Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
abecedarian
Enthusiast
abecedarian began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre, Kobo Aura H2O
Superscript format lost in pdf to epub conversion using Calibre

I've converted a pdf file to epub in Calibre. Everything goes fine, except for the fact that the superscript format of the note numbers is completely lost in the conversion, which makes it next to impossible to find them back in the text of the epub. Is there anything I can do to get Calibre to retain the superscript format of the note numbers?
abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
PDF
did you read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118605

They can do things way out of the ability of Calibre to decode, let alon place properly in other formats
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
abecedarian
Enthusiast
abecedarian began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre, Kobo Aura H2O
I tried to use Mobipocket Creator (MC) to first convert the pdf to mobi (as suggested on the linked page), and then to convert the mobi to epub in Calibre, but using the IMPORT option for loading the pdf into MC leads to an "import failed" error message. So I guess that's the end to this experiment. But it might be a worthwhile tool for other pdfs if it is willing to import them. But I haven't tried that out yet. For the moment I guess I'm still stuck.

Edit (2020-12-02):
Currently I've resorted to a manual search of the note numbers in the text, somewhat aided by regex in finding and structuring them. I think ABBYY does a much better job in retaining the structure of the text and text formats like superscripts, but on the downside it will also introduce a need for spell checking. I don't know which strategy will be less time consuming: using Calibre or ABBYY.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-01-2020 at 07:40 PM.
abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, epub, pdf, superscript