Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #1801
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I couldn't find one among the players (freebies, shareware, etc.) on my computer that would. I'm going to find one, if possible, on CNET downloads or somewhere else. In the meantime, if you find a free one that will play this, please pass along the information to the rest of us.
I haven't tried it, but I know there are "components"/plug-ins for Foobar2000 that will allow it to play DSD.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #1802
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I haven't tried it, but I know there are "components"/plug-ins for Foobar2000 that will allow it to play DSD.
Looks like a winner. Editors' marks very high; users' marks high. The only "con" that I saw (from the editors, I think) is it's "tough for beginners." I'm not particularly a beginner, but I don't like learning curves. That might be a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks for the response--your's has been the best so far! ha
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2017, 10:51 PM   #1803
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Sony's free to download Media Go PC application claims to play DSD files (mine are all FLAC so I have not tested DSD). It plays media files (music, video, photos) resident on the PC and, should one want, on connected devices too. It also manages and sync's libraries of those on the PC and devices if wanted and is very straightforward to use. It does much of the usual other stuff too.

I had never paid it any attention until I changed to Sony phones, following the demise of Nokia, and found the Sony phone music application to be very good so I tried Media Go on PCs too: I have tried most of the common alternatives which I have subsequently dumped.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #1804
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would make sense for the Sony software to do it since Sony and Philips are the ones behind DSD.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #1805
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Sony's free to download Media Go PC application claims to play DSD files (mine are all FLAC so I have not tested DSD). It plays media files (music, video, photos) resident on the PC and, should one want, on connected devices too. It also manages and sync's libraries of those on the PC and devices if wanted and is very straightforward to use. It does much of the usual other stuff too.

I had never paid it any attention until I changed to Sony phones, following the demise of Nokia, and found the Sony phone music application to be very good so I tried Media Go on PCs too: I have tried most of the common alternatives which I have subsequently dumped.
Quote:
Would make sense for the Sony software to do it since Sony and Philips are the ones behind DSD.
Thanks to both of you.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything Sony (hardware) in my whole house, but a mini-stereo system that I bought about 10 years ago (that I hate). I think that everything on it is strictly analog. Oh yeah, I may still have my CD Walkman from the early 90's, but it's probably headed for the trash if I see it around. I got a lot of use out of it, and enjoyed it, during that time.

I suppose that the Media Go PC application is a standalone application? If so, I'll check into it. In fact, I may do that now.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-27-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Advert
Old 05-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #1806
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

I need to listen to this Naum Grubert guy to see if I even like his performance and the Chopin piece that he performs. Finding software that would play the DSD64 format would be a moot point, for now, if I didn't like one or the another or both. Spotify, here I come . . . .
Old 05-27-2017, 11:37 PM   #1807
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I need to listen to this Naum Grubert guy to see if I even like his performance and the Chopin piece that he performs. Finding software that would play the DSD64 format would be a moot point, for now, if I didn't like one or the another or both. Spotify, here I come . . . .
Couldn't find it on Spotify--it's probably too new.

The file that is open-able is a .dff file. Since I can't open it, yet, I couldn't find out which one of the tracks on the album that we get free.

Listened to parts of another Gruber piece or two. Gruber can certainly tickle the ivories well. In one song, he (I think that it was) did some singing. He did an adequate or better job of that. I don't think that Chopin's music ever has much, if any, singing.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-27-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:20 AM   #1808
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...I suppose that the Media Go PC application is a standalone application?...
Yes it is.

Regarding your comments about other hardware - although Sony seem to talk about just Sony devices at http://mediago.sony.com/enu/features/devices my experience is that if you have an Android phone it should manage media on that too if wanted (Apple too, maybe, I wouldn't know ) as I found that it manages stuff on a Samsung tablet just fine.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #1809
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes it is.

Regarding your comments about other hardware - although Sony seem to talk about just Sony devices at http://mediago.sony.com/enu/features/devices my experience is that if you have an Android phone it should manage media on that too if wanted (Apple too, maybe, I wouldn't know ) as I found that it manages stuff on a Samsung tablet just fine.
Thanks for the info.

Let me make sure that I understand you correctly. If I have an Android phone (which I do), it should be able to play the DSD64 .dff files on it?
Old 05-28-2017, 01:44 AM   #1810
AnotherCat

Quote:
...Let me make sure that I understand you correctly. If I have an Android phone (which I do), it should be able to play the DSD64 .dff files on it?
Only if your phone supports DSD natively. Some Sony phones do, I cannot comment on others but suspect not many (e.g. as far as I know even the most recent Samsung S7 and S8 phones do not).

Media Go on the PC will manage the music files on a phone or similar device (i.e. load, organize, phone, get covers, etc.), should you so wish. Media Go itself, on the PC, will play DSD files on the PC.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #1811
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Get one free track from Navis Classics Naum Grubert, piano, Chopin Recital.

This is a DSD64. Not all audio players can play this format, apparently. Yours may not. I couldn't find one among the players (freebies, shareware, etc.) on my computer that would. I'm going to find one, if possible, on CNET downloads or somewhere else. In the meantime, if you find a free one that will play this, please pass along the information to the rest of us.

https://www.nativedsd.com/. Link is near the top of the page on a semi-transparent button on a photo of Naum Grubert (dressed in a suit!) walking through some sand dunes).
Foobar2000
http://www.foobar2000.org/download
Get decodes for Flac, MP3, etc - http://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack
Get component for DSD - http://www.foobar2000.org/components...o_input_dsdiff

Some test tracks to play with:

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

ETA: dbPowerAmp is supposed to have a DSD module for the converter part of the app, but mine is old enough that I don't have it to test. If you go that way, you can convert to FLAC and play with existing media managers, such as Media Monkey.

JRiver is also supposed to have support, but AFAIK, it is a pay-app only

Last edited by koland; 05-28-2017 at 12:22 PM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #1812
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Only if your phone supports DSD natively. Some Sony phones do, I cannot comment on others but suspect not many (e.g. as far as I know even the most recent Samsung S7 and S8 phones do not).

Media Go on the PC will manage the music files on a phone or similar device (i.e. load, organize, phone, get covers, etc.), should you so wish. Media Go itself, on the PC, will play DSD files on the PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Foobar2000
http://www.foobar2000.org/download
Get decodes for Flac, MP3, etc - http://www.foobar2000.org/encoderpack
Get component for DSD - http://www.foobar2000.org/components...o_input_dsdiff

Some test tracks to play with:

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

ETA: dbPowerAmp is supposed to have a DSD module for the converter part of the app, but mine is old enough that I don't have it to test. If you go that way, you can convert to FLAC and play with existing media managers, such as Media Monkey.

JRiver is also supposed to have support, but AFAIK, it is a pay-app only
Thanks to both of you. You've given me a lot of help to work on it (and I need all the help that I can get!).

AnotherCat, I didn't understand that you were talking about only Sony smartphones with Android but, from your message above, that seems to be what you meant. I can't remember ever seeing a Sony smartphone anywhere!
Old 05-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #1813
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I can't remember ever seeing a Sony smartphone anywhere!
https://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/
Old 05-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #1814
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wasn't doubting your word--I just didn't remember seeing any. Most of them have what I think are distinctive designs; but, about 3 of them could pass for most other company's phone.

And, after looking over the selection on the webpage that you link to, I still can't recall seeing one--certainly no one using one that looked like most of those. But, I never really have shopped for a smartphone--I'm sure that I would see lots of them if I did. And it's looking like I may have to shop for one very soon.

Thanks, again.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-28-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #1815
AnotherCat

Quote:
...AnotherCat, I didn't understand that you were talking about only Sony smartphones with Android but, from your message above, that seems to be what you meant. I can't remember ever seeing a Sony smartphone anywhere!
It is quite possible there are phones other than Sony's that play DSD, I have not had occasion to investigate. I just happened to know that Samsung, being the biggest manufacturer of Android phones, seem not to; I also suspect that the ability is not common (and only some Sony phones have the ability to play DSD too).

Sony phones are not common in the USA and my understanding is this is because the large majority of phones there are bought as part of or tied to cellular service providers' plans and Sony has not been able, or maybe not tried hard, to break into that (Nokia used to be the same). I also understand that Sony may be taking an interest in trying.

Another possibility exists if you happen to have a relatively recent smart TV or Blu-ray player that can be put on a network with your PC. Likely the audio could then be taken from the audio output connections of the TV or Blu-ray player to your Hi Fi for listening off that. The set up would normally be quite straightforward.

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere