cool idea!!! .

Please everyone get in on this. Everyone is invite . I'm very interested on hearing everyone's ideas, comments, and opinions.

Dvalin21
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
The Cmotech Mangrove 7" has WM on it. I don't think it has phone capabilities though. Since it is WM, there is quite a bit more software for it than the standard WinCE applications you would get on lesser MID devices.

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2009/0...on-tablet.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21YXxGSAjKs
http://www.pocketables.net/2009/11/c...ragon-cpu.html
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert