Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Question about page turn zones

How ambidextrous are Kobo tap zones?

I like to turn pages by a simple tap (not a swipe). Currently on a PW2 I use, I can only tap on the right side of the screen to do a next page. A tap on the left side will only perform a previous page. This is useless to me as I very rarely go to a previous page. I want to be able to do a next page by tapping BOTH the right hand side of the screen AND the left side. This would mean I can do a next page tap compfortably while holding the device with either the left or right hand, and do it one-handed.

Can a Kobo do this? I know a few years ago it couldn't but I think the page turn tap zones have been changed. I'm looking specifically at the Clara. I want a 6". The buttons on the Forma would be nice if the device is reversible like the Oasis, but its a bit big and expensive.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
They haven’t changed that I’m aware of but you can set it so the tap zones are aligned vertically rather than horizontally meaning a tap on the left or right top half-ish of the screen would go back and the bottom half-ish would go forward. I say half-ish because part of the middle is dedicated to bringing up the controls.

It’s not the whole screen that you wanted but it’s still something. I’m not sure if Kindle offers similar or not.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Yeah, using top as page back and the bottom as page forward allows me to read one handed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Yeah, I hold the device along the bottom, so the bottom part as page forward works one-handed for either hand for me. YMMV of course.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 AM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I made a patch for this, as it was requested a while ago. You can download the patches for v4.13.12638 here.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Thanks for the info. I also use Android ereaders where I can set all the screen except for the middle to do a next page. It's a shame neither Kindle nor Kobo have realized this is a great mode to have.

On a Kindle/Kobo you can install Koreader and Coolreader. Coolreader allows full touch-zone customization. I think in theory Koreader can be set to do something similar, but I haven't tried it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Thanks for the info. I also use Android ereaders where I can set all the screen except for the middle to do a next page. It's a shame neither Kindle nor Kobo have realized this is a great mode to have.

On a Kindle/Kobo you can install Koreader and Coolreader. Coolreader allows full touch-zone customization. I think in theory Koreader can be set to do something similar, but I haven't tried it.
Patching a Kobo is the way to go. Easy to do (IMHO, easier than installing an alternative reader), and it lets you do exactly as you ask -- tap on either side to page forward. Check out Geek 1011's links above.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
defaults.persistent.lua
Code:
-- customizable tap zones(rectangles)
-- x: x coordinate of top left corner in proportion of screen width
-- y: y coordinate of top left corner in proportion of screen height
-- w: width of tap zone in proportion of screen width
-- h: height of tap zone in proportion of screen height
DTAP_ZONE_MENU = {x = 1/8, y = 0, w = 3/4, h = 1/8}
DTAP_ZONE_CONFIG = {x = 3/8, y = 7/8, w = 1/4, h = 1/8}
DTAP_ZONE_MINIBAR = {x = 3/8, y = 31/32, w = 1/4, h = 1/32}
DTAP_ZONE_FORWARD = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 1, h = 1}
DTAP_ZONE_BACKWARD = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 0, h = 0}
DTAP_ZONE_BOOKMARK = {x = 7/8, y = 0, w = 1/8, h = 1/8}
DTAP_ZONE_FLIPPING = {x = 0, y = 0, w = 1/8, h = 1/8}
One nice thing about KOReader is progress syncing between devices has been pretty seamless for me. Along with same controls/tap zones, makes using multiple readers easier.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote