Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 05:06 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
More help with Latin, please

I'm working on Smoke by Ivan Turgenev for the MobileRead library, and have come across some Latin by Catullus:

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasce requiris. Nescio: sed fieri sentio, et excrucior.

Can anyone translate it please?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm working on Smoke by Ivan Turgenev for the MobileRead library, and have come across some Latin by Catullus:

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasce requiris. Nescio: sed fieri sentio, et excrucior.

Can anyone translate it please?
This is one of the most famous of all Latin love poems, and was (as you say) written by Catullus, and addressed to his mistress, Lesbia:

I hate and I love.
Why do I do this, perhaps you ask.
I don't know; but I feel it happening, and I am tortured.

("Excrucior" literally means "I am crucified" - ie nailed to a cross - but "tortured" probably gives a better sense of the meaning as used figuratively here.)

Last edited by HarryT; 11-30-2017 at 05:20 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've read a few books on my Kindle with latin phrases and there isn't a latin translation available. I bought a latin to English dictionary and that helps but it's clumsy and I have to look up individual words and that gives no aid in the case of idiomatic phrases.

Google helps a lot too. But this is one of the major drawbacks of the Kindle. There are lots of latin phrases in older books and I read a lot of older books.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is one of the most famous of all Latin love poems, and was (as you say) written by Catullus, and addressed to his mistress, Lesbia:

I hate and I love.

("Excrucior" literally means "I am crucified" - ie nailed to a cross - but "tortured" probably gives a better sense of the meaning as used figuratively here.)
Thanks, Harry. I appreciate your quick response.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've read a few books on my Kindle with latin phrases and there isn't a latin translation available. I bought a latin to English dictionary and that helps but it's clumsy and I have to look up individual words and that gives no aid in the case of idiomatic phrases.

Google helps a lot too. But this is one of the major drawbacks of the Kindle. There are lots of latin phrases in older books and I read a lot of older books.

Barry
Google translate helps sometimes, but in this case choked on a phrase in the middle.
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Google translate helps sometimes, but in this case choked on a phrase in the middle.
Code:
    Odi et amo. quare id faciam fortasce requiris.
    nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.'
I suspect that what caused the choking is a typo. I think that fortasce should have been fortasse.

With that correction google translate spits out:

Code:
I hate and I love. Why do I do this, perhaps you ask.
    I do not know, but I feel it happening and I am tortured.'
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn’t even notice that . Yes, “fortasse” just means “perhaps” or “maybe”.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:10 AM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:

I hate and I love.

I thought Latin for crucified was crucifigo? torture-by-nails
And crucio was just the catch-all torture.

Admittedly, your Latin is a damn sight better than mine though
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I thought Latin for crucified was crucifigo? torture-by-nails
And crucio was just the catch-all torture.
It is the catch-all torture, but my Latin dictionary notes that the verb "crucio" derives from the noun "crux" (cross), so it would appear that crucifixion is at least a closely-related idea.

"crucifigo" seems to be a Late/Vulgar Latin word - it's not in my classical Latin dictionary.

"(ex)crucio" is of course the origin of the English "excruciating" (as well as the "cruciatus" curse in Harry Potter ).
Old 12-01-2017, 04:41 AM   #10
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
It is the catch-all torture, but my Latin dictionary notes that the verb "crucio" derives from the noun "crux" (cross), so it would appear that crucifixion is at least a closely-related idea.

"crucifigo" seems to be a Late/Vulgar Latin word - it's not in my classical Latin dictionary.

"(ex)crucio" is of course the origin of the English "excruciating" (as well as the "cruciatus" curse in Harry Potter ).
Well, looks like I may be using trendy Latin then with these new-fangled words
So, looks like it started as crucify, became a catch-all and then needed a variant to refer specifically to the cross then

What does your classical dictionary say about tortura?
I think it started out as specifically torture used to compel a response (as opposed to just cause torment).

Edit : Looks like it comes from the old french for twist.

Last edited by MikeB1972; 12-01-2017 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Looked it up.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
What does your classical dictionary say about tortura?
I think it started out as specifically torture used to compel a response (as opposed to just cause torment).

Edit : Looks like it comes from the old french for twist.
My dictionary says that the verb "torto" means "to torment or torture", and related words do indeed have the meaning of "twist" or "bend". Eg the word "tortuotus" means "full of twists and bends". Exactly the same sense as the English word "tortuous", in other words.