Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
69carat
69carat began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to manage library with 2 users (2 devices)

Hello All,

I checked on the forum but couldn't find the information. Also I hope this is at the right place, other wise please relocate my post @modo

I just got my wife a kobo libra H2O (she loved mine) . So now we have 2 ereader but one computer with calibre.

Here is my set up :
1 laptop , 1 account for each to log in.
But I only use my account to open calibre to upload books to both ereaders.
I have only one library.

If we read the same book how calibre will know what % we stopped or if i finish a book and my wife start reading one....

Do you have any suggestions on how i manage the library ? Do i need to create 2 libraries with the same books ?
Can Calibre recognize our ereader and know that i read 55% of the book or finished it and my wife is only at 15%

Thank you for your help, I am getting confused.
69carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is no simple (automatic) way to track 2 users (of a single library).
You can Tag: OnHis, OnHers
when connected is easiest:
ondevice: true; Select all; Bulk metadata edit and add (the) Tag
Removal is similar:
ondevice: false; Select all; Bulk metadata edit and REMOVE (the )Tag
Percentage is a whole nuther thing. If you want Numeric sorting, the custom columns FOR EACH user. Then it is MANUAL ENTRY
(you might be able to semi-custom (by device ID) this in Kobo Utilities Extended, since it does allow per device rules)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't know about automated, but the easiest way to track finishes of 2 readers in one library is to set up a column for each and they checkmark what they have finished. I don't see a point to a percentage unless you are sharing such information (like Goodreads) but that is already tracked.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
69carat
69carat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your answers. You are both right , the percentage is not very relevant, it is more to track if i finished the book or not.

Would you suggest to keep using one library or do an other set up.

I think the Tag idea is great i didn't thought about it.
I will look into this :
Quote:
(you might be able to semi-custom (by device ID) this in Kobo Utilities Extended, since it does allow per device rules)
Thanks
69carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69carat View Post
Thank you for your answers. You are both right , the percentage is not very relevant, it is more to track if i finished the book or not.

Would you suggest to keep using one library or do an other set up.

I think the Tag idea is great i didn't thought about it.
I will look into this :

Thanks
(those) Tags don't need a special column.
OTOH a Date finished, does: 1 per user.
Or a (3 state) T/F Finished per user: blank = not on devise, False = On Device, T = Finished
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, library, multiple, user