Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #31
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It means that the LED lights are making visible small cones of light on the edges where the LEDs are situated.

(I don't own this unit, so anyone - please feel free to amplify upon this.)
It wasn't the cone problem.

Early Kobo Clara HDs had a seam of light along the edge of the screen where the LEDs are.

People aren't reporting the problem anymore, so it is apparently fixed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #32
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
What is the light bleed issue?
you'll know if your unfortunate enough to get one that suffer's with the problem.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
What is the light bleed issue?
It is extra light leaking in from the sides of the screen, causing offputting bright patches. It was caused by kobo not putting blackout tape on the sides of the screen, so when the frontlight was turned on, extra light would show up.

It seems to have been fixed on newer builds. Mine doesn't have that issue and I don't think many people do. But such a simple flaw getting through quality control looked bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clara.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1,003.3 KB
ID:	171242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clara 2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	171243  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #34
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
ZodWallop
Name:  Clara.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  2.8 KB
in the photo Clara you recently bought?
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
ZodWallop
Attachment 171245
in the photo Clara you recently bought?
No. As mentioned, mine doesn't have the issue at all. That photo was from the Clara thread where light bleed came up.

Far as I know, the issue has been resolved.
Advert
Old 05-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #36
abij
abij began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
@ZodWallop by any chance, do you know if glo HD suffers the same sort of light leaking? Thanks.
abij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I only know what I've seen on these boards. I've never heard of the Glo HD having these issues.

But if you're thinking of a Glo HD instead of a Clara, I'd advise against it. Most Claras didn't have the issue. And like I've said, I think they fixed it for all new ones. At least, nobody has come here complaining that their new Clara has it for quite a while. Mine doesn't have it.

The Clara does everything the Glo HD does and has the color changing light and more internal storage (though you can replace the internal storage on both the Glo HD and the Clara).
Old 05-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #38
abij

Thank you.

Quote:
But if you're thinking of a Glo HD instead of a Clara, I'd advise against it. Most Claras didn't have the issue. And like I've said, I think they fixed it for all new ones. At least, nobody has come here complaining that their new Clara has it for quite a while. Mine doesn't have it.
But around 8:13 in this youtube video, you can see glo HD on the left shows a similar lighting as the second picture you uploaded previously about Clara HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Clara does everything the Glo HD does and has the color changing light and more internal storage (though you can replace the internal storage on both the Glo HD and the Clara).
I know Clara is the newer one but on page 9 of imx6 CPU series portfolio, you can see glo HD's CPU imx6 solo has doubled L2 cache and 3D graphics while Clara HD's imx6 sololite is only 2D capable.

Correction: glo HD has imx6 sololite and newer Clara HD has imx6 sololite second gen, see NiLuJe's post down below.

More importantly, glo HD seems to have a greater edge in that the screen is infrared not capacitive, so in winter wearing gloves is not an issue.

I know Clara HD is on sale now, but I am running into hesitancy because of the bleeding screen of early batches and an inferior CPU.

Last edited by abij; 05-03-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: correct cpu info
Old 05-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #39
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abij View Post
I know Clara HD is on sale now, but I am running into hesitancy because of the bleeding screen of early batches and an inferior CPU.
I have both devices.

Clara HD is smaller, lighter, sleeker.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by abij View Post
But around 8:13 in this youtube video, you can see glo HD on the left shows a similar lighting as the second picture you uploaded previously about Clara HD.
To be clear: the issue isn't the cones of light at the bottom of the screen (those in the yellow circle). Those happen on all lighted e-ink screens under some lighting conditions (usually if you have the light set low in a very dark room). The light bleed is the light on the side (the red circle). That is a defect of the Kobo manufacturing process that needed to be fixed.

Quote:
I know Clara is the newer one but on page 9 of imx6 CPU series portfolio, you can see glo HD's CPU imx6 solo has doubled L2 cache and 3D graphics while Clara HD's imx6 sololite is only 2D capable.

More importantly, glo HD seems to have a greater edge in that the screen is infrared not capacitive, so in winter wearing gloves is not an issue.

I'll leave the research and decision making up to you. I don't have a Glo HD to compare the Clara to. I wouldn't hesitate from buying a Clara only because of the light bleed. Like I said, I believe it is fixed and if you get a dud, you can exchange it.

Sounds like you have other reasons to buy the Glo HD. But since Kobo hasn't made the Glo HD for a while, you're buying a used, years old device and possibly paying more for it. Something to consider.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clara 2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	171247  
Old 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #41
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
That is a defect of the Kobo manufacturing process that needed to be fixed.
This is a screen defect. Apparently Kobo began to check the screens more carefully. Or changed the supplier.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
This is a screen defect. Apparently Kobo began to check the screens more carefully. Or changed the supplier.
No, it's not a screen defect. It was failure by Kobo to add blackout tape to the sides of the screen. People who bought Claras and had this problem were able to fix the issue using electricians tape, as you can see in this YouTube video:

Old 05-03-2019, 03:18 PM   #43
abij

Quote:
Sounds like you have other reasons to buy the Glo HD. But since Kobo hasn't made the Glo HD for a while, you're buying a used, years old device and possibly paying more for it. Something to consider.
At the moment yes, mainly for glo HD's IR touch screen. I think if I am lucky I can get a refurbished glo HD.

Last edited by abij; 05-03-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: correct cpu info
Old 05-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #44
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
No, it's not a screen defect. It was failure by Kobo to add blackout tape to the sides of the screen.
So you think and assure everyone that they are added? This is not true.

They just improved the release control. AFTER numerous complaints and returns.

Last edited by Semwize; 05-03-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
So you think and assure everyone that they are added? This is not true.

They just improved the release control. AFTER numerous complaints and returns.
I think you are reading too much into my comments dude. I don't work for Kobo and am not assuring anyone of anything. You seem a little combative with me, but maybe I am misreading.