Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
jtpryan
jtpryan began at the beginning.

Device: color nook
Rooted: Market: Where do apps go?

Well, I took the leap and rooted using 3.0 on my 1.1 CN.

All is working great! I love this. But, I install things from the market and they don't show up in my extras. How come? Where do they go?

-Jim
jtpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You need to reboot in order to see them in Extras.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You need to reboot in order to see them in Extras.
The other option is to kill the launcher via adb, which does not require reboot.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The other option is to kill the launcher via adb, which does not require reboot.
You should spell this out for people who have no idea what you're talking about, but may be interested in learning.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpryan View Post
Well, I took the leap and rooted using 3.0 on my 1.1 CN.

All is working great! I love this. But, I install things from the market and they don't show up in my extras. How come? Where do they go?

-Jim
Another option is to install 2 apps available in the Market: home switcher and Zeam (or another home screen / launcher program). The alternative home screens update immediately when you install a new app.

One other thing to consider: once you have set your NC up the way you like it, you may find yourself downloading apps much less; and so the "reboot to refresh" or "kill home screen to refresh" may not be much of an issue.

However, I use Zeam as my default home screen/launcher. I like a clean home screen - I only have a few icons on the bottom bar, and a clock on my main screen. I keep shortcuts on the other home screens (not the default). On the rare occasions I need the actual B&N home screen / launcher, I run the app "home switcher" and select Home.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You should spell this out for people who have no idea what you're talking about, but may be interested in learning.
Sure:

Code:
adb shell ps | grep applauncher | awk '{print $2}' | xargs adb shell kill
This is for Linux. For those using Windows, well, good luck to y'all :-)

Windows:
1.- adb shell ps
2.- look at the list of processes and write down the PID for the applauncher
3.- adb shell kill <PID>
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
You can also use an app like System Panel (the free version will work fine for this).

The app will open to a screen listing "running" (remember - in android 'running' does not necessarily mean it is consuming cpu) and "inactive" apps. Look for AppLauncher (it may be in either list depending on when you last launched 'Extras', but should be up at the top of either list since default is alphabetical sort). Tap it. Then tap 'End Task'.

That's it.

Almost any app that will let you list and kill running tasks will work. System Panel is a good choice since it intentionally does not include an auto-killer and is a good solid program.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Sure:

Code:
adb shell ps | grep applauncher | awk '{print $2}' | xargs adb shell kill
This is for Linux. For those using Windows, well, good luck to y'all :-)

Windows:
1.- adb shell ps
2.- look at the list of processes and write down the PID for the applauncher
3.- adb shell kill <PID>
Ok, you're clearly just showing off now.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote