Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
8gb or 32 gb oasis?

I got a new Oasis on the 31st, and charged it and put it back in the box cause it is supposed to be a Christmas present. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake getting the 8 gb. I have a pw2, and that is full. I put a lot of books on my fire SD card, but calibre had a hard time handling 1000s of books.

I am not sure putting a lot of books on my kindle is a good idea anyway. How do you handle a lot of books? If you bought the 32gb, why?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The primary need for the 32 GB SD card is audiobooks OR many illustrated books. I often use Whispersync, but find it easy to switch between audio on my Echo or Fire and my ereader. Just need to refresh and it catches up for you.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm sure you'll be fine with the 8gb one--as Tarana said, the main reason for buying the 32gb one would be if you wanted to put audiobooks on your reader or illustrated books (pdfs or comic books).
Depending on the PW model you have, you either have 2gb or 4gb or storage, so the 8gb Oasis will give you double or quadruple the amount of storage you have.
As a point of reference, I have a Kobo Aura One with 8gb--6.5gb is user accessible. I have about 1500 books on my Aura One and still have 4.5gb free.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I am not sure putting a lot of books on my kindle is a good idea anyway. How do you handle a lot of books? If you bought the 32gb, why?
Have you read my thread on the subject?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291838
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I'm sure you'll be fine with the 8gb one--as Tarana said, the main reason for buying the 32gb one would be if you wanted to put audiobooks on your reader or illustrated books (pdfs or comic books).
Or if you just want to carry a lot of books around with you. Eg, I have a little under 9000 books on my KO2.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
It also depends what kind of books you read.
I just got Walter Isaacson's Leonardo da Vinci, Kindle version is 521460 KB (epub is around 465 MB).
Few of these kinds of books and 8GB is finished.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
It also depends what kind of books you read.
I just got Walter Isaacson's Leonardo da Vinci, Kindle version is 521460 KB (epub is around 465 MB).
Few of these kinds of books and 8GB is finished.
Definitely, although presumable the extreme size of that book is due to pictures? As such, an LCD tablet is probably a much better way to view it that an eInk device!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Definitely, although presumable the extreme size of that book is due to pictures? As such, an LCD tablet is probably a much better way to view it that an eInk device!
Sure, but it has a lot of text and I prefer reading the text on my Oasis, can't really read books on Ipad. (I just checked, more than 600 pages, no Ipad for me).
And it's not the only one that is big. Montefiore's Romanovs Kindle version is 324024 KB.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Sure, but it has a lot of text and I prefer reading the text on my Oasis, can't really read books on Ipad. (I just checked, more than 600 pages, no Ipad for me).
And it's not the only one that is big. Montefiore's Romanovs Kindle version is 324024 KB.
The Montefiore Kindle version is listed on Amazon as 9236 bytes. I have that book and it certainly doesn't take up 324 megabytes. I'd be interested in the Leonardo one, the size doesn't matter on a 32 GB Kindle, but I can't justify £14.99 to myself.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
If you bought the 32gb, why?
Mainly because they didn't have the 8GB version in stock and I was excited. I have always had a thing for physical page-turn buttons over touch-screens, but the 1st Gen Oasis's battery cover put me off. So when this reader came out, I knew it would be one I would use for many hours/years. I really don't think I'll ever need the space, but I figured I may as well.

Quote:
How do you handle a lot of books?
Since the device has so much space, I have been very strict about putting each and every book in a collection on the reader as soon as I have loaded it on. Throwing my whole collection (about 5,000 items) on there is a waste of time if it isn't properly organised and browseable.

If I were you, I would be happy with the 8GB version.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Mainly because they didn't have the 8GB version in stock and I was excited. I have always had a thing for physical page-turn buttons over touch-screens, but the 1st Gen Oasis's battery cover put me off. So when this reader came out, I knew it would be one I would use for many hours/years. I really don't think I'll ever need the space, but I figured I may as well.

Since the device has so much space, I have been very strict about putting each and every book in a collection on the reader as soon as I have loaded it on. Throwing my whole collection (about 5,000 items) on there is a waste of time if it isn't properly organised and browseable.

If I were you, I would be happy with the 8GB version.
I have a thing for physical page turn buttons also. Looking forward to reading on my 8gb
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
The Montefiore Kindle version is listed on Amazon as 9236 bytes. I have that book and it certainly doesn't take up 324 megabytes. I'd be interested in the Leonardo one, the size doesn't matter on a 32 GB Kindle, but I can't justify £14.99 to myself.
So you bought a reader for more than 200 quid and cannot justify spending 15 on a book?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I have the 32 GB Kindle and the storage is worthless when Amazon won't allow us to use directories, or sort by series. But it does have a dual core CPU so it should be better equipped to sort large libraries. But if you can go without storing all your books there then use the 8 GB. Or get a Kobo, which is just a little better because it does allow you to sort by series.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
I have the 32 GB Kindle and the storage is worthless when Amazon won't allow us to use directories, or sort by series.
I can sort by series absolutely fine on mine. I use a Calibre metadata plugboard to prefix series name and number to a book's title, so when I sort by either author or title I see series in order. I currently have almost 9000 books on my KO2, and it works very well indeed.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
One of the first things I did as soon as Manage Your Contents had Cloud Collections was scroll through my entire library and check every book was in a collection. I'm a bit OCD like that.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote