Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #46
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I bought the .lit file ( did I just admit to that in public?) and the apostrophe in the Chapter 2 title is fine ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #47
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Steve, I bought the ePub from your site.

In the TOC the chapter title is displayed correctly, but when you open chapter 2 it does contain the "?" instead of the apostrophe.
Can I ask if I may what ePub reader you are using? Or at least, is it other than the ECO reader? I'm reasonably sure that it's not the ECO reader causing the problem, but I'd like to be certain.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #48
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Alex. In order:

I have seen that before: It is a reaction to MS Word apostrophes, which are not recognized as standard apostrophes by many non-word apps (same thing with MS quotes). I thought I'd caught those, so I have to look into what reverted them.
No, I'm pretty sure it's just that one. I'm almost certain there are other apostrophes which display properly. I just didn't record them, nor where Julian's conversation is in italics.

Regards, Alex
Old 09-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #49
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Can I ask if I may what ePub reader you are using? Or at least, is it other than the ECO reader? I'm reasonably sure that it's not the ECO reader causing the problem, but I'd like to be certain.

Regards, Alex
I am using the Sony 505.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #50
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Chapter 2 started out okay on the Kindle...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:42 AM   #51
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Chapter 2 started out okay on the Kindle...
Thanks, Dreams. It's nice to know that that the problem is not due to the ECO reader.

And thanks, Pshrynk. I presume you are reading a mobipocket version. I've no idea why this particular problem would occur in an ePub and not in a mobipocket version - presuming of course they had the same source document. Perhaps the mobipocket rendition of HTML is more tolerant as well as being limited and idiosyncratic.

Regards, Alex
Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #52
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It is odd that ePub can handle Word smartquotes in chapter bodies but not elsewhere. As I said I thought I'd caught them, but clearly I didn't. It will be fixed.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #53
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
BTW, I'm up to chapter four and it looks like it might be getting more tense soon. So many characters takes a lot of build up to get to the action. Especially when they are fleshed out as well as you're doing here.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #54
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Finally bought mine on Smashwords !
Mobi format, without the cover I put nonetheless with Mobi2mobi !
Strange, the "President's" title chapter is well wrote, but the link to it in the table of contents doesn't work (maybe because of the apostrophe...)
Now it's on my To-Read list !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #55
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WWWOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDD!!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #56
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Hi Steve - It's all up to the encodings the reader and font allows. On my BeBook, all the apostrophes and curly quotes showed up as &xxxxx; thingies - boy did that make the dialog ugly! Those are valid html 4 or 5 strings, which should have been OK, but not necessary in iso-8559-1. So I ran it through Sigil, and it turned it into UTF-8, but the BeBook didn't have a Unicode font, so it just used its 8-bit encoded font. So the 16-bit byte pairs got really ugly with spaces included (another little BeBook Bug). I'm still planning some more research into BeBook limitations... I'll let you know what I find.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Good God!

That settles it, I have to replace all of those smart quotes in ePub conversions for sure! And was it ePub that you used on your BeBook, or some other format?

I've been pretty busy with my (ahem) day job recently, but I can see it's already time for e Revision 1 of Verdant Skies. I have to get cracking on that, as soon as I get back from my much-needed 3-day vaca.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 09-05-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #58
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Yes, I downloaded the epub file. As I said, I ran it through Sigil, because it "cleans up" a file - presumably by re-encoding it in UTF-8 - but that didn't work. I also loaded it into my Calibre library, and then exported it, but no change until I exported it as a mobi file. That removed all the &xxx; stuff - looks perfect now. Now I will get back to reading it! I hated to put it down, but those &xxx; things just spoiled the flow. --- Oh, it wasn't just the smart quotes, apostrophes showed up - ’ — … “ ” -- those are from the first chapter. These are valid HTML 4 names, but apparently you do have to call out the correct DTD in your HTML header - see the Wikipoedia : List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references. Of course, I'm not sure that the BeBook would recognise them even then.
Hope this helps, I want to go back to reading now.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know if the problem was the BeBook's rendering engine, Sibil, Calibre, or my ePub's quality (or all of the above), but it clearly underscores the need for better tools for compliance and conversion. I wrote an essay on my site about the need in this industry for more devices that read all the popular formats, leaving the consumer to choose their device based on price and features, not on which formats it did or did not read. But conversion engines need to work first, and files need to be compliant in the first place.

I'll have to look closer at my ePub conversions, to make sure they are fully compliant with IDPF standards before I send them out.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #60
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Another Great Read!

Steve,

You have a true talent for creating a future that can be envisioned, and Verdant Skies is yet another gem. The characters were interesting, and the science sneaks up on you without hitting you over the head.

One of my favorite examples occurs when a lead character takes the tram across the station. Steve comments about the view from the trams:
Quote:
Only a few floors down, and the view from the trams became spectacular: You could see up through the open cylinder floors, all the way to Floor 20, on the opposite side of the satellite’s outer cylinder; and there was no more impressive sight in a satellite.
A small detail that contributes to the overall "flavor" of living on a satellite.

I did not foresee the surprises at the end (no other comments - I don't want to give anything away). I wish Verdant Skies had been longer, and I look forward to a sequel.

Keep writing them - I'll keep reading them!
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote