Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2019, 12:15 AM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Authors list in My Books

Am I the only one who "corrects" the metadata for authors so that the displayed name matches the sort name, namely make it LastName, FirstName?

In the Authors list in My Books it seems to think that that comma separates multiple authors so every author is in that list at least twice.

Is there any way to fix this?

Last edited by lumpynose; 05-09-2019 at 12:17 AM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:08 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In earlier firmware versions (up to 3.19.5761, maybe some of the early 4.x.x versions?) the ampersand '&' ligature and the word 'and' were used to separate multiple authors' names, so a comma could be used to write the individual name in "Last, First" format without problems.

But then later they changed the multiple name separator to comma, and so now the "Last, First" format doesn't work properly.

I think the Authors tab was added about the same time they changed the name separator to comma or shortly after, so I don't think there is any firmware version where the Authors tab works properly with names in "Last, First" format.

So in short you can downgrade to an earlier firmware (without the Authors tab) and use names in either "First Last" or "Last, First" format, but if you want to run the current firmware then you have to either use the "First Last" format or else live with the problems caused by the comma being treated as a name separator.

Edit: Some examples might make it clearer what I mean:

In earlier firmware versions all of these author name formats were supported:
* Joe Bloggs and Jane Smith
* Joe Bloggs & Jane Smith
* Joe Bloggs, Jane Smith
* Bloggs, Joe and Smith, Jane
* Bloggs, Joe & Smith, Jane

But in later firmware versions only one format is supported:
* Joe Bloggs, Jane Smith

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-09-2019 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Examples
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thanks. I'm looking at calibre's metadata plugboard, maybe I can use it to put the author names in the format the kobo prefers.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
In earlier firmware versions (up to 3.19.5761, maybe some of the early 4.x.x versions?) the ampersand '&' ligature and the word 'and' were used to separate multiple authors' names, so a comma could be used to write the individual name in "Last, First" format without problems.

But then later they changed the multiple name separator to comma, and so now the "Last, First" format doesn't work properly.
Ah, thanks for this info! I wondered why my authors list was janked up. I guess I need to go through Calibre and update how I'm storing the author names to fix it. Easy enough to do, now that I know.
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:47 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalita View Post
Ah, thanks for this info! I wondered why my authors list was janked up. I guess I need to go through Calibre and update how I'm storing the author names to fix it. Easy enough to do, now that I know.
As a rule, it works better to store the author name as the natural version of the name. Or whatever you would expect to see on the cover of the book. Use the author sort for the alternate version. You can use either in a template when saving the book or in a metadata plugboard. And if you prefer to see the sort version in calibre, you can display that instead.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 02:48 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Ok, thanks. I'm looking at calibre's metadata plugboard, maybe I can use it to put the author names in the format the kobo prefers.
The one I am using is:

Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
Old 05-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As a rule, it works better to store the author name as the natural version of the name. Or whatever you would expect to see on the cover of the book. Use the author sort for the alternate version. You can use either in a template when saving the book or in a metadata plugboard. And if you prefer to see the sort version in calibre, you can display that instead.
Better for who/what? As a rule it is better to have two separate fields for display and sorting... I'm going to recommend this in the firmware suggestions thread.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
The one I am using is:

Code:
program: raw_list('authors', ', ')
Great thanks. I now also display the author sort column; duh, why didn't that occur to me before. Probably because the main place I see the natural version is on the book while searches at my public library and other computer stuff often uses the LN, FN form. Yet another language wrinkle; don't the Chinese put the last name first?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
"Yet another language wrinkle; don't the Chinese put the last name first?"

Maybe in theory, but in English texts they often are the "English Way". Also they may have a Chinese first name and 'adopt' an English name (that might not be a translation or transliteration), so Wang Lia might be Anne Wang in English texts.

Japanese, Chinese, Arabic and Hebrew books are usually written right to left (as Greek was originally) hence Japanese Graphic novels even in English have the front cover to the left, not right as you look at the spine. So I'd imagine eReaders ought to swipe the opposite direction to turn pages forwards?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:18 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Better for who/what?
Better for overall use of the systems involved. And I was referring mainly to how calibre works (see the post I quoted).
Quote:
As a rule it is better to have two separate fields for display and sorting...
Isn't that what I said? Use the display field to show the author how the author wants it represented, use the sort field for other purposes.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:10 AM   #11
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Isn't that what I said? Use the display field to show the author how the author wants it represented, use the sort field for other purposes.
He also said, "I'm going to recommend this in the firmware suggestions thread." so I think he's talking about the Kobo, not Calibre.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Better for overall use of the systems involved. And I was referring mainly to how calibre works (see the post I quoted). ...
Sorry, I jumped the gun.
Quote:
... Isn't that what I said? Use the display field to show the author how the author wants it represented, use the sort field for other purposes.
Unfortunately, the Kobo doesn't do this?
Old 05-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Kobo doesn't do this?
No, it doesn't. And it would be a significant change to do it this way.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, it doesn't. And it would be a significant change to do it this way.
It wouldn't be significant.

If the author_sort field exists, use it and do a simple sort (no interpretation of the data), else fallback to the current sort. Give it to an intern.

IMO, assuming relatively good software engineering practices.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It wouldn't be significant.

If the author_sort field exists, use it and do a simple sort (no interpretation of the data), else fallback to the current sort. Give it to an intern.

IMO, assuming relatively good software engineering practices.
Sorry, but you are drastically underestimating the work needed. No, I have never seen the code, but I understand enough about the database and some of the other things going on, that it isn't that simple.