Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 04-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #16
jinkazjinkaz
jinkazjinkaz began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 72
Wow! That is a long tutorial... My eyes start to hurt... j/k. I'll keep reading on this. I'm really interested in how to use Sunrise. I've been using Plucker for a while to view offline web pages. Thanks for the tutorial!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:47 AM   #17
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Great tutorial!
Advert
Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #18
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Laurens, it was my pleasure. It took over my weekend -- I really never expected it to get as lengthy as it did, but I kept coming back to things that tripped me up the first few times I used the program, so I kept wanting to explain in fairly non-techie terms what a particular function did.

Again, thank you for all of your work!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #19
Ohappydaye
TX Fanatic!
Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Palm TX/Moto V710
Doogie, you're the greatest. This has been extremely helpful! I'm in love with my Plucker/SunriseXP set up!! I can't thank you enough!
Old 04-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #20
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Thanks, Ohappydaye! I've never got a smilie with valentines before!
Advert
Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #21
Ohappydaye
TX Fanatic!
Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ohappydaye once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
Thanks, Ohappydaye! I've never got a smilie with valentines before!

Well, you are quite deserving. Thanks to you it's now "bye bye" Avantgo! This tutorial really is wonderful.

When I get home this evening I have quite a few RSS feeds to add. You ROCK!

Thanks again!
OHD
Old 04-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #22
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Rewriting Links

Terrific job, Doogie!

In the interest of getting as much as possible in one place, I'm taking the liberty of reposting an item I did a while back on rewriting links, which is about the only thing Doogie missed. (I also corrected some minor errors in the original version.)

This is an example of how to rewrite links, with a couple of extra tricks thrown in as well.

Let's say you want to grab the columns by Chuck Colson from the Christianity Today website. You'll find them at:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ctmag/features/columns/colson.html

Notice that this page, and each of the article pages, are loaded with ads, unwanted links, etc.

On the right, click the link for the printer version. When the printer-friendly box opens, right-click on it and select Properties from Internet Explorer or View Page Info from Firefox. You will find that the URL for the printer-friendly page is:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/global/printer.html?/ctmag/features/columns/colson.html

This is the URL to use in the URL/File field on the Main tab when you create the Sunrise XP document. You'll directly load the printer-friendly main page, eliminating the junk.

Now click on the link for a specfic column and you get something like this:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/002/19.144.html

The exact URL depends on the article you clicked. Again open the printer version, right-click and select Properties or View Page Info. The printer-friendly URL is:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/global/printer.html?/ct/2006/002/19.144.html

Now create your Sunrise XP document and create a link filter. Select "Regular Expression" for Match, "Filter all links" for Links, and "Rewrite links matching this pattern" for Filter.

Now, how do you turn the article link into the printable link?

Notice that they are identical up to ".com", then the printable link has some extra stuff (/global/printer.html?), then they end identically. If you check several articles, you'll see that the ending part is different for each article. You need to tell Sunrise to stick the extra text in ahead of the article-specific stuff no matter what it is. You start by specifying the part that is identical for all articles, then replace the rest with "(.*)", which essentially says, "match everything here no matter what it is". The result is:

http://www.christianitytoday.com(.*)

but the "." is a special Perl character, so you must put a backslash in front of it when you want it to be taken literally. Now you have:

http://www\.christianitytoday\.com(.*)

That's what goes in the Pattern field for the link filter. Not only will that match the link for any article, but the (.*) part will also grab all of the last part of the text and save it. Later, you can refer to it as "$1"

Now to rewrite the link, you want the part up to ".com", plus the extra stuff you need to insert, followed by the stuff saved as $1. You can write this as:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/global/printer.html?$1

This is what you put in the Rewrite field.

In more complex cases, you may need to use more than one "(.*)". In such a case, when you do the rewrite, the first becomes $1, the second $2 and so on.

The link below will take you to a tutorial on Perl Regular Expressions:

http://virtual.park.uga.edu/humcomp/perl/regex2a.html

An important rule to remember is that, if you use both "include" or "exclude" filters along with "rewrite" rules, Sunrise XP will rewrite the links before it applies the filters. A filter that would work on the original form of a link may not work on the rewritten form. Conversely, a filter that may exclude only the links you don't want if applied to their original form may exclude links you want when applied to the rewritten version.

For example, suppose you want to exclude a link to:
http://www.domain.com/garbage

You could write a rule that excludes all links of the regular expression form:
.*garbage

This will work. But if you want to rewrite all of the good links to add "&printer" to the end, you might then look for:
(.*)
and rewrite this as:
$1&printer

Again, this will work by itself. The problem, however, is that after the link you don't want is rewritten, it will be:
http://www.domain.com/garbage&printer

This will no longer match:
.*garbage
and the link will not be excluded.

You must either be more specific in what links you want to rewrite, so that the garbage link will not get rewritten, or you could change the exclude filter to look for:
.*garbage&printer

Last edited by DTM; 04-15-2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added material about rewriting before filtering
Old 04-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #23
Ohappydaye
TX Fanatic!

WOW!! You all are awesome!! Thanks DTM!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #24
Ohappydaye
TX Fanatic!

I just HAVE to share my joy with everyone. I am sooo in love with my Plucker/Sunrise XP set up! DTM and Doogie you guys absolutely ROCK!

Avantgo is OFFICIALLY O-V-E-R!! Plucker/Sunrise XP RULES!!!!!!!

Thank you ever so much DTM and Doogie!! *smooches*
Old 04-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #25
doogie68
Connoisseur

@DTM-- Thanks for the explanation. Wow, coding in Perl, new frontiers! I put a link in the section that talks about link re-writing to help people jump directly to your section if desired. Thanks again, and also for your help with the image sizes. Perhaps it was during an earlier iteration of Sunrise, but I made the image sizes large because otherwise some would not be included, but everything works great now.

@Ohappydaye-- Wow, you're into smilies, aren't you?
Old 04-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #26
Ohappydaye
TX Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68

@Ohappydaye-- Wow, you're into smilies, aren't you?
Yep!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #27
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
http://www.avantgosux.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohappydaye
Avantgo is OFFICIALLY O-V-E-R!! Plucker/Sunrise XP RULES!!!!!!!
Great to hear

Btw, have you ever tried to visit http://www.avantgosux.com or http://www.avantgosucks.com ? Now this is a company with low self-esteem!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #28
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Alexander, that is the funniest post I've seen in a long time. Hilarious. (I'd throw in a smiley, but after Ohappydaye, I'd look like an amateur.)

But let's not be too hard on Avantgo. I used them for years. What they do, they do reasonably well. If not for Avantgo, I never would have gotten interested in clipping web pages. And if not for their (extreme) limitations, I never would have jumped to Sunrise and Plucker.

So they make a nice appetizer. And then you come here for the meal.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #29
Ohappydaye
TX Fanatic!

LOL @ Alex. You are correct though DTM, AvantGo got me interested but didn't offer enough for me to stay with it. The limitations became bothersome even for a newb like myself. I thank AvantGo wholeheartedly, for if it weren't for them I would've never found Plucker/SunriseXP. So, I'll give 'em some credit for setting me on the path that I should go.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #30
doogie68
Connoisseur

I totally agree with DTM, back when I had an old monochrome Handspring Visor and I discovered AvantGo, stripped down channels and all, I thought it was absolutely the coolest thing I had ever seen, and I was rapidly hooked. I don't know how AvantGo operates now (it's easily been 4-odd years since I last used them), but back then, man was it slow, even with a broadband connection! When I figured out that you could customize channels, wow, how cool was that? And then I heard about Plucker and Laurens' JPluckX and realized how crippled AvantGo was and never looked back. But yes, they did start the ball rolling.

Alexander, those two links could possibly be the funniest thing I've ever seen, and it's a testament to how clueless AvantGo is. I don't doubt that companies may want to buy the domain company-x-sucks.com as a preventative measure, but geez, redirect your visitors to company-x.com, don't continue to keep the company-x-sucks.com domain visible in the screen!

P.S.-- To get the emoticon I want, it comes up in the text box as "blink!" Something's weird here...