Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
forma usb connector?

What is this socket on the side of the Forma? It is a bit wider on one side so I thought it should work with the older USB cord I've been using, Micro-B, which it sort of does but the connection is unstable and Windows makes the disconnect and connect sounds several times while it's connected.

Then I looked at the USB cable that came with the Forma and it's not wider on one side, and it looks like the newer USB. But I have a newer USB-C cable and that connector on it is wider than the Kobo's.

The Kobo's cable gives me a solid connection so I'll stick with it. I hope I haven't damaged the socket by using that other cable.

Here's a picture of different USB connectors. The Forma ereader's connector is Micro-B, the second one. But the cable looks like it's Micro-USB AB, the first one.

Here's also the wikipedia article, scroll down to the "Receptacle (socket) identification" table. It looks like the Forma's cable is Micro-A but it's rounded, not rectangular like in their picture.

I'm confused.

Click image for larger version

Name:	USB-Connectors.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	171393

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
The connection slot on my Forma is the same as on my Glo HD, and I can use the same (Kobo) cable to charge/connect both. So whatever connector type it is, it hasn't changed for the Forma. Looking at your photo, I'd say it is a Micro-B. I know with my phone some third-party cables don't provide good connection; that's probably the case with your older USB cable and the Forma.
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, the connector on the e-reader is Micro-B. But what's confusing to me is that the provided cable is not Micro-B.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Yes, the connector on the e-reader is Micro-B. But what's confusing to me is that the provided cable is not Micro-B.
I'm not at home so can't check but is it a reversible micro USB connector? Check the attached image. Basically, you can plug it in either way and it will work. Kinda like USB-C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reversible_microusb_connector.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	171396  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard

DNSB, yes, I think that's it. I've never heard of it.

USB standards are like a hydra.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
DNSB, yes, I think that's it. I've never heard of it.

USB standards are like a hydra.
The reversible connector is not actually a standard. I have a couple of the micro USB to USB A cables with both ends reversible. Check the rather thin piece of plastic in the USB A connector in the image.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
rosalita
Connoisseur
rosalita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Ah, I misunderstood your question — sorry about that! I'm glad someone else had a better answer than I did. I have actually still been using the cable that came with my GloHD to charge both the Glo and Forma, so the cable that came with the Forma is still in the box. Maybe I should dig it out and start using it if it's reversible (and assuming it is backwards-compatible to the Glo, which I can't imagine it not being).
rosalita is offline   Reply With Quote