Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #61
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Will someone tell me what an LTE connection gives over 3G?
The more important question to ask might be what it takes away.

Though I've had a 4G phone since September of 2010, the truth is I rarely use 4G because it eats up battery life. The faster connection's good to have when you're in the wild and a download or update is crawling along, but otherwise, I'd prefer to conserve power for emergencies.

Case in point: The blackout that plagued New York for the past several days, during which my only alarm clock in the darkness was my phone. My sole chance to charge came once every day or two.

Question: How does using LTE impact on battery life?

If the increase in battery use from 3G to LTE is significant, then there's almost no reason to use the latter unless you're at a charging station (in which case you probably have wifi anyway).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-03-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #62
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
You have LTE then,i forgot about LTE battery draining problem.more food for thought.We dont call it LTE here in the UK ,better known as 4G

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_%28...mmunication%29

In Australia, Telstra launched the country's first 4G network (LTE) in September 2011 claiming "2–40 Mbps"

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-03-2012 at 09:32 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #63
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
People who own the Galaxy S III, Photon Q or Evo LTE stateside (or the iPhone 5 anywhere) can speak to LTE's effect on battery life.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #64
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
People who own the Galaxy S III, Photon Q or Evo LTE stateside (or the iPhone 5 anywhere) can speak to LTE's effect on battery life.
Does it cost more than your previous 3G service ? it's high priced here in the UK and only covers 10 cities poorly ,and if u go out of those cities you say goodbye to LTE/ 4G.

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-03-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #65
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I get 8 hours of battery life using LTE on my iPhone 5. The price of 4G service is identical to what I was paying for 3G and coverage, while not identical, blankets almost my entire city of 1.5 million. The speeds are tremendous; much faster than even my home Internet.

3G (HSPA+): 5 Mbit down
Home Wi-Fi: 8-10 Mbit down
4G/LTE: 20-25 Mbit down

For comparison's sake, a friend who owns the original HTC Evo 4G (released 2010), gets about 3 to 4 hours of use per day. He keeps it constantly plugged in at his desk. EDIT: After some reading, it seems the Evo 4G doesn't even have a 4G antenna. Huh. Just a marketing term, I guess.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #66
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
For comparison's sake, a friend who owns the original HTC Evo 4G (released 2010), gets about 3 to 4 hours of 4G use per day. He keeps it constantly plugged in at his desk.
4G LTE chipsets are undergoing the same power consumption refinements that all previous generation radio modem chipsets have had to go through. 3G UMTS was once just as bad as 4G LTE was earlier this year. Back around 2004 I remember a Vodaphone manager complaining about how hot the UMTS network test phones got in operation. Since iPhone 5 uses Qualcomm's latest radio baseband modem, it gets the benefit of the current lowest power consumption radio chipset for LTE compared to the 3 year old phone in your comparison.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #67
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
4G LTE chipsets are undergoing the same power consumption refinements that all previous generation radio modem chipsets have had to go through. 3G UMTS was once just as bad as 4G LTE was earlier this year. Back around 2004 I remember a Vodaphone manager complaining about how hot the UMTS network test phones got in operation. Since iPhone 5 uses Qualcomm's latest radio baseband modem, it gets the benefit of the current lowest power consumption radio chipset for LTE compared to the 3 year old phone in your comparison.
Undoubtedly true. If Apple waited until this September to release a 4G phone, it was likely because they could not achieve acceptable battery life with it before then.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #68
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
IMHO, I find the 3G extensions HSDPA or HSDPA+ to be plenty fast enough for a phone.
Agreed. Even movie streaming is OK on HSDPA+. LTE is nice to have, but it is still several months if not years before it will be widely available in most countries so, for those who don't need it, or can't access it, the Nexus 4 is a no-brainer. I got an S3 only 4 months ago, otherwise I'd be getting this one.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #69
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
To summarise:
If your favourite company offers a phone with LTE, it is amazing and you wouldn't consider a phone without one.
If they don't, it isn't a big deal, and there is no real need for it.
See also: NFC, removable batteries, SD storage, high res displays, widgets.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #70
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Agreed. Even movie streaming is OK on HSDPA+. LTE is nice to have, but it is still several months if not years before it will be widely available in most countries so, for those who don't need it, or can't access it, the Nexus 4 is a no-brainer. I got an S3 only 4 months ago, otherwise I'd be getting this one.
Thanks to all you super duper phone guys for the heads up.
It seems to me that maybe they should give out two numbers with the phones for each "service."

3G (number of bytes/sec) (battery hours of use at 3G)
4G/LTE (number of bytes/sec) (battery hours of use at 4G/LTE)

I saw Verizon running RVs out into the big city areas in the NE to provide charging stations for cell phones.
The military is delivering gasoline.

My buddy called me and said "I'm ok. I got a 1200 watt inverter and an auto jump box." I told him he would have to run his car to provide power for that baby pretty quick, so he better have a supply of gasoline also.

Heck, 1200 watts would run an electric space heater.

Last edited by SeaKing; 11-03-2012 at 06:16 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #71
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Thanks to all you super duper phone guys for the heads up.
It seems to me that maybe they should give out two numbers with the phones for each "service."

3G (number of bytes/sec) (battery hours of use at 3G)
4G/LTE (number of bytes/sec) (battery hours of use at 4G/LTE)

I saw Verizon running RVs out into the big city areas in the NE to provide charging stations for cell phones.
The military is delivering gasoline.

My buddy called me and said "I'm ok. I got a 1200 watt inverter and an auto jump box." I told him he would have to run his car to provide power for that baby pretty quick, so he better have a supply of gasoline also.

Heck, 1200 watts would run an electric space heater.
They can only give you the theoretical maximum the phone can achieve, which for HSDPA+ is usually 42Mb/s. LTE is supposed to exceed 100MB/s (you can't call it LTE if it does not provide 100Mb/s or more - but everybody uses the term loosely), but as far as I know there are no phones that can reach that, I believe current phones max out at about 75Mb/s. But these figures are "theoretical" maximums, you can achieve this in a lab in controlled situations, but there are so many variables affecting the signal (interference from other phones, bouncing off buildings, tress, cars, ...), and not least network saturation, that you can never get close to that maximum.

To muddle the waters even more, HSDPA+ (3G, or 3.5G as some call it) is not 4G, but it's been called 4G in many countries as a marketing ploy.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #72
holymadness
Guru

Anandtech's benchmark preview is in. Battery life is confirmed to be terrible. CPU performance is likewise unimpressive, while GPU performance seems to be mid-range. The screen seems to be fairly good. More info at the link.

Last edited by holymadness; 11-03-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #73
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I would be interested to have 2 other numbers in the Anandtech's benchmark table.

1. actual device power consumption (not hours)
2. size of battery on device (volume and weight)

The reason is that I have long thought that the effort to produce thinner and thinner devices was playing hell with battery life.

So the question is whether Apple5 has that much more efficient electronics or does it have relatively "more" battery than the other devices.

That aside, Apple5 looks to be pretty impressive in those battery longevity numbers.

When you fly or power boat you find that your speed affects fuel consumption quite a lot. You don't really notice it so much in a car, until you start going really fast and besides it is a lot easier to gas up.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #74
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Anandtech's benchmark preview is in. Battery life is confirmed to be terrible. CPU performance is likewise unimpressive, while GPU performance seems to be mid-range. The screen seems to be fairly good. More info at the link.

The iphone 5 appears twice in the web browsing battery stats --- and the LTE version has double the battery life of the non-LTE type? Looks like there is a problem with these charts.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-04-2012 at 02:37 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #75
darksaber35
Banned

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/nexus-4-review/

''our anecdotal tests -- in which we do a moderate amount of email, social media, messaging, web surfing and take a few pictures and make some phone calls -- almost got us a full day of use, but your overall result will definitely depend on how bright you set that display. ''

This is a smartphone that we'd normally expect to be much more expensive unlocked, but Google set a precedent by lowering the cost of the Galaxy Nexus, keeping the Nexus 7 at $200 and is now continuing the trend with the Nexus 4. The price of freedom has never been more reasonable.

''The idea that a Nexus quad-core smartphone is hitting the market with a starting price one dollar shy of $300 is simply stunning. Even more so is that it's available without any contract or carrier locks, which means you can use it virtually anywhere in the world. ''

''Adding yet another layer of amazement is the fact that this particular device will always be among the first (if not the first) to get the latest version of Android for the foreseeable future. What once was a smartphone series designed for developers has been decked out with top-notch features and priced so attractively that consumers will take notice of it; there's nothing comparable that comes close to it in that price range.''

''It'll be on sale in the UK, US, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia to start off with, but because it's penta-band, you'll easily be able to stick in a micro-SIM card from virtually any GSM carrier in the world and roam at your leisure.''

''Sure, the Nexus 4 is not without its hiccups, but none of its predecessors have been perfect, either. And given the boost in real-world performance, the better camera and various other new features, it's even more tempting than all those previous devices whose shoes it's trying to fill. In a case like this... you have our permission not to resist.''

Last edited by darksaber35; 11-04-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Tags
nexus 4