Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware 3.8.0 released

Kobo have started to roll-out firmware version 3.8.0 to "a small subset of Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, and Kobo Aura customers". Who they will be, I don't know.

I think this is a release to get things in order for the new Aura H2O. All new Kobo devices have factory firmware on it but will do an update as part of the setup. This is probably that that firmware. But, it wouldn't surprise me to see a 3.8.1 shortly after the release.

The list of changes that Kobo told the beta list about, with my comments below each, are:
  • 'Sort Collections' is back
    This was partly fixed in 3.5.0 but seems be more completer now
  • Aura HD: Book Synopsis text was too small
    I think this affect the Glo as well. Italics tags work in the synopsis text again.
  • Fixed some intermittent Pocket Sign in and Sync issues
  • Cancelling out of purchase was taking you back to Home instead of previous context
  • Cycle power switch quickly > light may stay on in sleep mode
    With 3.5.0, I saw the light go off after a sleep or connect. I haven't seen this yet.
  • Unable to highlight full paragraph
  • [New Feature for Glo/Aura HD] One-finger brightness control: When light is on, swipe finger up/down along left edge of screen while reading to adjust brightness
    A very nice feature and works well. The only warning is that if starting the swipe is a bit slow, it can select the text.

The other things I, or others, have found are:
  • Ability to take screenshots is back. This works the same as before.
  • Viewing the details of a purchased kepub shows the cover even when not connected.
  • Solves transparent images rendering which sometimes were drawn in black (no transparency at all).

As to other known problems, the answer is "NO". That "no" means "it hasn't changed". With each firmware I see, I test a lot of the known problems (fonts, annotations list, lots of other things). If they had been fixed, I would list them above. I also test any known config file changes (such as full screen reading) but, I do not test any of the hacks or other add-ons.

Calibre has not been updated for this release. I will do this later today. I will also add support for the Aura H2O at the same time.
Update: Calibre has been updated and should be in the release on 29/8/2014.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-28-2014 at 08:32 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo have started to roll-out firmware version 3.8.0 to "a small subset of Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, and Kobo Aura customers". Who they will be, I don't know.

I think this is a release to get things in order for the new Aura H2O. All new Kobo devices have factory firmware on it but will do an update as part of the setup. This is probably that that firmware. But, it wouldn't surprise me to see a 3.8.1 shortly after the release.
The links for the three firmware versions have been posted in the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread in the Developer's Corner. Check near the end of the thread until they've been moved into the first message.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Wow, that's a big jump from 3.5 to 3.8 (for the Glo).

Thanks David for your comments, I feel more confident now of downloading it.

Edit
I'm just a tad confused, do I just download the whole zip in the usual way, or do I need to do something else because of the affiliate tag?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 08-27-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add the edit
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Got it on my Aura HD. The one finger swipe for the lighting is indeed a treat.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Wow, that's a big jump from 3.5 to 3.8 (for the Glo).
We know where 3.7.0 went, but not 3.6.0
Quote:
Thanks David for your comments, I feel more confident now of downloading it.

Edit
I'm just a tad confused, do I just download the whole zip in the usual way, or do I need to do something else because of the affiliate tag?
When Kobo roll-out the firmware, it is done in groups. One of the groups used are the affiliates. "BestBuyCa" seems to be one of the earliest affiliates that get upgrades. The affiliate you have does not have an affect if you manually upgrade the firmware.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@davidfor thanks again
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
It's always nice when my HD learns a new trick. Nice update.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Is it possible to change your affiliate to force the downloads quicker? If that does work regardless of where you connect from, what is the exact line needed?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm still waiting on 3.5.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Is it possible to change your affiliate to force the downloads quicker? If that does work regardless of where you connect from, what is the exact line needed?
In the .kobo folder is a file called affiliate.conf (I edited mine with Notepad ++).

affiliate=BestBuyCa will get you the new firmware download when you sync, just did it on my Aura HD a little while ago (mine usually says KoboDirect for the affiliate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
I'm still waiting on 3.5.
IIRC they pulled 3.50 before everyone had gotten it (or that's what I read here), not sure why.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Any changes/improvements in PDF support and viewing?
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
affiliate=BestBuyCa will get you the new firmware download when you sync, just did it on my Aura HD a little while ago (mine usually says KoboDirect for the affiliate). ...
Thanks, that worked like a charm and got it updated on the first sync. Having bought mine from an independent bookstore, I didn't think I'd see a real update for months unless I manually loaded it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 AM   #13
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As to other known problems, the answer is "NO". That "no" means "it hasn't changed".
Point taken

Otherwise a nice update. The one-finger light adjustment is even better than the two-finger before, if nothing else then because having finger smudges on the far side of the screen is nicer than having them right in the middle (and of course two fingers smudge twice as much as one). Also, the tiny preview text in 3.3 was a pain - I always make a point of inserting a nice preview into all my books when absent from the publisher (which is to say, almost always), and the tiny font size there really bugged me.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
As well as the synopsis font size fix, italics tags work in the synopsis text again.

It seems the extra cover image with the filename ending in - AndroidBookLoadTablet_Aspect.parsed is no longer needed, so that is one less file Calibre needs to create when sending covers for sideloaded books.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
As well as the synopsis font size fix, italics tags work in the synopsis text again.
The italics I hadn't noticed. Was bold working before?
Quote:
It seems the extra cover image with the filename ending in - AndroidBookLoadTablet_Aspect.parsed is no longer needed, so that is one less file Calibre needs to create when sending covers for sideloaded books.
Yes. they don't seem to be needed. I have update the driver to support the Aura H2O and 3.8.0, but I haven't removed this cover yet. I need to revisit that chunk of code.