Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #46
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
ZodWallop,
the most important thing is that the defect has disappeared, and the reason is not so important, is it?

My Clara had this defect, alas.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@abij: No eReader ever used the i.MX6S (for a very simple reason: it doesn't have an EPD), they all went with the i.MX6SL and then the i.MX6SLL, and both of them have a 256KB L2 cache.

TL;DR: Don't worry about that, newer is always going to be better.

The most relevant feature you'll get with the i.MX6SLL is the newer EPDC, with hardware dithering support .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-04-2019 at 01:20 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
ZodWallop,
the most important thing is that the defect has disappeared, and the reason is not so important, is it?

My Clara had this defect, alas.
If your Clara has the defect then yes, the reason is important. A screen defect wouldn't be as easily fixed as adding missing light blocking tape to the sides of the screen.

Depending on how long you've had the Clara, you could try exchanging it. If that is no longer possible, you could try the fix I linked to.

I was worried about getting a defective one myself, which is why I ordered from a local seller. As soon as I opened mine and got it up and running, I checked to see if the issue was there. It wasn't. But if it was there I would have exchanged it immediately.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #49
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I just fixed it, didn't want to worry with a return and exchange. But of course I'm displeased
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #50
abij
abij began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
@NiLuJe, Thanks for sharing the links to the documentation page of those CPU's, I mistook imx6sl for solo and imx6sll for sololite. By the way what does the second L mean in imx6sll?

I edited my previous post regarding the CPU lest someone in the future take my wrong words about CPU's.

Last edited by abij; 05-03-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: grammar
abij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
I just fixed it, didn't want to worry with a return and exchange. But of course I'm displeased
I don't blame you. I put off buying the Clara because of the reports of light bleed.

Then even after everyone here saying it no longer appeared to be a problem, I ordered from a local vendor even though ordering from Canada would have been cheaper because of conversion rate. Even when I ordered I was worried that Kobo would let me down

Maybe that is why I'm now trying to reassure people that Kobo does appear to have fixed the problem.

I will say, seeing how easy it was to fix, it never should have been a problem in the first place. Kobo should have caught that.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #52
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo Clare HD IS Now On Sale!! $99.99 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kobo-Clar...bled/848940265 .... also $110 at Kobo: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...pril_device_US

Last edited by Barbara1955; 05-03-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #53
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I saw something weird on my Kobo the first few days I was using it, but I haven't noticed it recently, so maybe it went away. My Kobo is usually only running at 10-15% brightness with natural light running anyway, so it may not be noticeable unless I've got everything at the max.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:59 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAsshat View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I saw something weird on my Kobo the first few days I was using it, but I haven't noticed it recently, so maybe it went away. My Kobo is usually only running at 10-15% brightness with natural light running anyway, so it may not be noticeable unless I've got everything at the max.
I think the cones are more noticeable when the frontlight is lower, not higher. I keep the frontlight on all my readers set at somewhere around 25% at all times. When I'm reading in a completely darkened room, that's when the cones are noticeable.

All e-ink readers light their screen with a row of LEDs on one edge of the screen. The cones are always on the edge of the screen with the LEDs. They come from the gaps between the LEDs. I've never seen an ereader that didn't have some version of those cones. But again, you mainly see it when the frontlight is low and the room is very dark.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-04-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #55
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by abij View Post
@ZodWallop by any chance, do you know if glo HD suffers the same sort of light leaking? Thanks.
I've owned the Glo HD for a number of years, and I've never seen that problem on my unit.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Unlike the Clara, the Glo HD used an IR grid, so, whole different design (and a whole different set of constraints as far as bezel alignment/fitting is. A shoddy input response is probably much easier to quickly catch in QA than lighting issues (... at least for what passes as QA for Kobo...)).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote