Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #4786
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
i saw some collections of classics. some well over 10,000 pages each and bought a few for like 49 cents each
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #4787
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
i saw some collections of classics. some well over 10,000 pages each and bought a few for like 49 cents each
Did you cross check with Gutenberg.org? Most classics are free there.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #4788
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not like Gutenberg
Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #4789
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think it's a false economy to buy large collections of classics, even if you don't want to get them for free from gutenberg (or here). They'll still be there when you actually want to read them, and they'll never be that expensive. Buy them when you're about to start reading them.

I ended up deleting several free classics I'd had hanging around for ages.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #4790
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I think it's a false economy to buy large collections of classics, even if you don't want to get them for free from gutenberg (or here). They'll still be there when you actually want to read them, and they'll never be that expensive. Buy them when you're about to start reading them.

I ended up deleting several free classics I'd had hanging around for ages.
I agree on all counts. Those large collections are unwieldy, also, and can be difficult to navigate and if you spend time splitting them, well, that's time that could have been spent doing something more productive. A lot of the classics packages have been compiled from Gutenberg anyway without any added value.

Obviously the outlay here is insignificant but it feeds the acquisition and hoarding mentality, when the point is to become thoughtful about purchases. This comes across more as bragging to me and not about trying to resist temptation and only making considered purchases as the ideal, anyway, even if there's the occasional slip.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #4791
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm currently reading Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding by David Tolin et.al. and find a lot of the stuff applies to electronic purchases as well as physical ones. While it IS true that sometimes something might not be there in the future (geographical restrictions or publisher removes from sale) will it really bother you later on when you have so much else to read and enjoy? In most cases, no. Obviously, it depends on your interests. So, by sticking with a regularly pruned wishlist, you can help yourself control impulse buying.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #4792
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm doing everything right, but I'm still not getting through my TBR.

Seven books read so far this month, but also seven bought.

Three were a trilogy by an author I like that were on special offer (£0.99 each). I read them straight away, and enjoyed them
Two were next books in series that I like, one a pre-order at around half the normal price (£2.79 instead of £5.22), and the other a special offer (£2.00 down from £3.06). I'm reading one of them now.
Two were magazine issues. I've been getting these magazines for more than 10 years, and I enjoy them.

So no 'it's on offer, I might like it', no 'it looks interesting, and it's free'.

Perhaps I just need to spend more time reading...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #4793
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm doing everything right, but I'm still not getting through my TBR.

Seven books read so far this month, but also seven bought.

Three were a trilogy by an author I like that were on special offer (£0.99 each). I read them straight away, and enjoyed them
Two were next books in series that I like, one a pre-order at around half the normal price (£2.79 instead of £5.22), and the other a special offer (£2.00 down from £3.06). I'm reading one of them now.
Two were magazine issues. I've been getting these magazines for more than 10 years, and I enjoy them.

So no 'it's on offer, I might like it', no 'it looks interesting, and it's free'.

Perhaps I just need to spend more time reading...
Well, you commute differently now!! Asimov is now a double-issue, so you should be able to get an extra book in next month.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #4794
HLS
Wizard

I just picked up 31 free public domain books for no reason other to have it lol I need help lol
Old 10-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #4795
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I just picked up 31 free public domain books for no reason other to have it lol I need help lol
Are you making any effort at all to acquire fewer books? Are you seriously trying to become more thoughtful about the books you get? If not, why are you posting here?

In the unlikely event you're really looking for help, delete the public domain books as DrNefario suggested. They'll be available if ever you feel like reading them.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:28 AM   #4796
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A delete the public domain books as DrNefario suggested. They'll be available if ever you feel like reading them.
Yes, and when you actually want to read them, you'll probably download a new version anyway, to get a version with fewer errors.

I'm probably going to have a clear-out myself before the end of the year, only keeping ones I've read.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #4797
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
One of my end of year resolutions is to start going through my collection of free acquisitions and treat them like samples. Maybe spend a month reading nothing else. I tend to delete the majority of samples without buying.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #4798
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
One of my end of year resolutions is to start going through my collection of free acquisitions and treat them like samples. Maybe spend a month reading nothing else. I tend to delete the majority of samples without buying.
Whatever works for you, but. . . . It sounds like sheer torture to me. Couldn't you read your good stuff and "sample" your freebies over time, if you feel you must? Wasting a month of good reading time reading junk seems the total opposite of frugality to me.

I tend to think that, especially the larger one's freebie collection, it's most time and cost-effective to abandon the lot and start fresh, being very, very picky about adding freebies (i.e., books you'd have been willing to spend at least some money on). But if you can't bear a wholesale deletion, chipping away at it over time seems the best strategy to me, especially as you learn your lesson about the "value" of freebies in the process.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #4799
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes, and when you actually want to read them, you'll probably download a new version anyway, to get a version with fewer errors.
That's when I use Sigil for to make the books more readable by modifying the formatting and cleaning up egregious errors. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

Quote:
I'm probably going to have a clear-out myself before the end of the year, only keeping ones I've read.
I keep meaning to go through and clean out the books that I've read and will never read again. Not just the ones that to quote Dorothy Parker/Sid Ziff/etc.: “It is not a book to be lightly thrown aside. It should be thrown with great force.” but all those books that, IMO, do not offer anything to be gained by re-reading.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #4800
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I keep meaning to go through and clean out the books that I've read and will never read again.
I prefer to keep even those. Just to make sure I don't accidentally buy them again!