Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
xversion1
Enthusiast
xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Question Why do some epub files not show in-page foonotes?

I like to use in-page footnotes option but it works with some files and not with some others even I check all 6 options. Does anyone know why and how to fix it (I can use basic function of Calibre)?
Thanks!

Here a example file with a lot of notes, click on them and go back slowing my reading speed like 10x and really annoying: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zw8ft...bled.epub/file

Last edited by xversion1; 08-31-2021 at 08:21 AM.
xversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That book is most likely copyrighted (although I didn't check whether the translation and notes are CC or something, I confess). You can scramble it if you'd like others to look at it. I think there's a calibre plugin for that.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 09:50 PM   #3
xversion1
Enthusiast
xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xversion1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That book is most likely copyrighted (although I didn't check whether the translation and notes are CC or something, I confess). You can scramble it if you'd like others to look at it. I think there's a calibre plugin for that.
What do you mean by "scramble it"? Sorry, I don't familiar with the term.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:33 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Alter the text, but keep the format: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
xversion1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Alter the text, but keep the format: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998
Here the scrambled file, hope it's OK : https://www.mediafire.com/file/zw8ft...bled.epub/file
Advert
Old 09-02-2021, 04:57 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It's not immediately clear to me why the .footnote class there isn't resulting in in-page footnotes, @poire-z should know. There are some limitations to the system when trying to do the best thing with what are effectively regular old links.

But there's a second footnote system in settings → taps & gestures → links → show footnotes in popups which does detect these.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #7
xversion1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
It's not immediately clear to me why the .footnote class there isn't resulting in in-page footnotes, @poire-z should know. There are some limitations to the system when trying to do the best thing with what are effectively regular old links.

But there's a second footnote system in settings → taps & gestures → links → show footnotes in popups which does detect these.
Thanks a lot! This new trick is much better. For months I wondered why Koreader doesn't show notes as Kindle does and struggled with it taking me to another page every time I want to see a note, took me while to setup a gesture to go back to previous page as quick as possible. Now I can see notes as using Kindle. Still it'll be best if notes appear as in-page footnotes, no touching needed.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In-depth answer here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341500

Quote:
Still it'll be best if notes appear as in-page footnotes, no touching needed.
It's quite rare for me to come across one that doesn't work out of the box, let alone one that can't be massaged into it. Hopefully it'll be a case of first and only.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:10 PM   #9
xversion1
Enthusiast

Quote:
In-depth answer here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341500

It's quite rare for me to come across one that doesn't work out of the box, let alone one that can't be massaged into it. Hopefully it'll be a case of first and only.
I can't open your link. Click on it lead back to this thread.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:20 AM   #10
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-911569190
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #11
Frenzie
Wizard

Hasty copy-paste error, but already resolved.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:41 AM   #12
xversion1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
So, as I understand, there's no way to fix this book?
Old 09-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #13
Frenzie
Wizard

Not through styletweaks, but in principle you can fairly easily fix the book itself by fixing the IDs (for example with Sigil or just an archive application + text editor).
Old 09-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #14
xversion1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Not through styletweaks, but in principle you can fairly easily fix the book itself by fixing the IDs (for example with Sigil or just an archive application + text editor).
Can you elaborate? I don't know coding but I have calibre and can follow guide blindly. I guess replace function could be used to fix all IDs at once somehow?
Old 09-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #15
Frenzie
Wizard

The links to footnotes look like this:
Code:
<a href="part0025.html#mah0002108" id="mah0004586" class="calibre5"><sup class="EBsup">1</sup></a>
The footnote looks like this:
Code:
<p id="mah0002107" class="footnotes"><a href="part0015.html#mah0004586" id="mah0002108" class="calibre5"><sup class="EBsup">1</sup></a><em class="calibre7">Rwywbbh</em> huive zh lof. Bcq ozllz md Upqdn coxcvk ewyd ks Oyoun ucl gicp pqsottdyv dy Zdyfxgp 32 (Vggsbg 5).</p>
It will show up as a footnote if you move that ID attribute from the A element over to its parent P element:
Code:
<p id="mah0002108" class="footnotes"><a href="part0015.html#mah0004586" class="calibre5"><sup class="EBsup">1</sup></a><em class="calibre7">Rwywbbh</em> huive zh lof. Bcq ozllz md Upqdn coxcvk ewyd ks Oyoun ucl gicp pqsottdyv dy Zdyfxgp 32 (Vggsbg 5).</p>
Unfortunately I'm not sure if there's an easy way to automate that, and there are hundreds of footnotes.

There's probably something available in Node for example that'd allow you to write out a new file after performing a transformation like this
Code:
const footnotes = document.getElementsByClassName('footnotes');
// for each footnote
footnote.setAttribute('id', footnote.firstChild.getAttribute('id'));
Or as a regular expression, something along the lines of:
Code:
<p id="([a-z0-9]*)" class="footnotes"><a href="[a-z0-9]*\.html#[a-z0-9]*" id="([a-z0-9]*)"
And then you have to replace the first group by the second group…

The second would probably be easier to do, but either way I'm not sure if there's a user-friendly way to do it. Suggestions on nice GUI apps welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-09-04_21-56-13.png
Views:	126
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	189107  

Last edited by Frenzie; 09-04-2021 at 04:22 PM.