Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #1
sotirisp
sotirisp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle internet browser bookmark reload

Hi all,

I have created a small tool to edit the browser bookmarks located in /var/local/java/prefs/browser/bookmarks_wv using information from this thread.

My current solution to make the browser reload the bookmarks is to restart the kindle. I have also tried running /etc/init.d/browserd restart and /etc/init.d/webreaderd restart through SSH with no success. Is there any way to reload the bookmarks without restarting the kindle?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I spent a lot of time searching the forums without success.

My bookmark editor is available here if anyone is interested, especially considering the previous online editor is no longer accessible.
sotirisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Maybe you need to “stop browserd” before restarting it?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I don't remember if that applies to browserd, but some jobs do have *very* funky *restart* semantics, so, yeah, doing a stop/start instead may make sense .

(I mean, I'd even go so far as to say: stop browser; do stuff with settings; start browser; but, obviously, kind of not viable here ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
sotirisp
sotirisp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Tried the following, all without success:
  • /etc/init.d/browserd stop, changing the bookmarks and then /etc/init.d/browserd start
  • lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pmond stop browserd and then lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pmond start browserd
  • lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pmond kill browserd, then lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pmond stop browserd and then lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pmond start browserd

lipc-probe -a doesn't show anything that seems relevant either so I guess it's not possible to do this. At least it's easy to automate the reboot by running /sbin/shutdown -r now over ssh.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Last edited by sotirisp; 07-11-2021 at 06:26 PM.
sotirisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookmark, browser, kindle