Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #31
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Keep improving Onyx, and when you achieve to add a light in the Note you will have my money (and many others), because the Note with light would be the 10" eReader of my dreams
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #32
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Keep improving Onyx, and when you achieve to add a light in the Note you will have my money (and many others), because the Note with light would be the 10" eReader of my dreams
Although there are still a few issues to be worked out with the Note, overall I'm quite pleased with mine. However, I do wish that it had a light.

I recently started reading on my Kobo Aura One again because I'm currently reading a Japanese book and the KA1 is much better at handling Japanese. The built in frontlight on the KA1 only adds to the reading experience. I had almost forgotten what a pleasure it is to read with a frontlight.

Adding a frontlight to the Note would certainly push it closer to being the ideal ereader.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #33
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Besides the requisite sdcard and buttons, ereaders could benefit from the convenience of a SIM card slot. In order to download a book without smartphone location / battery concerns.

Even kindles have restricted cellular connectivity, and for a significantly increased cost.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:13 AM   #34
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Besides the requisite sdcard and buttons, ereaders could benefit from the convenience of a SIM card slot. In order to download a book without smartphone location / battery concerns.

Even kindles have restricted cellular connectivity, and for a significantly increased cost.
Sorry - what would be the cost to have a number of SIM cards with active subscriptions?

And I have serious concerns with encouraging the proliferation of mobile cell infrastructure.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #35
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Sorry - what would be the cost to have a number of SIM cards with active subscriptions?
To answer your question, if the purpose is to download ebooks (as with the kindle) there are one off, long lasting data sims: 24gb card which lasts for 24 months currently costs £50 on the UK amazon site. So £25 extra a year. Or perhaps £5 monthly might suffice.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 09-25-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #36
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Sim card in an eReader for me is a really annoying thing. Which is the complicated part of connecting to a Wifi net? I really dont see the point, and also losing time, resources and phisical space for the companies to add this it is contraproducent
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #37
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
To answer your question, if the purpose is to download ebooks (as with the kindle) there are one off, long lasting data sims: 24gb card which lasts for 24 months currently costs £50 on the UK amazon site. So £25 extra a year. Or perhaps £5 monthly might suffice.
Interesting offers. I have not seen anything similar in my region. Or, "/But/ I have not seen anything similar in my region". Probably such bundles will be one day available everywhere, and since the EU has passed laws for progressive data roaming cost reduction, a direction towards cheap cellular data exchange is clear... But it does not look a widespread bargain from here.

By the way,
> battery concerns
go professional an throw some 10'000 mAh of replaceable battery in your phone, I have not had battery capacity issues since... well... ever. (The issue nowadays is finding a phone. I had to buy a backup device identical to mine, just in case, in the wait for some fitting device to be put in the market after 2014).
Edit: since you appear to be a Briton - and I happen to be a britanofilist - you will recognize the expression «Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable...
Spoiler:
If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it.
»

Last edited by mdp; 09-25-2018 at 08:41 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #38
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Glass on the front - as in almost all of the recent "telephones" I have seen - conflicts with reading purposes.
This is true. The assumption that a glass front eink screen has similiar reflexive properties as a phone is not correct, though. Worst case would be total reflection of the primary light source. While a phone screen when turned off is a perfect mirror, a glass eink is not. See attached picture of an iPhone and my Oasis 2. On the phone the shape of the reflector is clearly visible, on the Oasis it is not. While reading you would not go out of your way to angle the screen to total reflect the sun. Both pictures have light off on the Oasis. Pictures are inside with artificial over head lights, not sun.

I don't see how a Max2 is much different when it comes to worst case as seen in these pictures in this post (ignore the words, just look at glare).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180927_230400.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	166529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180927_230638.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	166530  
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:14 AM   #39
lepau
Connoisseur
lepau doesn't litterlepau doesn't litter

Device: M92
does Boox have a serious 10" device in the pipeline?
(an ebook reader without sd card is just ridiculous for me)
lepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #40
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
> battery concerns
go professional an throw some 10'000 mAh of replaceable battery in your phone, I have not had battery capacity issues since... well... ever. (The issue nowadays is finding a phone. I had to buy a backup device identical to mine, just in case, in the wait for some fitting device to be put in the market after 2014).
Edit: since you appear to be a Briton - and I happen to be a britanofilist - you will recognize the expression «Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable...
Spoiler:
If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it.
»
That's interesting about the law passed.

Battery wise, I will be limited by my yotaphone 3+ or perhaps hisense a6--which, to recall earlier mentions, has a 3.5mm input (no sdcard again but large internal sd...)

I favour independent devices, in particular, I would rather not think about the phone, or its battery status, I'm happy for it to run out of battery as long as my ereader works (or visa versa, since eink phone). The large battery phones are news to me, being non-reliant for power is useful, and welcome (if you make a lot of mobile calls).
Old 09-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #41
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
Sim card in an eReader for me is a really annoying thing. Which is the complicated part of connecting to a Wifi net? I really dont see the point, and also losing time, resources and phisical space for the companies to add this it is contraproducent
You might have a point about the resources.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:57 AM   #42
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Aura One
replaced my original Note for Note+, way better build quality. display doesnt flex. well, the whole front panel doesnt flex. the plastic bezel you could pry off with your finger. now there is a glue around the whole front panel. nice touch. on my previous device at the bottom where the button is, you could feel the material bending when you pushed slightly on it. however now the device is not certified for google app store, any way around it? god damn it always something.. hopefulyl at least the battery life will be better. the old note did turn off whiel the battery still had 30% and I couldnt power it back on until I placed it on a charger.

Last edited by hkckoo; 10-04-2018 at 06:30 AM.
hkckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #43
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
As a proud owner of Max2 I too would like to say that addition of frontlight would convince me to upgrade the device. I am also a fan of bezeless design.

That's why Kindle Voyage was so successful device. It had both great frontlight and bezeless design that makes text "pop" - simply put it is much closer to the book experience
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #44
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
As a proud owner of Max2 I too would like to say that addition of frontlight would convince me to upgrade the device. I am also a fan of bezeless design.

That's why Kindle Voyage was so successful device. It had both great frontlight and bezeless design that makes text "pop" - simply put it is much closer to the book experience
Onyx has said before that they can't add frontlight to the max 2 as no led and diffuser is enough for a such big screen.

But I think they are just milking the market with minor upgrades every 12 months and we will see it in 1 or 2 years
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #45
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
There is Onyx Boox Elucid in Russia which is Note s with frontlight and sd card (as it says here. Not sure if it really has).
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote