Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #1696
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdt View Post
Amazon has free rental of National Geographic video LA '92 (no idea how long this will last, maybe today only).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YP7KGW...923520_TE_M1DP

"Marking the 25th anniversary of the Los Angeles riots, LA92 immerses viewers in that tumultuous period through rarely-seen archival footage." (1 hr., 54 min.).
Thanks, I think. That period was difficult to watch the first time, I don't know that I want to watch it again. But, there are probably a lot of MobileReaders now who had not been born then, or were too young to have understood it (well, I don't know that anyone can really understand it) as it happened.

Welcome to posting on MobileRead. I'm sending some get-started karma your way.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-04-2017 at 04:31 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #1697
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Amazon has free rental of National Geographic video LA '92 (no idea how long this will last, maybe today only).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YP7KGW...923520_TE_M1DP

"Marking the 25th anniversary of the Los Angeles riots, LA92 immerses viewers in that tumultuous period through rarely-seen archival footage." (1 hr., 54 min.).
Also a free rental at Google Play and Microsoft...

https://play.google.com/store/movies...id=gZbgHK62nsA

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...NcgZehhAvgzJvg
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #1698
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Despite the fact that Sergei Rachmaninov is a well-known name in classical music, I can't identify him as the composer of any particular well-known classical piece or, at least, am unaware of any of the songs that he composed.

That is one reason that I was excited to find out that YourClassical's free piece for today, Friday (and extending through the rest of the weekend), comes from Rachmaninoff.

This piece is called, Vocalise in E minor.

The piece is heavy on the cello. But the notes are so high that my untrained ears cannot distinguish it from violin music. If there was a little bit more of it in the song than there is, I would consider it annoying.

This is still a relatively gentle piece, as reflected in the fact that this piece comes from a Naxos album called Chill with Rachmaninov.

Get the free MP3 from this webpage.

See you here, again, Monday (unless someone else wishes to post Monday's).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-05-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #1699
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
ClassicSelect is having a big sale. They have those often, I just never remember to post about them.

While there, check out the digital download deals also. "Box Sets" as low as $0.49.

It's not a fancy site by any measure (it's quite bad in terms of navigation, to be honest), but I've gotten some really good deals there. It's mostly Classical, but there are currently some Broadway cast albums on there, and they occasionally have Jazz collections, too.

For those who are interested in payment options, they take the usual credit cards as well as Paypal, Amazon Payments and Apple Pay, and as of my last order, they did not require creating an account to buy.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #1700
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
ClassicSelect is having a big sale. They have those often, I just never remember to post about them.

While there, check out the digital download deals also. "Box Sets" as low as $0.49.

It's not a fancy site by any measure (it's quite bad in terms of navigation, to be honest), but I've gotten some really good deals there. It's mostly Classical, but there are currently some Broadway cast albums on there, and they occasionally have Jazz collections, too.

For those who are interested in payment options, they take the usual credit cards as well as Paypal, Amazon Payments and Apple Pay, and as of my last order, they did not require creating an account to buy.
Thanks. May have a look. I wonder how the quality of their box sets compare with Amazon's 99 cent classical collections that they offer occasionally (apparently occasionally--I saw very few, when I looked just now. Here is one, though (I think that I'm going to buy it, myself, if I don't already have it))?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-05-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #1701
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Thanks. May have a look. I wonder how the quality of their box sets compare with Amazon's 99 cent classical collections that they offer occasionally (apparently occasionally--I saw very few, when I looked just now. Here is one, though (I think that I'm going to buy it, myself, if I don't already have it))?
I think some of the Big Box collections are on both CS and Amazon. I haven't actually purchased any of their digital downloads yet, only CDs.

Where CS really shines is with the collections they sometimes put together. Last summer I bought the Summer Jazz Collection they offered - $25 for a box of fantastic stuff. It included four box sets (including Ella Fitzgerald Sings George Gershwin and a four-cd Jazz Piano set) along with I think 12 other CDs ranging from Coltrane to Ellington to Mel Torme. It was an absolute goldmine for my particular music tastes. I'm hoping they offer something similar again this summer.

They also occasionally have imports that I haven't seen offered elsewhere.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #1702
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Okay, Naxos newsletter subscribers, it's decision time again.

You should have in your email inbox by now the once-a-month free album promotion from Naxos, this one being the choose-one-of-three albums promotion.

You probably remember the procedure. Click on the darkish orange button near the top of the page in your email message that says, "Download One of this Month's Free Albums." That should open a webpage with your options listed near the bottom of the webpage. When you're ready to move on, click on the light aqua blue button that says, "This Month's Free Albums," which is just above the list of albums that you can choose from. Remember: if your email program truncates part of long email messages, make sure that you un-truncate it, to show the entire webpage. Got it?

Every one of these particular Naxos giveaways has a theme. This one is on Queen Victoria (I've been hearing a lot about her lately--we must be near an anniversary concerning her). But, you can read all about that on the webpage. You can also get overviews of all of the free albums. Just below those is an darkish orange button, saying "Click Here to Make and Receive Your Choice," which will direct you to the webpage where you actually make your selection.

Oh, and I don't get to say this much, but these are not MP3's. They are FLAC's. In fact, FLAC is the only format that you can get. Suits me just fine.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-05-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #1703
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I think some of the Big Box collections are on both CS and Amazon. I haven't actually purchased any of their digital downloads yet, only CDs.

Where CS really shines is with the collections they sometimes put together. Last summer I bought the Summer Jazz Collection they offered - $25 for a box of fantastic stuff. It included four box sets (including Ella Fitzgerald Sings George Gershwin and a four-cd Jazz Piano set) along with I think 12 other CDs ranging from Coltrane to Ellington to Mel Torme. It was an absolute goldmine for my particular music tastes. I'm hoping they offer something similar again this summer.

They also occasionally have imports that I haven't seen offered elsewhere.
Yeah, sounds like a higher quality than the ones from Amazon that I'm thinking of (although that Bach set that I linked to looks mighty nice--I've just got to be sure that I don't already own it).

Frankly, these 99 cent albums from Amazon that I'm thinking of (a lot of them, maybe most of them, have bright red covers) are "tired." The collections have the same ole predictable songs, and the different sets often repeat songs that are on other sets.

Thanks for letting us know about "your" sale.

BTW--I appreciate you posting these bargains that I find. Frankly, I run across so many freebies that I don't feel like I have the time to post music bargains, not matter how good they are. A good problem to have.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-05-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #1704
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, sounds like a higher quality than the ones from Amazon that I'm thinking of (although that Bach set that I linked to looks mighty nice--I've just got to be sure that I don't already own it).

Frankly, these 99 cent albums from Amazon that I'm thinking of (a lot of them, maybe most of them, have bright red covers) are "tired." The collections have the same ole predictable songs, and the different sets often repeat songs that are on other sets.

Thanks for letting us know about "your" sale.
Okay, a couple of corrections:
1. Only some of the albums now appear to have bright red covers.
2. There are some more 99 cent albums than what I found. Six of them showed up as "Recommended for you:" items when I went to visit one of the 99 cent albums that I had purchased. I presently do not know where to find all of Amazon's 99 cent album choices.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #1705
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, Naxos newsletter subscribers, it's decision time again.

You should have in your email inbox by now the once-a-month free album promotion from Naxos, this one being the choose-one-of-three albums promotion.
<snip>
Oh, and I don't get to say this much, but these are not MP3's. They are FLAC's. In fact, FLAC is the only format that you can get. Suits me just fine.
CORRECTION: As I was perusing the choices to see which one that I would like to download, I noticed that the MP3 format is available for each album, along with the FLAC. I am almost positive that these giveaways used to be always and only be in FLAC. It seems like that Naxos made the change a month or two back. Now I'm curious what brought about the change . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 05-06-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #1706
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Domo is offering, free. track #3 from its album Sunrise: Songs to Start Your Day.

The name of this song is Tempest. A musician named Dave Eggar performs. It is not classical music; tags for the song include: New Age, Healing, and Relaxation.

It is formatted in MP3.

I listened to the entire song. It is pleasant. With it being free, it's a definite keeper.

A company named PayLoadz apparently handles the downloading end of Domo's business. I've used them before; they are on the up and up. To get your freebie, navigate to this PayLoadz webpage. You should see the album cover (or, at least, most of it) for Sunrise at the bottom of your first screen, right in the middle. Click on it. Follow the prompts.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #1707
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YP7KGW/ref=pe_385040_117923520_TE_M1DP

Thank you for posting this, and thanks to other MobileReaders for posting the film's other outlets. FYI, depending upon whether one is renting the film at Amazon, Google, or Microsoft, one is given 14-30 days to begin watching it, and once having started one must complete the viewing within 24-48 hours. However, there's an additional, more flexible option: one can also watch it free of charge, sans the above-mentioned temporal restrictions, at NatGeo's official YouTube channel, at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaotkHlHJwo

Last edited by Froide; 05-06-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #1708
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Thank you for posting this, and thanks to other MobileReaders for posting the film's other outlets. FYI, depending upon whether one is renting the film at Amazon, Google, or Microsoft, one is given 14-30 days to begin watching it, and once having started one must complete the viewing within 24-48 hours. However, there's an additional, more flexible option: one can also watch it free of charge, sans the above-mentioned temporal restrictions, at NatGeo's official YouTube channel, at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaotkHlHJwo
I didn't know that NatGeo has a YouTube channel (I should have known--"everyone" has a YouTube video or channel). That little tidbit of information, by itself, is good to know.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #1709
keithdt
Connoisseur
keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.keithdt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
[QUOTE=Froide;3517056]Thank you for posting this, and thanks to other MobileReaders for posting the film's other outlets. FYI, depending upon whether one is renting the film at Amazon, Google, or Microsoft, one is given 14-30 days to begin watching it, and once having started one must complete the viewing within 24-48 hours. However, there's an additional, more flexible option: one can also watch it free of charge, sans the above-mentioned temporal restrictions, at NatGeo's official YouTube channel, at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaotkHlHJwo[/QUOTEAs

As another option, this video is now available on Vudu, not as a rental but as free to own.
http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/864270/LA-92
keithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #1710
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

A Heads Up Regarding the Current Naxos Promotion, and a Question.

FYI--the last album of the three choices in Naxos current promotion is instrumental and vocal, "sacred" music. That may be to your liking or disliking, but I felt that it would be nice to give people a "heads up" about it.

A question: does anyone know of an easy way to get the samples to automatically progress in the Naxos albums in this promotion (or anytime that it doesn't happen automatically). As it is, I either have to sit and wait for each sample to play, and then manually click on the next track in order to listen to it, or go from one tab back to the Naxos tab every few seconds. I know that what I have in mind can be done, because I've used websites which do that. However that feature may involve the coding, which none of us probably can do anything about, or just can't be done for some other reason. But it sure would be nice.

Tags
disney movies anywhere, dma, movies anywhere, moviesanywhere