Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-28-2024, 09:52 AM   #1
mmobes
mmobes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Convince me to get a Boox Page instead of a Libre 2

Hey all, my Kindle Oasis finally died. I went to look at getting a new one and it looks like they’ve gotten rid of that model, so I’m in the market for a replacement. The two most interesting to me are the Libre 2 and the Boox Page.

I side load all of my books through Calibre, so I don’t need the Amazon store anymore. I like the idea of being able to load companion apps on the Page like Goodreads, but I wouldn’t use any of the other “tablet” features. I’m really just looking for the best e-reader that interfaces well with Calibre, has a nice UI, etc. I’m hoping you all can maybe make a case for the Boox Page over the Libre 2. I’m also going to post this in the Kobo thread just to get those opinions as well. Extra bonus points if you’ve used both.

And if you have a different suggestion, let me know that as well. I wasn’t a big fan of the form factor of the Pocketbook Era, but if something like that would be a better option, let me know.

Thanks!
mmobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:38 PM   #2
w00dent0p
Connoisseur
w00dent0p began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have a Libre 2 and also sideload everything through Calibre via USB, which can be rather laborious and was somewhat hit and miss, although it seems to be behaving itself on the latest Kobo FW.

Less laborious might be to install BookFusion on the Boox Page, and the BookFusion Calibre plugin. Then your book collection is stored in the cloud, and is available on the Boox (plus any phone/tablet with the BF app), without the need to physically connect it to the PC.

It's not enough for me to switch from Kobo to Boox, but if I was in your position, this might be something to consider, although there's a small BookFusion subscription involved.
w00dent0p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:05 AM   #3
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
I know [BOOX @ Page], but I use the [BOOX @ Leaf 2] model, which is very similar in many ways.
* I returned to ONYX after my Inkpad 4 touch screen stopped working after just 3 months, I will never buy another device from Pocketbook again, even because of the disastrous optimization and limited settings for ePUB books

I'm of the opinion that if you're looking for a book reader based solely on simplicity, Caliber support, not buying books online, KOBO is the logical choice. .

On the device [BOOX @ LEAF2], I really like the font settings, weight, contrast, etc., but here KOBO competes dangerously, IMHO KOBO has the best settings of all the competition.

What I like about Leaf 2 are the expanded options for setting fonts and pages. (KOBO has everything you need in this direction as well).

BOOX PAGE could be an advantage for you if you wanted to support the audio format (AIDIO-BOOKS) or the TTS function (text-to-speech) thanks to BT and the external speaker that BOOX has.
When I use Caliber, there is no problem with ONYX, the device is automatically recognized, I just added where I want certain book formats to be copied. (which format to which folder on the BOOX device)

* I also noticed that when I compare current book readers that use an additional layer of display protection, the BOOX has better contrast and writing sharpness compared to the Pocketbook. The fact that it is a device that uses the ANDROID operating system, the battery is very correct compared to a device like the Tolino Vusion 6, where the battery lasted about as long as a normal Android tablet.

Nevertheless, the KOBO LIBRA 2 is an excellent device with a beautiful contrast screen. If you are mainly interested in just reading, the KOBO LIBRA 2 is a completely logical choice.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-11-2024 at 12:36 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:07 AM   #4
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Why?

I have Android readers for reading in other languages. They have much better dictionaries, etc.

For "just reading" in English the Libra 2 is the way to go.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote