Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-17-2021, 05:51 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Jon, are you satisfied with your first post as an introduction to the NMRBC? If you are, I'll request that it gets added to the main page.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:02 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Jon, are you satisfied with your first post as an introduction to the NMRBC? If you are, I'll request that it gets added to the main page.
Yes, I am satisfied. Thank you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:35 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would it be better to leave the nominations to three nods or would it be better to go to two nods?
Old 05-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I vote for 3.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The vote is the only thing that really counts when it comes to what is finally selected to read, so I suggest you keep the nomination process as simple and clear as possible, while still considering practicalities of running the show.

So, something like: the first 10 books to get 2 nods go into the vote.

(10 is arbitrary, but 10..15 is what I would consider the practical range.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:04 AM   #21
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The vote is the only thing that really counts when it comes to what is finally selected to read, so I suggest you keep the nomination process as simple and clear as possible, while still considering practicalities of running the show.

So, something like: the first 10 books to get 2 nods go into the vote.

(10 is arbitrary, but 10..15 is what I would consider the practical range.)
I agree, two nods should be enough. If the interest for the book club explodes, we can always reconsider.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We'll go with two nods for now and we can see how it goes from there.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-20-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:36 AM   #23
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A couple of suggestions:

Go back to 2 nods for August. We don't have a lot of people nominating, so I'm afraid requiring 3 nods will leave us with too few books to choose among.

Start the discussion thread when the book is selected, so that we can discuss the book as we're reading. I think there's a chance that might lead to more discussion, so it's worth trying out. We could put specifics in spoiler boxes, something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Example of how a discussion post might be
I'm only a couple of chapters in, and like this book so far, especially the characters. I'm not sure what I think about the worldbuilding, it seems a bit cliched so far.

Chapter 1
Spoiler:
Eleanor seems almost aggressively harmless, I suspect she's going to reveal hidden depths soon. The baking scene had some sinister undertones. I wonder if the missing cinnamon roll recipie is related to the feud with the neighbours?

Chapter 2
Spoiler:
Aha, the neighbour is a vampire! So that's why Eleanor prefers wooden knitting needles!
I'm not sure I liked the spaceship scene, it kind of came out of the blue.

Last edited by hildea; 07-23-2021 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
A couple of suggestions:

Go back to 2 nods for August. We don't have a lot of people nominating, so I'm afraid requiring 3 nods will leave us with too few books to choose among.

Start the discussion thread when the book is selected, so that we can discuss the book as we're reading. I think there's a chance that might lead to more discussion, so it's worth trying out. We could put specifics in spoiler boxes, something like this:
If we don't have enough, we'll either do 2 nods or one nod. I'll see what happens by the time nomination period is up.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #25
hildea
Wizard

It seems that Jon is busy these days? I'm a bit wary of stepping on toes, but I guess there's no reason to put all of the burden of running the club on him. So perhaps anyone who has time can start threads for voting, discussion, and nomination when the time seems right?
Old 08-12-2021, 05:09 AM   #26
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
It seems that Jon is busy these days? I'm a bit wary of stepping on toes, but I guess there's no reason to put all of the burden of running the club on him. So perhaps anyone who has time can start threads for voting, discussion, and nomination when the time seems right?
I don't have the time, I wish I did. I thought he was going to set up a 2 nod vote for the this month, but he hasn't yet. I've gone ahead and started reading the book I nominated, The Time Machine.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #27
hildea
Wizard

OK, I've started the vote.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes, I have been busy. I'll be away from home for a week. I'll be no longer busy the end of August. If someone could do the nominations starting sometime this weekend, that would be a big help. I can do the voting starting the 30th.

September's genre is non-fiction. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #29
hildea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If someone could do the nominations starting sometime this weekend, that would be a big help.
Done
Old 08-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Done
Thank you.