Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #61
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I finished reading it over the weekend. Wow! I have never been shy about saying that I'm a Steve Jordan fan, but this was just a quantum leap (forgive the inevitable pun) from your other stuff! You have hit a stride with this book that I hope we see in your work for a good long time!

At first I was a little leary of trying to follow the multi-character approach, but I was able to visulaize each and every one clearly as soon as they were identified in their sub-plots.

And the science was believeable and understandable. The info-dumps which are the bane of existance for all hard SF writers were handled as well as I have ever seen. The long narratives were contextual and informative without being didactic.

Fortunately, being a humor writer, I don't have to come up with an explanation of techno-gizmos other than, "They're bugger all to get started on a cold morning..." And the open plot devices were not disappointing, but fit in nicely and show that there is a longer story arc that will be continued.

So, thank you thank you, thank you, Steve, and what are you doing reading this, get back to work on the sequel already!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #62
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This unworthy one prostrates himself before you, O appreciative (not to mention perceptive) readers! May Allah grant you all healthy, intelligent children and/or significant others that adore and respect you and keep you well in your old age!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #63
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Well, have you written the sequel yet?
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #64
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...and may Allah grant you patience...
Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #65
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Steve, I bought Verdant Skies today along with The Lens. That means I now own every one of the books you've got on your site, except for Chasing the Light. Unfortunately, I've not read as many as I have purchased, so I need to get busy here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #66
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Ah, The Lens was a very good read! I'm anxiously awaiting the 3rd book in the Kestral series.

I bought Steve's hard sci-fi bundle (he calls it 'hard bun' hmmm) and I'm listening to As the Mirror Cracks right now.

I've read and enjoyed Onus - that's calling out for a sequel, too.

Back to work, Steve

Last edited by cbell; 09-07-2009 at 09:54 PM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #67
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Steve, I just had a totally free, do nothing, no neighbors around, lazy day and was able to finish Verdant Skies. I absolutely loved it! Since I live in the USA and have been to Yellowstone it was especially interesting for me.

I now understand what your Speculative tag means on your website..
"Extrapolations based on real and theoretical science."

pshrynk expressed most of my thoughts about your book so I will shamelessly quote a little of what I especially agree with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
At first I was a little leary of trying to follow the multi-character approach, but I was able to visulaize each and every one clearly as soon as they were identified in their sub-plots.
The many characters caused me to pay a little more attention to my reading than I normally do with recreational reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
And the science was believeable and understandable.
I felt that the story and time was totally believable and I could envision the situations happening as they did. (Gotta love politicians and big money players.. they never change.)

I have Berserker and Lens and I'm making plans for my next lazy day...

**OK, enough time reading our stuff... write!!***
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 AM   #68
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
...and may Allah grant you patience...
Yeah I agree but have you written the sequel yet.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #69
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Okay, I'll get right to work on that.

Let's see: "It was a dark and stormy nebula."

Mmmm... may need work. Give me a few million minutes...

(Wonder if'n I kin tide them over with another DOS episode?...)
Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #70
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
Great Book! I can't wait to find out what the future holds for Verdant.
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

5-Star review of Verdant Skies

Our own GraceKrispy has delivered a 5-star review of Verdant Skies, which can be read in its entirety on Amazon.com and Goodreads, as well as other booksellers.

Quote:
Steven Lyle Jordan has written a page-turning adventure that, unfortunately, doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. His characters are pretty well-defined, and the science is thought-provoking... It was a difficult book to put down. As I read, I found myself thinking about how easily this truly could be our reality in 2229, or even sooner. I think that connection to what is going on in our world right now is what makes this book so fascinating. It's the kind of science fiction that could truly become our reality down the road.

I think the riveting storyline and the fascinating physics push this story into a 5 star read. Strongly recommended.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #72
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The link in the parent message is no longer valid!?!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #73
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

If you mean the link in the OP, it is now fixed.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #74
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Steven, Thanks!

Yes, it works now but it appears the book is no longer free.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #75
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Steven, Thanks!

Yes, it works now but it appears the book is no longer free.
I don't believe it was ever "free"... it was considered a deal, and DRM-free.