Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
This one? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401767044178

Well, the price was right. As I said before, after that tumble I’m suddenly prioritizing cheap & disposable over a smaller form factor. I’m sure it’ll be fine, assuming it works. If this is a Kobo Aura Edition 2 with a backlight, I got a better deal than I realized.
Yep, that's the Aura 2. It's a step up from the Aura I was talking about because it's got a newer generation screen. The design is less fancy and I think it's a bit bigger, but it's a nice reader.

By the way, all the Auras have lighted screens.

The original Aura had a fancier build (flush screen. elegant design), SD card, compact form factor.

The Aura 2 was considered a real disappointment on release. The SD card was gone, the resolution wasn't increased and the chassis was more boring.

But a $25 Aura 2 is better than a $50-60 Aura.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 AM   #17
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Quote:

Solar chargers, however, are excellent ideas with poor implementation. If I am camping, and I have access to the sunlight all day long, then charging by sun will work, but they’re so slow that they are impractical for on the go charging. What solar charger do you use that doesn’t take hours on end?
I actually generally use either a solar powrbank from the OUTXE firm (which are both waterproof and have a large solar panel on them). Or I will take a small solar panel either a 7 or 14W one, I currently have a Kingsolar 14W solar panel in my car which only cost £20.00 from Amazon.

Another option in the solar powerbank line is the Ravpower solar powerbank.

Also you can now buy backpacks with a solar panel built into them (or detachable).
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #18
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
I actually generally use either a solar powrbank from the OUTXE firm (which are both waterproof and have a large solar panel on them). Or I will take a small solar panel either a 7 or 14W one, I currently have a Kingsolar 14W solar panel in my car which only cost £20.00 from Amazon.

Another option in the solar powerbank line is the Ravpower solar powerbank.

Also you can now buy backpacks with a solar panel built into them (or detachable).
I'll look into those. Thanks!
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:22 PM   #19
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yep, that's the Aura 2. It's a step up from the Aura I was talking about because it's got a newer generation screen. The design is less fancy and I think it's a bit bigger, but it's a nice reader.

By the way, all the Auras have lighted screens.

The original Aura had a fancier build (flush screen. elegant design), SD card, compact form factor.

The Aura 2 was considered a real disappointment on release. The SD card was gone, the resolution wasn't increased and the chassis was more boring.

But a $25 Aura 2 is better than a $50-60 Aura.
My Kobo Aura arrived today, exactly as described, but not as advertised. Meaning, the auction description was correct, but they depicted Aura Edition 2 photos, not Aura photos. So…not as great a deal as I started to think I got, but still not bad for $20 plus shipping.

It booted up immediately, let me log into my kobo account, then immediately began an update. Afterwards, it imported all my books, including Overdrive, let me sign into Pocket, and worked just fine. I also tested the mini SD card. It automatically loaded all the books on it and made them available. Nice. I can see why people miss those slots.

Over all, thumbs up! Yes, there are scratches, as per the auction description, and this unit has clearly taken a tumble or two, but it'll be perfect for tossing in my backpack and surfing the concrete on my longboard. It's only slightly bigger than a mini, comes with a backlight, and has a flush bevel. I like it. I mean, it's no replacement for my KA1, but I think it's just what I was looking for.

The eReader came with a bol.com affiliation, which I changed. I'm not sure what impact bol.com affiliation would have. I'm not familiar with the company.

Two points of interest. One, I noticed that keyboard response was snappy on this Kobo Aura before the update (4.14.12777) installed. All Kobos are pokey when it comes to keyboard input. I now know it's due to Kobo's software, not their hardware, because I was initially thrilled with the Kobo Aura's ability to keep up with my thumb typing. Now it's just as slow as my KA1 and my daughter's Clara HD. What is up with that? I wish Kobo would tweak performance as much as they worry about adding features.

Two, and this opens a can of worms deserving of a separate thread, but I noticed that all my old Reading Awards badges from my long sold Kobo mini repopulated. All of them activated. Two pages worth. Meanwhile, my KA1 is still waiting for BookLover to be cleared. Other time sensitive awards are also awaiting completion on my KA1, like Witching Hour. I promise, I have read more than five days in a row during 12am-1am. But those time sensitive awards are completed now on my "new" Kobo Aura. It makes me wonder if many of these awards are hard coded for completion only for certain older Kobo models. Davidfor and others would know best.

Anyway, I'm tickled black and eInk gray all over. I've got my "Something like the Kobo mini". Thanks for everybody's input.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-18-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
The eReader came with a bol.com affiliation, which I changed. I'm not sure what impact bol.com affiliation would have. I'm not familiar with the company.
None, AFAIK, besides the default sleep screen being a BOL.COM logo. It's a large Dutch e-retailer, like a Dutch Amazon. I got my Kobo readers from them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
My Kobo Aura arrived today, exactly as described, but not as advertised. Meaning, the auction description was correct, but they depicted Aura Edition 2 photos, not Aura photos. So…not as great a deal as I started to think I got, but still not bad for $20 plus shipping.
Glad you like your purchase.

I really like the screen on my new Clara, but I miss the form factor and flush screen of the Aura. If I could have put the Clara's screen in the body of my Aura, I would have done it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Glad you like your purchase.

I really like the screen on my new Clara, but I miss the form factor and flush screen of the Aura. If I could have put the Clara's screen in the body of my Aura, I would have done it.
Same here.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote