Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2017, 02:48 AM   #1
limcs
limcs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Overdrive not available on Kobo Aura One

Hi,

I need some help/advice from the members here.

First time user of an Ereader. I have recently purchased a Kobo Aura One from Japan but cannot find the Overdrive app under Settings.

Based on the box, the model is N709-KJ-BK-S-EP and software version is 4.2.8432.

I purchased this model with the intention of using the Overdrive to borrow books from my local library in Singapore.

Is it because the Japan model doesn't have Overdrive built-in (albeit the in-device manual does talk about it)?

Is there anyway to get this feature on my unit?

Thanks in advance for any help rendered.

Regards,
limcs
limcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:55 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm afraid it's because you're in Singapore and Kobo doesn't activate Overdrive for all the countries. The only way to activate it is to associate the device with a Kobo account which is in one of the countries where it's available (from the top of my head USA, Canada and UK).

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 02-25-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 03:04 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by limcs View Post
I purchased this model with the intention of using the Overdrive to borrow books from my local library in Singapore.
Hi, it's been discussed here a number of times - Overdrive on KA1 is only supported in a few countries. If you have a look at the main KA1 page at kobo.com, this is quite clear:

Quote:
"Get connected to your local public library right from your Kobo Aura ONE with built-in OverDrive.* Set-up is easy and free, all you need is your library card. With one integrated catalogue, Kobo and your Local Library make it easy to search for the eBook you want and choose to borrow or buy, it’s that simple.

*Dependent on library participation, available throughout most public libraries in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. eBook availability will vary based on library."
Sorry about that.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:05 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I'm afraid it's because you're in Singapore and Kobo doesn't activate Overdrive for all the countries. The only way to activate it is to associate the device with a Kobo account which is in one of the countries where it's available (from the top of my head USA, Canada and UK).
Does that work when using the device with a Singapore public library?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:09 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Does that work when using the device with a Singapore public library?
I don't really know, but it's the only chance. I've tested it with USA libraries.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 03:49 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm pretty sure it won't. I believe the library has to sign up for this as well. Kobo and Overdrive aren't likely to include libraries outside the supported countries.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #7
limcs

Thank you all for your inputs. Appreciate it.

Kind of disappointing as I was really looking forward to be able to use this feature right off the reader. Currently, what I do is to load the library books via PC.

If I am to change the Country to indicate as USA (e.g.), does that mean I can just change my info/profile under my existing Kobo account or I will need a new account. If the latter then it will be super inconvenient.

I wonder if there is a way to trick the device to open up this app?

Regardless, thank you for your comments.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:56 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm pretty sure it won't. I believe the library has to sign up for this as well. Kobo and Overdrive aren't likely to include libraries outside the supported countries.
So if I bought a KA1 and signed in to a library outside the supported countries, it would not work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:11 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if I bought a KA1 and signed in to a library outside the supported countries, it would not work?
I'm pretty sure that's what I said. Except I hope it won't let you sign into the library if it isn't supported.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
bo.thomasen
bo.thomasen began at the beginning.

Hi
I'm located in Denmark. Overdrive is only avalible for foreign language loans (eReolen global).

I was able to get it to work.

I only works on my KA1, when I prettend to be located in USA. I simply changed my country in my Kobo-profile on their website from a Danish adress to an american. Then the Overdrive settings apeared in the settings menu on the KA1.

Kind regards,
Bo

Last edited by bo.thomasen; 03-03-2017 at 08:39 AM.
bo.thomasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:09 AM   #11
limcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo.thomasen View Post
Hi
I'm located in Denmark. Overdrive is only avalible for foreign language loans (eReolen global).

I was able to get it to work.

I only works on my KA1, when I prettend to be located in USA. I simply changed my country in my Kobo-profile on their website from a Danish adress to an american. Then the Overdrive settings apeared in the settings menu on the KA1.

Kind regards,
Bo
I managed to get OverDrive on my KA1 but I am not sure which change triggered that. I was playing around with my profile and changed it to USA and at the same time I changed the affiliate under .kobo to "bol" (was browsing another thread relating to firmware update which btw worked).

