Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Save, Import/Export Annotations, Highlights

I've been googling and can't find a satisfactory answer. I use both Moon+ Reader and Fbreader on tablets for my ebooks and I'm wondering if there is a simple way to save, and import/export notes, annotations, highlights. For instance, can I back up annotations of a book so that if my tablet dies, gets reset, etc., I can import those annotations and have them available on a clean install of Moon+ or Fbreader with the same ebook?
Thanks.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
webroot
Zealot
webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
I am not sure if I have the exact answer, but all top reading apps claim to have option for cloud syncing (It works through Google drive or Dropbox API) also user data/files can sync across multiple devices. You may try to cloud sync your generated user data (reading progress, highlights, notes etc) and when you are done with factory reset you can sync again to.get back those

Last edited by webroot; 07-29-2015 at 07:03 AM.
webroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webroot View Post
I am not sure if I have the exact answer, but all top reading apps claim to have option for cloud syncing (It works through Google drive or Dropbox API) also user data/files can sync across multiple devices. You may try to cloud sync your generated user data (reading progress, highlights, notes etc) and when you are done with factory reset you can sync again to.get back those
Thanks for the suggestion.
Would be awesome if there was a local Plex-like solution to do all that locally on my own server.
Seems there should be some way to simply back up book marks, notes, etc., with these apps.
Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately there's no common standard for this; each app has to reinvent the wheel.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately there's no common standard for this; each app has to reinvent the wheel.
Yes, a standard way of doing it across these apps would be great.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
webroot
Zealot
webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.webroot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
one thing that puzles me, most of these apps import ebook by creating a new ebook copy in their own folder, i suppose this is done to make changes in ebook file, similar to calibre, so like in calibre all highlights are stored in ebook file (for atleast epub) and backing up ebook file means backing up user data as well, shoulnt the mobile app also work that way, just asking if you have tried that.
webroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #7
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by webroot View Post
one thing that puzles me, most of these apps import ebook by creating a new ebook copy in their own folder, i suppose this is done to make changes in ebook file, similar to calibre, so like in calibre all highlights are stored in ebook file (for atleast epub) and backing up ebook file means backing up user data as well, shoulnt the mobile app also work that way, just asking if you have tried that.
That's the way I thought it would work, but have found no evidence that it does work. Ideally there should be a file that I could save and if my tablet for instance dies, I could reload my backed up ebooks without losing bookmarks, annotations, etc. That is what I would like.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:56 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Google has recently deployed a nice implementation for this in Play Books: as part of sync, it (optionally) saves a copy of the book's highlights and notes to Google Drive as an editable, exportable document. It works the same for epub files which you have uploaded to your Books library.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Google has recently deployed a nice implementation for this in Play Books: as part of sync, it (optionally) saves a copy of the book's highlights and notes to Google Drive as an editable, exportable document. It works the same for epub files which you have uploaded to your Books library.
I had high hopes for using Google for all my ebook needs. Their allowing one to upload ebooks was a good gesture. But two things are a Massive Fail with Google: the inability to search for uploaded ebooks, and no favorites or collections to sort ebooks into.
It is mind boggling that the search giant won't let you search uploaded books, also pretty much every Android ebook app has a favorites category for your ebooks, and yet Google can't manage that. Once you get several hundred ebooks uploaded to Google the whole thing becomes a useless mess. It is too much to go manually searching for an uploaded ebook every time you open the app
Edit/Update: Taking another look at Google Books I see that you can search for uploaded ebooks on Android. And one possibility of getting it to show only a certain selection of ebooks would be to go to settings and have it show only downloaded ebooks and then just download select ebooks. That looks about as close as I can get to a "favorites" in the Google Books Android app. And as you mentioned, you can go under settings and have Google save your notes, etc.

Last edited by conan50; 07-30-2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: update