Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
RdR24
RdR24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O II
Calibre/Kobo Communication error

My Kobo always worked fine but somehow I now can't see or manage my e-books on my Kobo H2O device. I use an older version of Calibre on my early 2011 macbook pro with OSX High Sierra. This was never before a problem.

Note:
Adobe digital editions works fine
Kobo software works fine also

The error message on Calibre:

calibre, version 3.48.0
FOUT: Fout: Fout bij communicatie met apparaat (translation: error with communication with device)

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1932, in books
File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

What have i done sofar:
  • I've created a new library,
  • deleted old metadata.db files
  • restarted calibre

Does anyone have an idea what I can do?

regards

Rob
RdR24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-touch-glo-etc
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
RdR24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for the tip, sometimes one overlookes the things that are close.
  • Connect the Kobo directly to your computer, not via USB Hub
    That was already the case so I did not change this
  • Try a different USB cable and a different USB port on your computer
    That was already tried and also on different computers, so I did not change this

• Log out of the Kobo and log in again, this causes it to rebuild the database, fixing corrupted database errors.
    This was what helped! I first was afraid I would loose all my markings but they survived, phew
  • Try upgrading the firmware on your Kobo Touch to the latest
    I think this happened also when I logged in. So I cannot clearly seperate what solved the issue
  • Try resetting the Kobo (sometimes this cures the problem for a little while, but then it re-appears, in which case you have to reset again and again)
    I did not try this, not needed now

• Try only putting one or two books onto the Kobo at a time and do not keep large collections on the Kobo
    That would be difficult because it also serves as a sort of database to search something after a while
Old 02-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
RdR24

The only Drawback is that because of the software update of the Kobo H2O calibre 3.48 cannot put books on the Kobo reader anymore. So I'll now have to switch to my newer Imac with latest Calibre version to do this.

The message that appeared:

calibre, version 3.48.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version not supported - See details

Your Kobo is running on an updated firmware / database. Caliber does not know this updated firmware. To avoid problems with the data, updating of the database is disabled. You can still use Caliber to put books on your Kobo, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you don't mind an experiment and you know how to factory reset your Kobo, you can get around the block. To do this, right-click on your device icon in Caliber and select 'Set up this device'. In it, select 'Try to use newer firmware'. By doing this, you may need to factory reset your Kobo.
Device database version: 161.
Device firmware version: (4, 25, 15875)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdR24 View Post
The only Drawback is that because of the software update of the Kobo H2O calibre 3.48 cannot put books on the Kobo reader anymore. So I'll now have to switch to my newer Imac with latest Calibre version to do this.

The message that appeared:

calibre, version 3.48.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version not supported - See details

Your Kobo is running on an updated firmware / database. Caliber does not know this updated firmware. To avoid problems with the data, updating of the database is disabled. You can still use Caliber to put books on your Kobo, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you don't mind an experiment and you know how to factory reset your Kobo, you can get around the block. To do this, right-click on your device icon in Caliber and select 'Set up this device'. In it, select 'Try to use newer firmware'. By doing this, you may need to factory reset your Kobo.
Device database version: 161.
Device firmware version: (4, 25, 15875)
You can safely follow the advice in the message to enable the Try to use newer firmware option. If an issue ever appears with a new firmware version and this option, both the calibre and Kobo forums are going to have quite a few posts as soon as the firmware is released. The factory reset warning is pretty much there as a CYA just in case something does go wrong.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
communication, device, error