Your strategy worked well for me too!

Thanks!
Quest4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #407
HRR
Enthusiast
HRR began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iPad Pro
Thanks for that. My finding was slightly different. Seeing these recent posts, I checked and found that everything is installed in C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Amazon so the 1.23 update added a new renderer-test.exe right there with my existing renderer-test.xxx. I wasn’t sure if I should just delete the new .exe file, so I changed it to .xxx, and since it is in same folder as .xxx, I now have a renderer-test.xxx and a renderer-test (2).xxx. I would think I could just delete one of them, but have not. Anyone?
HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #408
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRR View Post
...I now have a renderer-test.xxx and a renderer-test (2).xxx. I would think I could just delete one of them, but have not. Anyone?
The reason for renaming renderer-test.exe, instead of just deleting it, is to allow the possibility to rename it back if you decide to re-enable support for KFX format.

When a new version of Kindle for PC is installed it leaves behind the .xxx file from the previously installed version. There is no need to keep that file.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #409
Maxine2
Maxine2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2
Thank you so much. You are the best.
The plugin worked without me having to use any outdated versions.
Now..... If only I can get the DeDRM plugin back.....
Maxine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:25 AM   #410
MeboMechanicNo1
MeboMechanicNo1 began at the beginning.

Device: Various
Thank you

Very many thanks for this
MeboMechanicNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #411
raisealaff
raisealaff began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Many thanks

Thank you very much for this solution. Very much appreciated.
raisealaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:40 AM   #412
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle for Mac is now at 1.23.2. I'm still using 1.14.12 (2012) and am thinking of updating.

Does rename trick still work as with 1.23.1?

Would it be better to hunt down 1.17?

Last edited by tomsem; 06-07-2018 at 04:03 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #413
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle for Mac is now at 1.23.2. I'm still using 1.14.12 (2012) and am thinking of updating.
Version 1.14 is still supported. I don't see any advantage in updating if you plan to disable KFX anyway.

Quote:
No one has reported problems with the rename/chmod trick for disabling KFX so far.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #414
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Quote:

It does on Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #415
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Version 1.14 is still supported. I don't see any advantage in updating if you plan to disable KFX anyway.
I installed on another Mac to have a look. App Store description says version is 1.23.2, but what is installed is actually 1.23.3. The Mac I run calibre on is about ten years old and running 10.11, when Amazon gets around to porting to 64-bit, I can imagine it will get left behind. So that is another reason I am looking at updating now.

I’ve only ever used Kindle app to get things into calibre, and never paid much attention to the file extensions it uses, but they are all ‘.azw’ in this version. I take it these are ‘KFX’, though I don’t know how y’all have made that determination. Yes, I see hyphenation and left-justification but there are any number of ways to implement that without having it relate to a file format.

I also almost never read books on my MacBook, but if I were ever do so, I’d want to use the latest version, it has a little more polish to it than 1.14 (I should hope so).

It seems easy enough to move/rename render-text when I want to import things to calibre. Could automate it with a script (calibre has a CLI right?).
Old 06-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #416
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I’ve only ever used Kindle app to get things into calibre, and never paid much attention to the file extensions it uses, but they are all ‘.azw’ in this version. I take it these are ‘KFX’, though I don’t know how y’all have made that determination.
You can determine whether or not a book is in KFX format in Kindle for PC/Mac by examining files in the content folder. Each book will be in a separate subfolder named by the ASIN of the book. Books in KFX format will have a DRM voucher file named something like "amzn1.drm-voucher.v1.f693cd65-a272-454d-967a-5c2073b6e605.voucher" in their folder.

Quote:
It seems easy enough to move/rename render-text when I want to import things to calibre. Could automate it with a script (calibre has a CLI right?).
It takes a few steps to turn KFX support on or off. Basically you need to exit the Kindle for PC/Mac program, enable/disable render-test (using rename on PC or chmod on Mac), restart the program, delete any books you want to switch formats on, and then re-download those books.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #417
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You can determine whether or not a book is in KFX format in Kindle for PC/Mac by examining files in the content folder. Each book will be in a separate subfolder named by the ASIN of the book. Books in KFX format will have a DRM voucher file named something like "amzn1.drm-voucher.v1.f693cd65-a272-454d-967a-5c2073b6e605.voucher" in their folder.

It takes a few steps to turn KFX support on or off. Basically you need to exit the Kindle for PC/Mac program, enable/disable render-test (using rename on PC or chmod on Mac), restart the program, delete any books you want to switch formats on, and then re-download those books.
Thanks, I do see the voucher files, and the steps are exactly what I’d expect.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #418
Mr Wolf
Mr Wolf began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Hi, I've updated to Kindle 1.23.50133 (Windows) and had the same problem: couldn't open books (I downloaded some books with Prime Reading) with Calibre anymore.
I uninstalled everything (books included) and re-installed Kindle 1.17.1.44183 (luckly I had a copy), downloaded books again and this time they could all be opened with Calibre.
Mr Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #419
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
The DeDRM tools are intended for books you own, not borrowed ones. The script for KFX files blocks Prime and other borrowed/rented Kindle books.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #420
rbruce1314
Groupie
rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rbruce1314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xgody tablet, LG G3 (Android), moon+reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
The DeDRM tools are intended for books you own, not borrowed ones. The script for KFX files blocks Prime and other borrowed/rented Kindle books.
Or not . . . . .
rbruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc