Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #91
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
eBooks never go out of stock. eBooks never sell out their initial run. Instead, I put a reminder that a book I want to read goes on sales. On the day....I ask myself "am I ready to read that book now?"

Still...it's yet another example of why DRM removal is a must. And I admit that I haven't really done much of that for my own purchases. I was burned with Fictionwise when they closed down.

I may be burned quite a bit if Amazon ever gets out of the ebook business
Stock may be unlimited but the distribution license isn't perpetual. I regret not getting David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon series as ebooks before as they don't seem to be available in the US now.

As for DRM Removal, Kindle for PC/Mac makes downloading your entire library to your PC relatively easy.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #92
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

As for DRM Removal, Kindle for PC/Mac makes downloading your entire library to your PC relatively easy.
Downloading for backup is easy. DRM removal takes some technical effort and isn't always successful
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #93
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Downloading for backup is easy. DRM removal takes some technical effort and isn't always successful
I have Kindle for PC 1.17 on my desktop and thus far, I haven't yet encountered a book where the tools don't work. *knock on wood*

For me so far, the steps for DRM removal has been as simple as:
1.) download ebook
2.) add to Calibre

Even initial setup was extremely simple (at least on Windows):
1.) install Kindle for PC 1.17
2.) install Calibre + plugins

No additional configuration required. The current system is actually so much easier compared to a decade ago (with python setup and i♥cabbages' scripts).
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #94
Gardenman
Fanatic
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, iRiver Story HD - Gave to Wife
Quote:
I have Kindle for PC 1.17 on my desktop and thus far, I haven't yet encountered a book where the tools don't work. *knock on wood*

1.) download ebook
2.) add to Calibre

No additional configuration required. The current system is actually so much easier compared to a decade ago (with python setup and i♥cabbages' scripts).

You do not even have to add to Calibre. Calibre will add automatically.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #95
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
You do not even have to add to Calibre. Calibre will add automatically.
I don't like using auto add directly with Kindle4PC's "My Kindle Content" folder since Calibre automatically deletes originals.

I prefer to delete the books from within the Kindle4PC program so it properly releases a device slot. With multiple devices and app instances, I've actually hit the device limit on a few books (looks like 6 max on those).
Old 07-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #96
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

1.) download ebook
2.) add to Calibre

I haven't run across any that it won't work on either.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #97
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Pre-ordering to me has simply never made sense. I have never pre-ordered an e-book. I get irritated when Amazon sends me an email offering e-books not yet released!
darryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #98
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Pre-ordering to me has simply never made sense. I have never pre-ordered an e-book. I get irritated when Amazon sends me an email offering e-books not yet released!
I do it if there's a discount involved or if there's a preorder price guarantee for a title I absolutely must have on day 1. You don't get charged until the book is released and it's free to cancel the preorder anyway.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #99
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do it if there's a discount involved or if there's a preorder price guarantee for a title I absolutely must have on day 1. You don't get charged until the book is released and it's free to cancel the preorder anyway.
No criticism of anyone else intended. I can understand it for people who must have it from day one and simply want to order and forget. I generally just add any pre-release title I'm interested in and place it on my list which I review frequently. Then when it is available at an acceptable price I buy it if I still want it.

Last edited by darryl; 07-11-2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 AM   #100
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
I pre-order often, when the price is acceptable. Not because I must immediately have it, but because I don't keep wishlists or watchlists and otherwise I'd forget. Generally I pre-order from Google Play and the price must be less than 10€, which it often is.

Last edited by Sirtel; 07-11-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #101
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I pre-order often, when the price is acceptable. Not because I must immediately have it, but because I don't keep wishlists or watchlists and otherwise I'd forget. Generally I pre-order from Google Play and the price must be less than 10€, which it often is.
That's pretty much the way I handle it, except I tend to pre-order from Amazon, my price is in US dollars and it's basically that the book isn't outrageously expensive. I've seen some books over $50, which is a bit more that I'm willing to pay for most books.

It really just comes down to there are certain authors I know that I want, thus for them I pre-order so I won't forget about it. Wish list is for books that look interesting but don't quite trigger a buy.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #102
darryl
Wizard

At the risk of intruding on a topic covered by a different thread, its a wonderful time for us readers. We have so many options that can be used in different ways according to our individual preferences.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #103
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
At the risk of intruding on a topic covered by a different thread, its a wonderful time for us readers. We have so many options that can be used in different ways according to our individual preferences.
Yep. I have lived in the time when there were far too few books available in my favorite genres. So I had to order them from overseas for abominable prices and wait for weeks or sometimes months before they arrived. Horrors. I consider myself really lucky to live here and now.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #104
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
No criticism of anyone else intended. I can understand it for people who must have it from day one and simply want to order and forget. I generally just add any pre-release title I'm interested in and place it on my list which I review frequently. Then when it is available at an acceptable price I buy it if I still want it.
I create wish lists as well mostly for stuff that I know go on sale predictably (Black Friday/Cyber Monday at the very least) or have a scheduled price drop (e.g. single issue comics).

However, price for some manga series I follow is a fairly constant $6.29-6.49 so if I ever see them on preorder for $4.99-$5.49, I just do the preorder. They're highly unlikely to go below that price anyway.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #105
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, Pixel C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I got lost in your statement somewhere. If ebooks are inferior, broken by design damaged goods, why switch from paper books?

I will say, given patience, ebooks are cheaper than paper books. It is common to find ebooks priced at $2.99 or less. Granted, The Once And Future King may not be $2.99 'on demand', but if you watch for a sale, it will be. At least, that's been my experience.

When I first saw Once and Future was out as ebook, I promptly requested my library get it, and they did! So I was first in line and really enjoyed the re-read. Now I can hopefully hold out for a price drop.

Most of my ebook reading is through my library, some thru public domain books, and here and there, a purchase. Patience definitely helps there! That, and I also am willing to roll my own where no ebook is available and not likely to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote