Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
jmrdv
jmrdv began at the beginning.

Device: SAmsung Tab s 8.4
calibre fails to start

calibre, version 5.9.0
ERROR: Contacting calibre failed: Failed to contact running instance of calibre, try restarting calibre

Failed to connect to Listener at: \\.\pipe\CalibreGUI-Johnx with error: QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name

b'launched:["calibre.exe"]'

--

Sometimes it will start after about a minute - other times it just never starts.
Win 10 build 19042 (64 bit) 32 gb ram, i7-8700K cpu and lots of available space.

I checked windows with sfc and dism - no problems found. Drives also check out. Deleted Calibre and installed to new directory - same concern.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks in advance for any replies.
j
jmrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Does it work after a reboot?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
jmrdv

Not always. Also tried safe mode - same problem at times. It's weird since it does not happen every time.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrdv View Post
Not always. Also tried safe mode - same problem at times. It's weird since it does not happen every time.
Long shot - try the portable version.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What AV are you running? If it's not Microsoft Defender, then turn it off and see how it goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 11:00 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

do you by chance have calibre.exe set to run at startup?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #7
jmrdv

I use windows defender and had already tried an exception ... IT is not set to run at startup. I just downloaded 5.10 and will see if that changes anything. If not then i will try the portable version. In any case i will let you all know -thanks for he suggestions.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
Elaine T
Enthusiast
Elaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolateElaine T is generous with chocolate

Device: kindle paperwhite
Did you get a fix?

I'm seeing this and so is my kid which means it is happening on two different computers & OSs & versions of Calibre. When it happened this morning I finally remembered to try running in debug mode, and of course, Calibre restarted just fine so the log won't be useful.
Elaine T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #9
jmrdv

fails to start

I have narrowed it down to a conflict between private internet access and calibre. Whenever PIA is running (vpn program) calibre either fails to start or will take multiple tries to start and even then it starts slowly. When PIA is not running then calibre runs fine.

PIA says no comment and no one else on their forums has any concerns with running programs alongside it.

I have tried different (32 and 64 bit) versions of the VPN and they all work fine but calibre has the problem with them running.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/download
Old 03-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

well that software is interfering with local connections, which a VPN software should not need to do. Find a better VPN software.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #11
jmrdv

I finally found a way to overcome this. I let windows compatibility tester test and set it to run in compatibility mode for windows 8 .Now it starts and runs regardless of whether any VPN is running. I had earlier taken your advice and changed VPN providers to no avail as I kept getting the same error codes.
RROR: Contacting calibre failed: Failed to contact running instance of calibre, try restarting calibre

Failed to connect to Listener at: \\.\pipe\CalibreGUI-Johnx with error: QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name

b'launched:["calibre.exe"]'