Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have one Kamaka -- a six string that has a lovely tone, but not everything sounds right on a six-string. I've actually considered leaving the doubled strings off!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #32
bazmaz
Uke strummer
bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Green with envy!!!!

Enjoy
bazmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I even have a TV Pal -- a cheap plastic uke popularized by Arthur Godfrey in the early 60s. During the summer, I sometimes take it into the pool with me. Then there's the cigar box uke I put together from a kit from Papa's Boxes and a cigar box I bought for a couple of dollars from a tobacco shop. Although it's voice is rather thin and "tinny," it doesn't sound half-bad! It does have its own unique personality. You can hear me playing a song I wrote for it here.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #34
bazmaz
Uke strummer
bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bazmaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Been on the lookout for a TV Pal - but they dont crop up very much over this side of the Atlantic
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
Been on the lookout for a TV Pal - but they dont crop up very much over this side of the Atlantic
I've seen many on eBay, and the price is usually far lower than I would expect for an "antique." I don't know about shipping to England though. That could be expensive. (I'm assuming you're from England, since the prices in your book are given in Pounds.)

This one is $40.00 US. I believe I bought mine for $25, but it's been quite a while, so I may be mistaken. You could probably watch eBay for a while and find it cheaper. The ad also says that it is "damaged but playable." I'd wait on a better deal, myself.

One further caveat: even those is the best of condition are, of course, more of a toy than a ukulele. The tone is very soft, but not unpleasant, and it's a real bugger to keep them in tune.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-01-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Add last paragraph.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Thanks WT - yep - ebay is where I keep an eye open. Aware they are toys, but would like one for the collection.

If you do a youtube search for gugug (gus and fin) you will see some great videos they did, in some of which he uses a TV Pal. Think he does a review somewhere.

Yes - in England - cold and wet at the moment!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
Thanks WT - yep - ebay is where I keep an eye open. Aware they are toys, but would like one for the collection.

If you do a youtube search for gugug (gus and fin) you will see some great videos they did, in some of which he uses a TV Pal. Think he does a review somewhere.

Yes - in England - cold and wet at the moment!
Thanks for that! I just watched "The Gugug Ukulele Method (Part 7)" video and it shows the wonderful, if small, tone of the TV Pal. Not bad for a plastic production model sold in toy departments during the 50s!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #38
salgano
salgano began at the beginning.

Device: sony
WT - love those videos too!

Barry - having finished the book, I am finding myself going back to it regularly. You are right - it reads perfectly alongside tutor books.

Am getting there! (slowly!)
salgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Thank you Salgano

Age old question - what do people think of the price? There seems to be a tendency for books to be offered for 99 cents. I did some research, and chose to list at this price, and some point in future perhaps drop price for a special period?

Perhaps I should have started low then built it up?

Really no idea. It is still being downloaded, and I am not really that interested in chart placement. Would be concerned though if price is putting anyone off (seriously)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #40
salgano
salgano began at the beginning.

Device: sony
I was happy with price! I spent £30 on tutor books and really dont like any of them - bargain really!
salgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #41
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Thanks

Toying with dropping price, but is that going to offend those who already bought?

What do other readers think? Help?!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm happy with the price I paid. If a buy an ereader today for $200, and next week the company drops the price to $150, that's just the breaks. Do what you feel is best.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #43
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #44
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Hi folks - having asked around all day, have decided to offer the book for a limited time at half price - now only 99c - in case people were wavering or worried about the price.

If you were thinking about it - give it a go.

AMAZON

SMASHWORDS

Enjoy!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #45
bazmaz
Uke strummer

Following the sale price, the book has been back at full price for a while now.

For this week only though, on Smashwords, if you enter the coupon code BA72E You will get 33% off that price! Expires on 26 February 2011.

Cheers!