I can indeed log on to the local library now; it accepted my logon from the KA1.

I have tried to borrow and it also worked. However, even though the pop-up message mentioned the expiry date of the ebook is like 3 weeks later, the KA1 downloaded and immediately indicated the ebook as "Expired". Still trying to figure this one.....

A little confusing (probably to those reading this too!) is I don't know how the OD-on-KA1 managed to also download/sync titles that I have already borrowed using OD on my ipad (albeit also showing expired) . When I tried to borrow another book on the ipad after the OD-on-KA1 became available to see if it will sync, it didn't yield the same end result.

As said, it is all a little confusing right now but I can confirm OD indeed can be been turned on once the necessary setting is done.

I will play around more but if I cannot figure it out, I will just continue to use ADE via PC although the OD on KA1 was soooooo straightforward. I was initially so ecstatic that it worked but alas it was a brief one....
Old 03-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by limcs View Post
I managed to get OverDrive on my KA1 but I am not sure which change triggered that. I was playing around with my profile and changed it to USA and at the same time I changed the affiliate under .kobo to "bol" (was browsing another thread relating to firmware update which btw worked).
Changing country of your Kobo account to one that supports OD is what other people have done and it worked. I think one they have the account Kobo account and the OD account connected, they were able to change back.
Quote:
I can indeed log on to the local library now; it accepted my logon from the KA1.
My understanding was that the library had to be signed up. But, maybe it's that they need to be signed up to some service and this is included. Or it could be a sign that Kobo are expanding the service to other countries.
Quote:
I have tried to borrow and it also worked. However, even though the pop-up message mentioned the expiry date of the ebook is like 3 weeks later, the KA1 downloaded and immediately indicated the ebook as "Expired". Still trying to figure this one.....

A little confusing (probably to those reading this too!) is I don't know how the OD-on-KA1 managed to also download/sync titles that I have already borrowed using OD on my ipad (albeit also showing expired) . When I tried to borrow another book on the ipad after the OD-on-KA1 became available to see if it will sync, it didn't yield the same end result.
I can't comment on the expired status, but once the accounts are connected, anything borrowed using OD that has a matching book in the Kobo store should download to the device when you next sync. I don't have the device, so I can't test it. But, others have reported that it works.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
limcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Changing country of your Kobo account to one that supports OD is what other people have done and it worked. I think one they have the account Kobo account and the OD account connected, they were able to change back.
I have successfully gotten OD on KA1 to work now. However, changing the country in Profile don't work for me; the option to borrow will disappear from the list if I change the country. The OD remained signed in but i can no longer see the option to borrow.

I will try again later this evening to double confirm.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Spoonerism!
Spoonerism! began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Question UK based, UK bought Kobo Aura ONE

Hi everyone,

My wife just got a Kobo solely to link up with her OverDrive account here in the UK.

Nothing we do will help us locate the OverDrive options in Settings.

Her Kobo account payment page showed UK, so I added our address for good measure, then I synched her device. No joy, so I tried making it USA, synched, still nothing. Back to UK, turned it off and on, nope and synched once more for luck and nada.

Do you have any ideas? It's really frustrating as she's been struggling to sleep recently and bought the Kobo for the good night reading orange light.

Thanks a lot.
Spoonerism! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism! View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife just got a Kobo solely to link up with her OverDrive account here in the UK.

Nothing we do will help us locate the OverDrive options in Settings.

Her Kobo account payment page showed UK, so I added our address for good measure, then I synched her device. No joy, so I tried making it USA, synched, still nothing. Back to UK, turned it off and on, nope and synched once more for luck and nada.

Do you have any ideas? It's really frustrating as she's been struggling to sleep recently and bought the Kobo for the good night reading orange light.

Thanks a lot.
Is the firmware up to date? (can't remember if it was enabled in the earliest versions)

Probably not much help, but here's Kobo's help page for A1/OverDrive...
https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...-kobo-aura-one

If worse comes to worse you can sideload the library books to the Aura One using Adobe Digital Editions while trying to figure the rest out. That would at least get her reading.
https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...ticles/1481071
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote