Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2017, 01:28 AM   #16
kwork
Enthusiast
kwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkwork can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
I haven't tried it yet, but I was told that using the "send to USB" option from the Content and Devices page for an ebook on Amazon will cause the .azw file to be downloaded. Then the de-drm tools will work as expected. Can't confirm personally as I turned off automatic updates, and am still on an older version as long as I'm allowed to be.
kwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #17
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I fired up the app to turn off automatic updates and got hit with it. Not happy, considering if you follow the links they list this new version as still being in beta. Note to Amazon: don't auto-update my PC with beta software.

Luckily the latest non-beta is still available on Amazon's site, as others have noted.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 03:32 AM   #18
Alissa1651
Enthusiast
Alissa1651 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app for iOS
Thank you for the news!
Alissa1651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #19
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwork View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but I was told that using the "send to USB" option from the Content and Devices page for an ebook on Amazon will cause the .azw file to be downloaded. Then the de-drm tools will work as expected.
That option is only available if you own an e-ink Kindle device. (Actually it is also available for Fire tablet owners, but then the DRM cannot be removed from the resulting file.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's zero need for Amazon to roll out a new ebook encoding if they just wanted to make removing DRM harder.
But implementing a new, proprietary format which is very hard to hack will practically contribute to increasing protection of ebook copyright, at least until the format is decoded and convertible.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #21
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
But implementing a new, proprietary format which is very hard to hack will practically contribute to increasing protection of ebook copyright, at least until the format is decoded and convertible.
It seems to me that Amazon is more interested in protecting lock-in to their walled garden than in protecting copyright owners.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

My copy of Kindle for PC just updated itself from 1.19.0 (46067) to 1.19.1 (46084).

I guess that there were problems with the 1.19.0 release. That is probably why it hasn't been pushed out as the main release version yet. (The download page still delivers 1.17.1 as of today.)
Old 01-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #23
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Unfortunately, it looks like I am on version 1.19 of my Kindle for PC. I just tried using Calibre to import a book I just got and it won't open the book at all

I looked in the directory where my Kindle books go and used to, they all just appeared in the directory. Now, each book makes a new directory in the main Kindle directory. I don't see mention of any KFZ format, though.

The files that appear are .voucher .azw .azw.md and azw.res along with a tmp directory in the book's directory

I'm at a total loss as I usually get the books from my Kindle, convert them in Calibre into .epub then import them into Marvin on my phone which is my preferred reader.

I did look and I still have the installer for version 1.17. Would I be able to delete my current version and then install 1.17 again and turn off the automatic updater? Would my books revert back to the other format where I can convert them with Calibre?

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,
ShyKat

Last edited by Shykat; 01-15-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: more information
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #24
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
@Shykat

Kindle for PC labels all main book files AZW no matter what the underlying format is. If they're in directories, then they are KFX. Yes, you can install 1.17 and uncheck automatic updates. In fact, that's still the version you can currently download from Amazon. It's just those that have auto update turned on that are getting 1.19 for now.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #25
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Crazy question.... do I need to delete my current version of 1.19 and then install the 1.17 or can I just do the install over the current one and it will revert to the older version?

Do you think the old version will attempt to update to the new one before I can get in and turn that feature off?

Also, the files that are saved in the cloud that were downloaded into the new version.... were the ones in the Cloud changed, too, or are they still in the old version with out the new format? Just trying to think if I'll have to delete them and they redownload them if this all works.

Shykat

Last edited by Shykat; 01-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Also, the files that are saved in the cloud that were downloaded into the new version.... were the ones in the Cloud changed, too, or are they still in the old version with out the new format? Just trying to think if I'll have to delete them and they redownload them if this all works.
The type of file(s) an app are served from the cloud depends on the App/Device. They aren't changed, the cloud contains all the versions needed for various needs (basically).

You'll want to delete the KFX files and use K4PC 1.17.1 to redownload the files which will then be versions compatible with that version of K4PC.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Crazy question.... do I need to delete my current version of 1.19 and then install the 1.17 or can I just do the install over the current one and it will revert to the older version?

Do you think the old version will attempt to update to the new one before I can get in and turn that feature off?

Shykat
Unregister the current installation Delete it, and the folder of downloaded books. Install 1.17 and register it.

Books download to devices/applications in whichever format that device/application needs. If you have 1.17 installed, they'll download in the old format(s), not KFX.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #28
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I didn't unregister mine. I just went into the settings and turned off the auto update, removed 1.19 and reinstalled 1.17.

It's important to turn off auto update before you uninstall 1.19. The settings are retained from version to version, and you want to make sure your new 1.17 install doesn't just update again immediately.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #29
Shykat
Groupie

Thank you, everyone! Now I just have to see if I can get off work at a descent time to get that all done. Hopefully, before they make 1.19 the mandatory download file.

Shykat
Old 01-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #30
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Once you get version 1.17 save the download file in case you ever need it again.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote