Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2022, 11:53 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
I take it that you've never read anything by James Joyce.
Sadly, I read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man decades ago. Didn't care a whit for it. As for Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake... Just have no interest. Those books are more interesting to read about than to read.

I do have Alan Moore's Jerusalem on my list.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:54 AM   #32
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
No. I read on the couch or in bed and if I want to research I pull up the tablet.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2022, 06:24 AM   #33
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
The major reason for that preference, is that on my tablet, I can add material by the directory, including all sub-directories, whereas on my desktop, I have to add items one at a time.
I don't understand what you're saying.
Most bulk or advanced operations can be more easily done on a desktop.
Are you missing some sort of tool? What exactly are you doing?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:50 AM   #34
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Just the thought of PC reading is eyes-aching
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #35
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do like the ability to quickly research aspects of what I'm reading but I do so using my tablet rather instead of the PC. Mostly because I can carry the tablet around with me and can use it where ever I happen to be.

The main tasks I use our PC for are reading this forum, maintaining Calibre and doing tasks with a lot of typing.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 05:01 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
No, for a couple of reasons. The most important is the eye muscle strain from tracking horizontally on a screen much too far from my eyes. I do much better with narrow columns of text, on a device held below my eyes, to make the best use of my progressive lenses. And I love backlit e-ink.

In the days before tablets, I read the local newspaper online, and news sites. Now with our iPads, I rarely read anything but the banking site and Quicken on the PC. But no pleasure reading.
that's why I usually resize the application on which I'm reading to a narrower size (like 4:3 portrait-like). And when an internet page (like MR itself) resizes the content window, I'll resize the browser so that the browser is just wider than than that content on the page and I can position the browser wherever it's most comfortable. My biggest problem is really position. I just dislike sitting upright while reading
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:16 AM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
. I just dislike sitting upright while reading
Amen to Slouch on the Couch reading

Just another benefit of a 6", LIGHT (the weight of some dead tree novels was damaging my Cat, which I used as a Book Prop. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:59 AM   #38
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
I would never read books on a computer. I work in IT as a software developer and I already manage to stare at the screen for 7.5 hours a day. I love my Kindle for the fact that I get away from the computer/tv/phone/ipad.

If I would have to do some research, I would still use my Kindle and use computer for the research part.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:07 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I started reading eBooks, I started reading them on an old Dell Laptop. That was not long before the Sony Reader PRS-500 came out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:13 AM   #40
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Yes. Why not? I take breaks while working. I stretch my legs in the desk and read with Foliate, KOReader or the Calibre Reader opened in one monitor.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #41
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I do not read novels on my computer. Just the thought of that fills me with dismay.

But I do research of technical stuff on my computer. That is usually reading PDF's. That is much easier on my computer. I have a horizontally oriented 27" monitor and a vertically oriented 23" monitor in a dual display setup. Depending on what I'm reading, sometimes the vertically oriented monitor is far superior because you can display so much more information on it. Even when viewing most webpages, there is tons of wasted space on both sides when using a horizontally oriented monitor. Here's what I see as I'm typing this post now (horizontally oriented and vertically oriented):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2022-11-25 08-20-09.png
Views:	760
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	198006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2022-11-25 08-27-41b.png
Views:	121
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	198007  

Last edited by haertig; 11-25-2022 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added vertically oriented screenshot
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #42
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I don't understand what you're saying.
Most bulk or advanced operations can be more easily done on a desktop.
Are you missing some sort of tool? What exactly are you doing?
_Calibre_ is the only ebook software that I can throw at /media/data/books, that will walk through that directory, and all sub-directories, without me having to do anything else, adding them to its library.

Everything else for desktop is like _FBReader_. Pick /media/data/books/Roman/Handwriting.pdf, then add it to its library, then pick /media/data/books/Roman/Encyclopedia.pdf, then add it to its library, then pick /media/data/books/Roman/Psychogram.pdf, then add it to its library, repeated 10,000+ times.

On Android, _Document Viewer_ automatically walks through every folder in the main storage. _Librera FD_ requires me tell me which folders to scan, and it automatically scans them. It will scan both SD Cards, and the main storage area.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:31 AM   #43
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
I work as a software developer and doing that on a computer for 7.5 hours a day is plenty enough of screen for me. Also, having a device without social media is nothing but a plus for me.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 04:18 AM   #44
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
I wouldn’t say that I enjoy it, but I have no issue with reading on my 27” iMac. I’ve done it on several occasions. If I have time to kill between tasks, and when I don’t have my Kindle handy, are the times I’m most likely to read on my Mac. But it’s not my preferred way to read.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #45
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I use my ipads for reading. kobo i use mty sage
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote