Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Step 1, don’t watch a 37min YouTube video
I'm not a video oriented person, so I tend to avoid YouTube videos. I'm not sure how we got to the point where people seemed to think that it's better to put up a video of them talking than just put up a blog post of text.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Step 1, don’t watch a 37min YouTube video
Ditto. I'll read an opinion, but won't watch a long video.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
As far as how to read more, if you have to discipline yourself to read 30 minutes a day I think you're reading the wrong books, unless you have to read War and Peace or Finnegan's Wake for a class. If you read books that are fun and enjoyable you'll finish them in no time at all.
Not necessarily. Some people have to do this in order to get back to pleasure reading. All their reading time is otherwise taken up by work or their time taken up by family, surfing, interruptions, etc. Not to mention, it's a good scenario for someone who finds reading difficult, such as someone with dyslexia. OR as you say, to get through doorstops when you aren't accustomed to them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #19
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
...I'm not sure how serious we are really meant to take things, as clearly there is a streak of humor running through the video, and it all seems pretty scripted for entertainment effect, some good reading habits aside maybe. ...
I think that is what some are missing or perhaps not ever able to see ;-).

Interesting reading the YouTube comments, no sourpusses among them and even some who claim the video got them reading again. So I can only assume it was well produced for its target audiences, whether they be prolific readers or not.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #20
Bookstooge
Enthusiast
Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Bookstooge calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
How to read more:

Turn off the tv. Get off the internet. Read the feth'ing book!
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #21
lumpynose
Guru
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookMan EBM-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm not a video oriented person, so I tend to avoid YouTube videos. I'm not sure how we got to the point where people seemed to think that it's better to put up a video of them talking than just put up a blog post of text.
Sounds like you haven't hung out on forums where there are a lot of young people. On the one that I was on, well over 90% of the time they'd post a supposedly interesting or informative link, to a youtube video. Rarely, if ever, to something written. The other thing that I noticed is that when responding to someone, they loved to use an animated gif, or a static one with text added to it. And they thought doing that was so clever.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Sounds like you haven't hung out on forums where there are a lot of young people. On the one that I was on, well over 90% of the time they'd post a supposedly interesting or informative link, to a youtube video. Rarely, if ever, to something written. The other thing that I noticed is that when responding to someone, they loved to use an animated gif, or a static one with text added to it. And they thought doing that was so clever.
No, I have seen that as well, I just don't bother going to the video. Yea, I know that some prefer to just post links to videos. Just not my thing.

I'm on a college sports board and apparently the new thing is for recruits to put up videos of them verballing to this school or that. Apparently they can be quite elaborate.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
The other thing that I noticed is that when responding to someone, they loved to use an animated gif, or a static one with text added to it. And they thought doing that was so clever.
I hate those in the book reviews at Goodreads. Just tells me that review is worthless.

Nothing wrong with an occasional humorous image in a forum response though.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #24
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I hate those in the book reviews at Goodreads. Just tells me that review is worthless.

Nothing wrong with an occasional humorous image in a forum response though.
Occasionally I will look up a book on Goodreads to help determine if I might want to read it - if the reviews are full of gifs and/or photos of actors that the reviewer thinks represent characters in the book, I figure I am not in the book's target demographic!

I don't spend a lot of time on Youtube. I use it primarily for these things:

- Background scenery on my TV via Roku or Chromecast - like a nice beach scene or waterfall with nature sounds.

- Music

- Product reviews -though sometimes I have to start watching and reject several really badly done reviews before finding a useful one. Some people spend way too much time rambling on about random stuff that has nothing to do with the product. Also you have to wonder why someone who posts a lot of product reviews has never bothered to get a tripod or other stand for their camera.

- Help for something I need to do on my smartphone or computer. Though I generally prefer written instructions, sometimes the videos can be useful if well done as they show someone actually going through the steps. Though I HATE if I discover that the help video is nothing but frame after frame of text! Why not just post an article/blog/whatever?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Occasionally I will look up a book on Goodreads to help determine if I might want to read it - if the reviews are full of gifs and/or photos of actors that the reviewer thinks represent characters in the book, I figure I am not in the book's target demographic!
I wouldn't blame the book for the reviewer. In my experience, the reviews with photos tend to be the ones from users who users who treat Goodreads as more of a social club than a book review site.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
In my experience, the reviews with photos tend to be the ones from users who users who treat Goodreads as more of a social club than a book review site.
That's only because it IS a social club and not a book review site (at least not just a review site, anyway). There's a feed and friends, and groups like any other social media platform. I can understand not liking/needing/wanting that, but it's pretty hard to fault users for using the site as the social media experience it's actually intended to be.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #27
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
I wouldn't blame the book for the reviewer. In my experience, the reviews with photos tend to be the ones from users who users who treat Goodreads as more of a social club than a book review site.
When I come across those gif- and actor-photo-filled reviews I figure I have come across a book aimed at younger readers. I don't assume it's a bad book, just that I am probably not the target audience.

If I read a book and like it, then look on Goodreads to see what others thought, I never find those GIFS.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 AM   #28
cory ryan
cory ryan began at the beginning.

Device: none
cool, i'll have to check it out
cory ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #29
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Lovely bookstores but I have the secret. First, quit working. Working really eats into your reading time. Second, get a divorce. In my experience wives don't want husbands having any interest that doesn't involve them.

Third, is your kids. Read a lot when they're growing up, let them buy books, and you will raise another generation of readers. But, get them out on their own as soon as you can.

Fourth, get a Kindle so you can keep increasing the contrast and font size as you age. I can remember heading to the bathroom and grabbing a paperback of a stack waiting to be donated. When I opened the book my first thought was, "Need to increase the font size." Now that I'm 78 I can read War and Peace in three weeks while I'm peeing.

Last edited by patrickt; 07-12-2019 at 09:47 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #30
Timboli
Evangelist
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
From one cat to AnotherCat - I think you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
To be honest, while I don't mind the odd video, I generally avoid most of the stuff on youTube.

Likewise I'd often rather read, but Johnny is a dull boy if he (or she) just reads all day, and entertainment is entertainment .... usually comes in many flavors. I like to mix it up. You can do that you know ... if you are talented.

It is also my experience as a whole, that many more people can watch a video properly than can read a paragraph of text properly .... even so called bookworms often aren't very diligent. So in my view, video is a better medium in many cases, especially if it leads to others reading more.

P.S.S.T. Don't tell anyone, but I've still only watched that first 6.5 minutes. I've been too busy reading to watch the rest yet .... ha ha ha ha.

P.S.S. Perhaps some of you have been over-watching.

Last edited by Timboli; 07-13-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote